Good job Jeremy!

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finally wrapped up my read of "The Future for Investors" by Jeremy J. Siegel.
This is a great book for almost anyone who invests.  I say almost anyone because it may be slightly advanced for brand new investors and it may not have anything new for the one percent on the other side of the scale.
Siegel provides some good historical insights as well as a look at the future as the title implies.
He recommends a 50-60% position in international stocks and does a fine job providing justification.  Additionally, he covers most other segments of the market from REITS to ETFs.
Another thing I liked was the fact that when he provides a strategy he provides ideas for those who prefer individual stocks as well as for indexers.
One interesting factoid::If you had invested $1000 in Warren Buffets partnership in 1957 it would have returned 26.59% and be worth $51,356,784 today. The same time period in the S&P 500 would have yielded 11.18% for a total of $130,768.  He shows some others between these two.  Compounding is truly magic.
All in all an A+ read. ;)

I also just finished reading that and "All about Dividend Investing" by Don Schreiber. AADI was the first book about this topic that I read and it was eye opening. The Future for Investors opened my view on asset allocation to consider international much more than AADI.

AADI is very practical, while TFFI offers practical solutions but focuses on so much more (international, valuations, hedges, stats). He offers more compelling facts and stats why and how DI beats the S&P 500 and minimizes loss in bear markets.

2 Thumbs up!

charlottebandito said:
I also just finished reading that and "All about Dividend Investing" by Don Schreiber.  AADI was the first book about this topic that I read and it was eye opening.  The Future for Investors opened my view on asset allocation to consider international much more than AADI.

AADI is very practical, while TFFI offers practical solutions but focuses on so much more (international, valuations, hedges, stats).  He offers more compelling facts and stats why and how DI beats the S&P 500 and minimizes loss in bear markets. 

2 Thumbs up!
You're right about the dividend investing. I didn't mention it in my other post, but Siegel is very passionate about dividends. I believe the book was wriiten just prior to DVY becoming a household name.  For my money, DVY is a great way to gather up  dividends without a lot of single stock risk. ;)

Most definitely. Have DVY (growth & Income), PEY (value), and will get Powershared new ADR Dividend Payer (Interntl divy) once it comes out.

Siegel also agrees that foreign stocks pay out higher dividends on an average because they don't get hit with taxes dishing it out like US companies do. The IRS get it both ways here in the US. Another nugget of truth that I didn't know about.

In my experience, these 200-page investment books can usually be boiiled down to a few sentences without losing anything in the translation.    So, the take-home message for this one was to buy low-P/E international high-dividend-paying stocks?     Sounds good to me.    Any specific stocks or funds recommended?

Siegel's recomendations:
Vanguard Total Stock market Index Fund (VTSMX) -- 30.00%
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VGTSX) -- 20.00%
High Dividend Stocks (Dow High Dividend ETF, S&P 10, REIT, Dow 10,the Dow Core 10 the S&P 10 and the S&P Core 10.) -- 10.00%
Value Stocks (Low P/E, P/B) e.g, BRK-B -- 10.00%
Sector: pharmaceuticals, oil and natural resources (Energy), and consumer staples 10.00%
Global (e.g., S&P 100, Dow Jones Global Titans) 10.00%
100 lowest P/E S&P highest dividend Stocks 10.00%

Back
Top Bottom