Fall in Maine/NE

tmitchell

Recycles dryer sheets
I’ve been digging around here for suggestions but haven’t found a good answer.

We are renting an Airbnb in Portland ME for a month mid September as a base for exploring the fall magic in New England.

We plan to start by flying into Boston and tour around there for 3-4 days then head up to Maine.

What would be your top 3 day(ish) excursions from Portland across the month?

Maine is beautiful that time of year.

1. Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor area. (If possible, include Schoodic section of Acadia in Winter Harbor, about an hour’s drive from “Bah Habah”.)
2. Portsmouth, NH area including Strawberry Banke.
3. The many fishing towns/villages along Mid-Coast/Down East Maine.

Other interesting things to see/do although not 3-4 day excursions:
1. Freeport/L.L. Bean (only if you’re into shopping/crowds)
2. Campobello Is., New Brunswick (summer home of the Roosevelt)
3. A day-excursion on a boat to any one of many quaint islands off the coast).

It depends on what your interests are, but I would second the suggestion to visit Acadia! We had a 4 day Fall trip to Bar Harbor, planned to spend a 1/2 day driving thru Acadia, ended up visiting Acadia 3 out of 4 days we loved it so much. We did a whale watch out of Bar Harbor, loved that. Bar Harbor is cute, and the bar phenomena is interesting, but once you've seen it...next.

We also enjoyed stopping by LL Bean, but if you're not already a customer it's not that fascinating.

Lobster pounds, yummy. I don't know if it's still true, but we drove by more than one McDonalds that had Lobster Rolls on the sign board out front (not suggesting you get one there, just sayin)!

As far as I'm concerned, there's no better time to visit than September, you hit that right!

We enjoyed all the coastal towns in ME with the exception of Boothbay, way too touristy for our tastes, but too each his/her own. We had a reservation at a B&B in Boothbay, but we cancelled that and didn't even spend one night there after looking around.

Last edited:
My spouse and I lived in the Boston area in the 80s. We are flying into BOS on Aug 30th and spending six weeks touring around. The first night we will stay near Logan, then spend two nights in Salem, MA. From there we are renting an AirBnB on a lake across the street from some good friends and we will see other friends while there.

After that we will spend a night with some cousins I had wanted to see for a long time in Southern Maine. We will take 2 days to drive to Bar Harbor.

After researching the Maritime provinces, we discovered Gros Morne National Park in newfoundland. OMG, we are trying to decide whether to cancel everything Bar Harbor and driving back to Logan after visiting my cousins and flying to NewFoundland. Gros Morne looks amazing.

We are in the early stages of planning so we will have to see. We could cancel the rental car so we only rent it for a couple of weeks then return to Logan and fly to Newfoundland.

I hope others will chime in on this thread so we can get new ideas. I will update once we come to some conclusions. OP, I hope you will post/update your itinerary once you decide.

Like mentioned above, it really does depend on what you’re into.
Starting in the Boston area, if you have time, take a ride up north to visit Gloucester. It’s a beautiful drive and great scenery.
We have usually stayed in Kennebunkport. They have a very walkable downtown with great places to eat. Take a drive down Ocean Ave to see Walkers Point. It is owned by the Bush Family and Jeb, just built a house here. You can see the house where President Bush and Barbara used to live as well.
Skip the crowds and downtown of Ogunquit, but stop by Perkins Cove and walk the Marginal Way. It’s a short, but beautiful walkway right on the ocean.
If you don’t have time on the ride to Portland, this would make a nice day trip, backtracking to some of these coastal towns.
In Boothbay Harbor, I would recommend the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. These are beautiful anytime of the year.
With that much time in Portland, I would definitely suggest getting out onto the water. Casco Bay, off of Portland, has literally hundreds of islands. Either by schooner, Ferry, Lobster boat or kayak, it’s definitely worth exploring. Whale cruises are fun as well if you never did one.
Bar Harbor and Arcadia should be on top of anyones list.
Part of the beauty of NE and Maine is just the natural beauty of the land. Whether you like, lighthouses, covered bridges, wineries, lobster, history, fairs, shopping, make a tour that fits your likes and enjoy.
While this may not have been what you were specifically asking, hopefully it brings up some ideas as to what to do.

When you are in Boston take the Rhode Island mansion tour. It’s all day by bus and having the history explained as well as seeing the mansions was great. They give you a few hours free time in a little town to have lunch and explore.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll check them out & update with an itinerary. I totally forgot LL Bean is up there.

@RunningBum I'll do my best to avoid the traffic! :cool:

When you are in Boston take the Rhode Island mansion tour. It’s all day by bus and having the history explained as well as seeing the mansions was great. They give you a few hours free time in a little town to have lunch and explore.
DW grew up near Newport, so we’ve been to all the Newport mansions many times. Each has its own tour, I’d do that over a bus tour. If you go, don’t miss The Breakers and Marble House inside tours. I liked The Elms a lot, and Chateau-sur-Mer but they’re not as popular. Downtown Newport on the water is wonderful, I can give you all the skinny on what to do in Newport if you’re interested - been dozens of times, at least once a year for 40 years.

Last edited:
I can give you all the skinny on what to do in Newport if you’re interested - been dozens of times, at least once a year for 40 years.

Yes that’d be great! My partner has Breakers on the agenda.

Yes that’d be great! My partner has Breakers on the agenda.
  • Visit The Breakers and Marble House, other mansions if they appeal to you and more.
  • Take Thames St out to Ocean Drive, absolutely gorgeous views and homes (Jay Leno's $19M mansion) - several places to stop, and come back to Newport on Bellevue Ave Newport, RI – Ten Mile Drive
  • Park around Bowen's Wharf, and shop it you like. Several good restaurants, recommend the Black Pearl outside but it will probably be VERY crowded. https://bowenswharf.com
  • If you want to get out on the water, I recommend Madeline (sail) or Rum Runner (power) off Bowen's Wharf - reserve in advance. If you want to sail and Madeline is full, Adirondack Schooner is a decent alternative. There's also a basic harbor tour boat, the Coastal Queen, but I much prefer Madeline or Rum Runner. https://www.cruisenewport.com/private-charters/madeleine-rum-runner-ii/
If you want more, or have questions, just PM.

Last edited:
A nice day drive from Portland is the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire. It is a beautiful drive during foliage season. It runs through the White Mountain National Forest. There are several points of interest, The Flume, Franconia Notch, etc that are worth a stop.

I also always recommend visitors to take a ferry from Portland to Peaks Island, rent a bike (or golf cart), and take a ride around the island. You can pack a picnic lunch and stop on the back side of the island with views of the Ram Island lighthouse.

Rasberrycpa

Great ideas,all. We took a trip called "Fall Foliage by Rail" The attached story may give you ideas.

Attachments

• NEW ENGLAND FALL FOLIAGE BY RAIL 2012.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 10
One of our favorite cities is Camden, ME. We were lounging on the grass at the port one Summer afternoon watching all the schooners and mahogany yachts cleaning their decks and prepping for voyages.

It's a town with beautiful B&B's made out of the homes of the sailing ship capitains of the 1800's.

If you have time for Newport, the mansions are a must for anyone. We did a helicopter tour. I don’t remember how much it was, but I don’t remember it being too outrageous. That was a great way to see the “summer cottages”. If there is time, check out the cliff walk.

On the way from MA to ME, get off the highway in NH and take route 1a, Ocean Blvd. while not Newport mansions, there are quite a few amazing homes that are right on the water.

If you have a sweet tooth like us, stop off in ME on the way to Portland in Scarborough. Len Libby candies is fantastic and the smell as soon as you go in is intoxicating. Not to mention they have Lenny, a real size moose made of of chocolate.
Also,
In Yarmouth is the Eartha Globe. The world’s largest rotating and revolving globe in the world. This is at DeLorme, who makes maps and GPS devices. It’ll take you longer to park and find the entrance, than to look around, but it’s interesting if you like maps and globes.
In Freeport, LL Beans flagship store was a must for us, but to find good bargains, they have an outlet a few blocks away where we found some good deals. There are 2 good restaurants right next to the main store. Linda Beans Maine Kitchen (seafood)is right across the street and to the right of the store is Jameson Tavern. This is a historic tavern that serve up American type food.
Happy planning

A nice day drive from Portland is the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire. It is a beautiful drive during foliage season. It runs through the White Mountain National Forest. There are several points of interest, The Flume, Franconia Notch, etc that are worth a stop.

