I-Bond Fixed Rate Percentage

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does the fixed rate % part of the bond ever change? If so what makes it change? Do interest rates going up effect it's yield? How so? I am not talking about the inflation index rate which changes with inflation.

No, the fixed rate does not go up ... that's why its called "fixed". :D

Well, the fixed rate for a given bond never changes. But the fixed rate for new issues changes every six months. I haven't seen them publish the algorithm, but it's probably based on the market average for 5-year TIPS. The 5-year real rate has inched up a bit (currently about 1.5%), so you'll probably see an increase in the fixed rate of i-bonds for the new issue in November.

And buy them on the last  business day of the month: Your cash earns from the 1st and your bond earns from the first. 8)

JPatrick said:
And buy them on the last  business day of the month: Your cash earns from the 1st and your bond earns from the first. 8)

Good tip!

Yes, I realize it doesn't go up after you purchase it. I am talking about when they issue new bonds. What is that rate tied to that makes it go up or down?

() said:
Some random imaginary number thats way too freakin low.

Blame the market. The real return is completely market driven. As I said, it's currently 1.5% for 5-year TIPS, and i-bonds are more-or-less 5-year TIPS, so I'm sure that's what the treasury uses to determine new issue rates (at least that's been true in the past).

OK then...some random imaginary number thats way too low, added to another imaginary number manipulated number that bears little resemblance to actual inflation :LOL:

I thought the fixed rate was due to be posted today, but it hasn't shown up on the Treasury web site yet?

Back
Top Bottom