Iran and Nukes

Is Iran's nuclear program peacful or for building nukes?

• They want the bomb!

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • Peaceful intent only.

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Papi

Recycles dryer sheets
Just curious how anyone else sees the Iran situation. 

It seems that even the other Arab gulf countries are rather concerned with Iran's motives.

They are part of the "Axis of Evil" so obviously they want the bomb. ;)

Nords said:
I'm gonna have to go with Scott Adams' weasel detector on this one...
Thanks for the link, Nords.

That is an interesting take on the situation.   I could almost buy into what he is saying, but the part about the US/West and Iran being buds in the next five years is going out there on a twig.   I somehow cannot picture in my mind Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sitting down and being "chummy" with the next US president.

Papi said:
I somehow cannot picture in my mind Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sitting down and being "chummy" with the next US president.

But I can!! :)

"You would like to have one or two coats on the presidential limousine, Madame President?"

:LOL:

Eh, I think this is all about internal Iranian politics, not nuclear weapons. The Iranian president was not ruling from a position of strength, so he started waving sabres and pissing off the world community to galvanize Iranians internally vs. an external "enemy." There is no way we will invade, since oil would top $100 a barrel faster than you can say "recession", and we don't have themilitary capacity anyway. I don't think Iran actually has the capability to make nukes in the next 5 to 10 years, so its a moot point anyway. And in the meantime, the Iranian pres has scared his people into rallying behind him.

Sounds awfully familiar...

Then again, we did paint them (appropriately so) as one of the "axis of evil" partners.

We sort of have this tendency of moving in a carrier group and bombing the pejuniper juice out of said "evildoers" until they can no longer wage war.

I think theres only one or two things that can give a carrier group a bad day. A nuke is one of them.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Then again, we did paint them (appropriately so) as one of the "axis of evil" partners.

We sort of have this tendency of moving in a carrier group and bombing the pejuniper juice out of said "evildoers" until they can no longer wage war.

I think theres only one or two things that can give a carrier group a bad day.  A nuke is one of them.

Why nuke a carrier when you can shut off the flow of crude to China and close the Straits of Hormuz?

brewer12345 said:
The Iranian president was not ruling from a position of strength, so he started waving sabres and pissing off the world community to galvanize Iranians internally vs. an external "enemy."

So I understand that you've switched over to the neocon definition of the "world community"? It doesn't look like most of the countries in the world are terribly upset, mostly just the U.S., Israel, etc.

Oh, and for people who were utterly convinced that the U.S. and USSR with nukes meant certain destruction and that we had to disarm to avoid that, people seem to be awfully blase about a "mystical" Islamic terror state bent on committing genocide acquiring nukes. ;)

Five to ten years, eh? What are we waiting for, a New York-sized crater? ;)

Cool Dood said:
So I understand that you've switched over to the neocon definition of the "world community"? It doesn't look like most of the countries in the world are terribly upset, mostly just the U.S., Israel, etc.

Nah. I think the EU is getting pissed, since Iran keeps slapping away their offers of a compromise. I can't imagine that China and Russia are real thrilled at the hornet's nest that Iran has shot BBs at either.

brewer12345 said:
Nah. I think the EU is getting pissed, since Iran keeps slapping away their offers of a compromise. I can't imagine that China and Russia are real thrilled at the hornet's nest that Iran has shot BBs at either.

I don't think I'm really convinced... I mean, Europe keeps offering up whatever Iran asks for and more, even though I guess they both know that it's just pointless talk that will never amount to anything, while Iran works away on their nukes. And China and Russia really don't seem upset about Iran's acting up, aren't they still doing their all to prop up the Iranian nutjobs? I think Russia is still even building Iranian nuke facilities, which they would surely stop if they didn't like what Iran was doing.

It looks to me like the "world community" (the UN types) can be divided into wholeheartedly supporting the Iran crazies, being indifferent but going along with Iran for the oil, and playing along with the anti-Iranian-nukes side but not really meaning it, or at the least not caring much either way.... :confused:

Maybe. My suspicion is that the Iranians hold all the cards in this game and they know it. At least at this point, nobody is quite willing to upset the apple cart over what they have done. I would be busy ignoring the whole thing if we had somebody (anybody) else in office here.

I dont buy the whole mess our government is feeding us.

Weapons of Mass Destruction, anyone?

Maybe WMD in a country with lots of oil and a crazy leader?

The Us has to lead the way into said country for the safety of the world?

Sounds awfully familiar.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Venezuela's a heck of a lot closer, and we can drive there!

Yup. And if Chavez decides that it is time for "Enbargo On!" WRT oil, we will again be looking at $100+/BBL oil faster than you can say "recession". And I'm pretty sure he knows it, too.

Hey, $100+/BBL oil would be good for the environment, and would spur the development of even better-for-the-environment energy sources....

i hear they can manufacture light crude using turkey waste and byproducts for 85.

I cant find the article right now, but it was about some experiment at a butterball factory.

No joke

EDIT: here's something that mentions it, but not the original going in depth:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4732398

Fuel from foul
Using food and crop residues, a new breed of entrepreneur looks to cut waste and create energy

By Laurent Belsie and Mary Wiltenburg | Staff writers of The Christian Science Monitor

ST. LOUIS AND BOSTON - Forget Iraq, OPEC, and that Alaskan wildlife refuge for the moment. Some of the clues to the world's energy future may lie on your dinner plate.