I also always recommend visitors to take a ferry from Portland to Peaks Island, rent a bike (or golf cart), and take a ride around the island. You can pack a picnic lunch and stop on the back side of the island with views of the Ram Island lighthouse.

Rasberrycpa

The “Kanc” is a great idea. Beautiful ride as well as the other stops you mentioned in NH.

In addition to all of the wonderful seafood options, stop at Holy Donuts in Portland. They are made with Maine potatoes and are DELICIOUS! The have vegan options of that’s your thing. But go early, they close once they run out.

If you go to LL Bean in Freeport, there is a small Linda Bean shack across from the main entrance. Some of the best lobstah rolls around IMHO.

One of my very favorite craft breweries is also in Portland -- Allagash, on the north side of the city. Several others within walking distance as well.

I have to say I am a little bit underwhelmed on our trip here. If you are interested in lighthouses, you will be happy. Beach towns are scenic, but not a big deal imo. We probably don't know where to go for memories.

We did hear about Acadia but didn't have the time to get up there. Today's trip was enjoyable at Ogunquit. Very relaxing. Stay on the paths of hiking and walking. Have had two tick-picking episodes... Total of about 10 of the blood suckers...

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_132102640_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220430_132102640_HDR.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220429_171333335_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220429_171333335_HDR.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220501-182503.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-182503.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 34
I agree that Camden is a beautiful city. As you drive out of the city going north there is a park on the left. The road takes you up a hill and when you get to the top there is a fantastic view of the harbor.

Hi all. Here's an outline of what we have planned for our week-long trip in October to see the fall colors etc. I think we'll be doing Camden as a day trip, along with Boston and the Newport mansions/Salem etc over a long weekend when we first land.

Thank you all for your thoughts so far & please advise if any of this sound no good! :)

Day 1

Portland via Kancamagus Hwy to Lincoln, Franconia Notch St Park, overnight in Village of Loon Mtn

Day 2

Frankonia to Morristown, Stowe, then overnight in Burlington

Day 3

Burlington to Lincoln Gap Rd, visit Halping Bridge & Barlett Falls, overnight in Middlebury

Day 4

Middlebury to Woodstock, see Sleepy Hollow Farm, overnight in Woodstock

Day 5

Woodstock to Lincoln family home (Hildene), Mt Equinox Skyline drive to Creamery Covered Bridge

Day 6

Drive to Portsmouth NH (still working on this day!)

Day 7

See Hamilton House, drive to Ogunquit MA, then Kennebunkport & back to Portland ME

You are very motivated! That is a lot of driving but you will enjoy if the weather is nice! If you can fit it in anywhere (maybe before you fly back out of Logan) Concord/Lexington Mass has a lot of history! You could do a trolley tour if history interest you.

There a few highly photographed places in Woodstock if that interest you, beautiful depending on the leaves! Its hard to know when peak season is, depends on how much rain and warmth summer is!

Your trip looks great!

If you have the time, on your way from Morristown to Stowe, I suggest that you take the long way around to Stowe... Rte 15 east from Morristown to Cambridge and then Rte 108 south over Smuggler's Notch to Stowe Mountain Resort, then down the Mountain Road to Stowe. You can take a break and stop at Stowe Mountain Resort and ride the gondola to the top of Mount Mansfield for some great views... or there is a toll road to the top of Mount Mansfield.

And of course, don't forget Ben & Jerry's in Waterbury on your way to Burlington.

There is a nice dinner cruise on the Spirit of Ethan Allen out of Burlington harbor that cruises along the western shore of Lake Champlain. DW and I took it last year and enjoyed it.

Acadia in October.

Attachments

• IMG_5457fb.jpg
    IMG_5457fb.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5621fb.jpg
    IMG_5621fb.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom