What broker do you recommend

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
With all the discount brokers, full service houses and investment banking firms:

Who do you prefer to use?

Well, in recent years I have used:

BancOne
Edward Jones
Raymond James

Never had a real bad experience with a broker, maybe
because I know what I want and so can spot (ignore?)
sales pitches. Go-to firm for me is Edward Jones, which
was just whacked with a $75,000,000 fine for not
revealing to customers their cushy arrangements with
some of the providers of their investment inventory.
I don't think they broke any laws, and I am pretty sure
they don't either. Anyway, I have had good results
with them.

JG

I have used TDWaterhouse for many years. (Back when they used to be just Waterhouse.) They have served us well with no maintenance fees on any accounts if you meet the minimum asset test. (I think it is now 25K.) They will also link spousal accounts together so smaller IRA's & taxable accounts can avoid paying fees.

We are mainly self directed investors, this has served us well. They also offer free courses at their offices around the country (closest to us, 45 miles) which can help keep the motivation and juices flowing.

-TheBacchus

Here's the NASD press release. Edward Jones violated Federal Securities Laws, NASD rules [aimed at precluding conflicts of interest], and NYSE rules.

This is why I don't use any brokers of any kind. They're in business to make money, pure and simple. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather have a company whose only purpose is to serve me, and not make a profit for someone other than me - Vanguard. ;)

- Alec

I used Vanguard's brokerage recently to purchase TIPS. No complaints, although I didn't shop around. Most of my assets are in Vanguard's mutual funds, so I used their brokerage because it was convenient.

Hey ats5g..............if you think Vanguard (or anyone)
is only watching out for you, as you put it, I think you
have been smoking funny cigarettes, or maybe you
received a head injury, in which case, my best wishes
for a speedy comeback. There are damn few people
"only" watching out for you, other than yourself.
Personally I like it that way. You know where
everyone stands.

BTW, getting back to Edward Jones, I don't really care
as many of those laws/rules/regulations are BS anyway. IMHO. I have absolutely no respect for authority.

JG

I have been immensely happy with my broker at A.G. Edwards & Sons for the last few years.

I used Etrade for 3 or 4 years until I sold all my equities to pay cash for my house. I had no problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom