Fall in Maine/NE

If you have the time, on your way from Morristown to Stowe, I suggest that you take the long way around to Stowe... Rte 15 east from Morristown to Cambridge and then Rte 108 south over Smuggler's Notch to Stowe Mountain Resort, then down the Mountain Road to Stowe. You can take a break and stop at Stowe Mountain Resort and ride the gondola to the top of Mount Mansfield for some great views... or there is a toll road to the top of Mount Mansfield.

And of course, don't forget Ben & Jerry's in Waterbury on your way to Burlington.

There is a nice dinner cruise on the Spirit of Ethan Allen out of Burlington harbor that cruises along the western shore of Lake Champlain. DW and I took it last year and enjoyed it.

Gondola sounds awesome thank you. I'll check out your other recs too.

Quick update here as we made it to Portland. Despite my other post about the struggle to adjust to RE, our travel plans have been quite fun.

I had no idea how great the food is in Boston! Such a gorgeous city as well. Too bad winters suck or I'd move! We did a ton of walking and hit Harvard & MIT.

Next we drove all the way to Provincetown and spent the night there. I didn't LOVE it but was fun to go all the way out. Then back to Newport where we checked out a couple of the mansions and enjoyed an expensive meal in the port. We stayed in Jamestown at a friend's house so got a look at local life as well.

Salem was a highlight! Really beautiful architecture.

So far the food in Portland is great too. Found an amazing cheese shop and will explore downtown this weekend. Hopefully some of those donuts are still around :)

Next weekend we're visiting family in NH and then going to Acadia. Most of the leaves are still green around here, so hopefully a taste of color by then.

Oh. Portland MAINE, I get it.

Yes that is a really nice trip we have done a couple of times.

Also good to hit Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island. Plimoth Plantation is a lot of fun and interesting.

Always a lot to see and experience.

We made it home after nearly 5 weeks in New England, all of which was superb really. The weather was excellent, seafood especially great, people were lovely and welcoming. Too bad the winters suck otherwise I'd be moving! Still pretty tempting.

Since we had a month in Portland ME we got to know the city quite well. It's small but boasts "1/4 of Maine's population," amounting to under 100k. It's not a terribly remarkable city, and the downtown gets lots of action from giant cruise ships, but as a place to live it ended up being pretty nice.

For our week long road trip, we found Camden ME and Woodstock VT to be our favorite stops. Middlebury VT and Montpellier VT were also highlights. The state house in Montpellier was open to explore and was really interesting & beautiful.

The one place I wasn't crazy about was Bar Harbor, likely due to the enormous number of cruise tourists that poured in. Apparently there's a ballot measure to limit those numbers because the locals are fed up as well. Lots of beautiful and expensive real estate there though! Also Acadia was gorgeous so it made the trip worth it.

Thank you all for your thoughts and helping to make this a memorable trip!

Thank you for the follow up post.
This is a trip that is on our bucket list, so it was a great read.

Back
Top Bottom