• Sauce

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Fresh (uncooked) relish

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Wobbly Jelly variety

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • All 3 - and may I have some more?

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Nope, keep 'em off my plate - cranberry eschewer.

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters

Janet H

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
It's that time of year...

What sort of berry eater are you?

Do you prefer sauced, fresh ground relish or the wobbly kind with the rings from the tin?

At my house we are split. I like 'em cooked, he likes fresh ground with apples, orange and walnuts. We generally have the tinned variety as well if guests are expected (and it's great on toasted bagels with cream cheese). One table, 3 flavors - the bird is outnumbered.

These are cooling on the stove at the moment...

berries_2.jpg

Last edited:
I voted all 3, but of the three, I like them fresh and eaten raw.

I grew up with the wobbly jelly out of the can. That seems to be the only form and taste that I can eat cranberries. Old habits are hard to get ride of. :)

In my cranberry wine, made from bags of cranberries from last year's Thanksgiving. They're normally super cheap the Monday after Thanksgiving, and I buy about 20#.

Fresh here, unless they're in a fruit cake. Yeah I'm that person that loves fruit cake.

Spiced sauce -- cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. A little honey. Tiny bit of brown sugar.

Thankfully DH and I are firmly in the no berry camp.

I like all 3, just not at the same time. With turkey and mashed I prefer cooked cranberries with spicy seasoning.

2 other ways I enjoy cranberries are dried for my trail mix and juice with vodka and tonic that uses real quinine.

Fresh here, unless they're in a fruit cake. Yeah I'm that person that loves fruit cake.

Good fruit cake is a real treat!

The key word is 'good'. Most of the stuff sold in stores and in mail-order gift baskets is not so good, IMHO. Comparing most commercial holiday fruit cakes to a well made fruit cake is like comparing a $3 frozen pizza to one made at a good pizzeria or at home.

Chunky in the can. But since I'm the only one I get the wobbly jelly in the can.
It is mighty good on toast with peanut butter.

Sauce and wobbly, both great in the leftover turkey and cream cheese sandwiches!

Only this year, did I look on a bag of cranberries to see the recipe.
It seems a lot easier than I imagined. Will give it a try sometime.
This year was too late, so committed to canned berry style.

Only like dried cranberries, especially in chicken salad.

We had 3 kinds. The jellied from a can is my favorite on the plate with turkey and stuffing. Dried cranberries in the stuffing with apples and walnuts. Whole cranberry sauce with walnuts on top of Brie and wrapped in puff pastry.

Cheers!

DW makes ours in a Grand Marnier mix. It sets up in the refrigerator.

IMG-1650.jpg

Last edited:
Ocean Spray. Neat - no ice, no water. In a whiskey glass.

Heh heh heh - Just kidding. No sauce on the plate but I like a glass of the juice and not just once a year. :cool: ;)

I make a really good cranberry sauce with ginger, orange zest, orange juice... So I voted sauce. The ginger really makes the flavor profile work.

Not a fan of the canned stuff... but it does remind me of the first episode of Succession where 2 of the kids show up to a fancy t-day dinner at their dads with cans of cranberry jelly. I guess they were taught to bring a food item. No matter how rich you are, any food item will do. (One of the *only* redeeming qualities of these kids.)

I can't stand cranberries in any form. The are way too astringent to me.

I used to buy a can of sauce for my SO who likes cranberries but he pretty much always forgot to open it so I don't bother anymore.

Back
Top Bottom