ER Flags (Lots of Graphics)

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In this message John Galt proposed a design for the ER symbol and wanted it on a flag made from used dryer sheets. I was inspired and made some electronic versions since I'm not done reusing my real dryer sheets yet.

As of the time of this posting I have about 83k of graphics to post which will probably double the page loading time at least.

Graphics to follow. . .

EDIT Sept 30 2005: Updated link

These are sized to be used as your avatar (the picture under your user name in these boards).

er-flag-square.png
erfv-sq-2.png
erfv-sq.png
erflag-circle-sq.png
erflag-circle-c.png

You can't see the difference between the two circle ones because the background is white. Here's a colored background comparison:

EDIT Sept 30 2005: Updated image links for new server
EDIT Oct 16 2006: Updated image links for new server

Flag #1

I'm leaving out my very first flag. These are the same general design but are much smother and more balanced. Hopefully the second one looks like it's made of a 3x2 grid of dryer sheets stiched together.

er-flag-simple.png

erflg-texture.jpg

EDIT Oct 16 2005: Updated image links for new server

Flag #2

This design came out much better looking than I thought it would when I decided to try it.

erflag-circle.png

erflag-circle-texture.jpg

EDIT Oct 16 2005: Updated image links for new server

non sum qualis eram

John Galt has been evasive about what non sum qualis eram means, but TH offers this translation: " I am not what I once was." The scissors signify cutting costs. And what else would the ER flag be made of today?

The scissors signify cutting costs

This could be a fairly universal peice of symbology evoking an entire ethos. Much the same way the Bald Eagal or "Uncle Sam" symbolizes America. Cutting costs; cutting the ties to the world of work; cutting the whole ensnaring "social web" of consumerism, keeping up with the Jones, status symbols

Although I did not think of it when I came up with the
scissors idea, it does evoke a whole collection of
nuances vis-a-vis retirement, and "life its own self".
I like to think I am on the cutting edge of ER, but my spouse (a snippy little thing) believes it must be shear hubris for me to consider myself so sharp.

John Galt

O Boy! - that's the kind of post that got the whole dryer sheet thing on a roll.

:confused:Re: ER Flags (Lots of Graphics)

I wonder if there is some way to actually make a pair of scissors out of used dryer sheets? :confused:

Re:  :confused:ER Flags (Lots of Graphics)

I wonder if there is some way to actually make a pair of scissors out of used dryer sheets? :confused:
No, but you can make dryer sheets with scissors. Well, more dryer sheets, anyway.

And smaller.

Ooh. Ooh. I wasn't going to work on this tonight, but it just hit me how to make it look more like stitched-together dryer sheets: I just have to rotate the textures in place so they don't match where the sheets meet. How simple!

Being an armchair student of vexillology, I urge you to flag this post and consider ALL aspects that must be decided (with a few suggestions). :D

Descripition - usually 1:2 oblong

Design - appropriate symbology.

Salute - "Two fingers moving smartly in a sissor-like fashion over one's right eye".

Pledge - hmmm...we need a pledge contest.

Disposal - eg. "Must be ecological. Torn to make usable rags. The rags themselves will be recycled until becoming usless."

Code Enforcement - Do we need to elect a Sgt. At Arms?

Ooooohhhh Ron....that clip is perfect for this thread. :D Not only that, I realize I just may be in style.............

Back
Top Bottom