The plants that grew the rice you're eating also produce rice straw, which is mostly burned today but could be turned into fuel. Corn already produces ethanol, but stalks left in the field have energy potential. And all the country's millions of pounds of leftover chicken and turkey bones could produce millions of barrels of crude oil. The turkey experiment is already under way.

For decades, scientists have worked to turn trash into energy: wood into gasoline and municipal waste into industrial fuel. Some ventures worked; others proved too expensive or unwieldy. Now, a new generation of entrepreneurs is trying to turn the nation's muck into black gold. Armed with better technology and understanding, they're making promising starts.

These conversions, if done correctly, could not only bolster the United States' energy reserves, they could cut its leading sources of waste, starting with the nation's farms.

"We're held hostage by troubles in Venezuela, by uncertainty in Kuwait," says Brian Appel, CEO of Changing World Technologies (CWT), a New York environmental technology company. "Let's take advantage of all this waste and make a product we really need."

CWT has made perhaps the biggest splash by teaming up with food production giant ConAgra Foods Inc. Later this month CWT's $25 million turkey-to-oil processor will start turning wastes from ConAgra's Carthage, Mo., plant into light crude oil and other products.

Jeff Tester, a chemical engineering professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, has visited a CWT pilot plant in Philadelphia and is intrigued by the technology's potential. "This is a good example of a win-win situation," he says. "It's not necessarily the holy grail, but it's an innovative idea."

Using a process called thermal depolymerization, which breaks down organic compounds with water and heat, CWT can make fuel from fowl - or corn waste or municipal sludge, for that matter. The Carthage plant, which will process about 200 tons of animal waste daily, is expected to pump out some 7.6 million gallons of bio-derived oil in its first year.

That's tiny - about the size of a Texas wildcatter's well - even compared to the 2.7 billion gallons of ethanol the US expects to produce this year, largely from corn. But that industry receives government subsidies - something Mr. Appel doesn't receive. At the moment, it costs $15 per barrel to produce oil from the Missouri turkey plant, and costs could drop below $10 as more plants go up, he says. That would put his reprocessed oil on par with conventional drilling costs, roughly between $5 and $13 a barrel.

"Right now the margins are tight," Appel says. "If we really want to reduce [US] dependence on [foreign] oil, we need help to grow more quickly."

The company is also negotiating contracts to recycle municipal sludge, solid waste, and other materials.

Meanwhile, DDS Technologies, a European environmental technology company, is bringing another new waste-recycling system to the US. Already in use by several major Italian companies, the process reuses all the elements of the material it recycles, making it much more efficient than most primary food processors.

"When I look at some of the processes we use to make foods, they're archaic," says the company's COO Kerin Franklin. "The process for making soy milk, it must have been invented by a couple of hippies 20 years ago. You wind up throwing a lot away."

DDS takes all that trash and breaks it down into small enough bits to render it useful on many levels. Take pomace, the stuff left over when oranges and other fruit are squeezed for juice. Currently, fruit processors pay roughly $40 a ton to other companies to haul away the pomace, which they turn into livestock feed. DDS can take the same waste and harvest pectin (used in yogurt, gelatin, marshmallows, and fruit snacks), flavor substitutes (used in baking and animal feed), fiber (used in cosmetics production), and essential oil of orange (used as a flavoring). "Our goal is zero left over,"Ms. Franklin says. "The entire waste stream is utilized."

The US branch of DDS, based in Boca Raton, Fla., hopes to start making use of its innovative air-pressure technology later this year. By accelerating particles of matter then suddenly stopping them, DDS can separate their components much the way a speeding motorcycle, suddenly stopped, would send first the rider's helmet, then the rider, then the bike itself flying through the air.

The company is already working with a major US cityto handle its municipal sludge, and has just signed a 10-year joint venture with biomass-to-ethanol company Xethanol to convert sewage into the sugars used in ethanol production. Because DDS's process uses air and not physical contact with the material, Franklin says, it can assure a higher level of purity than other systems.

While reprocessing agricultural waste has huge potential, no one knows how huge. In a Foreign Affairs article earlier this year, Timothy Wirth, president of the United Nations Foundation, and two coauthors estimated that available agricultural waste could produce 10 times the ethanol that corn does today. But it's unlikely all of it will be reused for energy. Every year some of it gets plowed under, some gets burned, some gets thrown away. Much of the rest - 45 million tons, enough to cover the entire Washington, D.C., area in 17 inches of muck, according to the American Feed Industry Association - is reprocessed into animal feed.

Clearly, if environmental rules continue to stiffen, farmers will be casting about for new solutions. For example: federal regulations ban the burning of rice straw (the detritus left over after harvest) by mid-decade. So the industry is looking for ways to reuse the straw, including ways to process it into energy. Entrepreneurial firms such as CWT and DDS see potential. But some analysts believe such efforts will require federal help to blossom. "There's the potential to accelerate this much, much faster, if this country applies the same sort of aggressive approach we've taken to finding oil," says Dr. Tester of MIT. "But you have to learn by doing it."

Back
Top Bottom