• ESFP

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • ISFP

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
So you wanted a poll, you get a poll.

There is a link to a short-hand version of the Myers-Brigg personality test on the retire early home page at http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html. The personality test itself is here: http://haleonline.com/psychtest/

The theory is that people are primarily introverted or extroverted, sensing or intuitive, thinking or feeling and judging or perceiving.

Many early retirees are INTJ (introverted, iNtuitive, thinking, judging), ISTJ (introverted, sensing, thinking, judging) or INTP (Introverted, iNtuitive, thinking, perceiving) personality types, based on a 2000 survey.

Your type?

ISTF should be ISTJ? Or have I gone completely crazy.

Your right, ISTJ, not ISTF

Let me see if I can edit it.

Yup, fixed. I knew I would end up with a typo getting in all those combinations of letters. That is because I am not an a "thinking" person. :)

Strong INTJ here (i score to the extreme on each of the 4, no borderlines)

INTP here, not yet ER'd but have been ready for it since the day I started working :)

What's up with the handidness information? lol

I'm right handed.

INTP here.

Considering that INTPs are statistically one of the least common types in the overall population, the disproportionate number here really is interesting.

So far only one extrovert, I assume Laurence. Though Cut throat has to be an extrovert too.

I think INTP's have way too many interests to be satisfied with 8 hours per day of the same stuff (i.e. a job), hence the desired to ER.

That's the case for me anyway. Give me a library over a job any day :)

- John (right-handed INTP)

Martha said:
So far only one extrovert, I assume Laurence. Though Cut throat has to be an extrovert too.

Yep, that's me! You'd think we'd be the first to volunteer information, maybe I am all alone here! :eek:

(you can all run with this one now)

Keep this quiet...ISTJ

After several drinks...dunno something else

I seem to fluctuate between ISTJ (50.3%) and ESTJ (49.7%).
It took me days to come up with the exact breakdown. ::) :D :confused:

I have actually thought about this one a bit and the other day, trying to think of a smart, introverted successful guy in the work world. The one that came to mind is Bill Belichick, the Patriots Head Coach and huge success, but he had to work under Bill Parcels for many years and helped him win the Super Bowl. Belichick also failed in his first head coaching job in Cleveland. Is there a moral? Maybe these folks are better off in FIRE or working for themselves since they have the ideas and are just going to have a harder time talking themselves up in an organization?

Another issue, if so many on this board are introverted, what allows them to be so brazen in their posts. Alcohol? and/or frustrated?

maddythebeagle said:
Maybe these folks are better off in FIRE or working for themselves since they have the ideas and are just going to have a harder time talking themselves up in an organization?

Interesting thought. So far I've taken the opposite appraisal of myself: that I get my foot in the door of a big organization and they see over time what I'm capable of because I'm not the sell-myself/toot-my-own-horn type and figure that's necessary in entrepreneurship. Aside from sales/getting business I think I would run my own business very well.

Another issue, if so many on this board are introverted, what allows them to be so brazen in their posts. Alcohol? and/or frustrated?

Anonymity and the ability to silently shrink away if we don't like the response. Well, that and alcohol. ;)

Further thoughts on "talking my ideas up in an organization." Come to think of it I have lots of ideas, but I've long since given up even trying to promote them in my company. 15 years ago the company was small enough that individual suggestions were heard and frequently acted upon (but I was younger and had no useful ideas then), but these days the system is built to reject all suggestions while trying to appear like they're soliciting suggestions. Two recent examples jump to mind where the suggestion came right back around to local management; my coworker has not yet surrendered to futility as I have. Gee, if it was something local management had the capability or inclination to implement in the first place then why would we need a suggesition system? It's just part of the game.

I've stifled my creativity while getting comfortable and lazy. It's probably time to move on to something else. (Trying to talk myself into leaving as I mentioned last holidays...think I may actually do it this year as I have a new nephew back in Texas who's growing fast and cute as hell.)

Tying this rambling back to the original topic, I think my introvertedness has slowed down my earning power since I don't search for jobs while I have one. The time I burned out and quit for a stupid job eventually resulted in a huge raise after I got over my young ego.

maddythebeagle said:
...trying to think of a smart, introverted successful guy in the work world. The one that came to mind is Bill Belichick, the Patriots Head Coach and huge success...Maybe these folks are better off in FIRE or working for themselves since they have the ideas and are just going to have a harder time talking themselves up in an organization?

I don't have many "heros" but Belichick is up there, not just because I'm a big Patriots fan, but because I like the way he does his job. He just shuts up and gets things done. He doesn't try to impress people by the way he dresses and he doesn't try to draw attention to himself in any way. All you see are results.

I've tested INTJ and this test gave ISTJ. Works either way for me.

I've read that people begin to develop a secondary or tertiary characteristic as they grow older. I sure hope I'm not growing up...

DW took the test, drum roll please.....

....ISTJ, yep, she's the reason we'll retire early, I guess! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom