Hi and how to suggest Company to offer ER

notquiteready

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi All,
I am posting this on behalf of my DH who is not really a forum kinda guy. I am not sure if this forum is even the right place for this, but I will give it a whirl.  We both are not ready for early retirement financially, although mentally my husband is.  He will be turning 60 in October, and has been working for his current company for going on 12 yrs, and he is on his 10th VP of sales.  He like a couple of people on this forum, is burn't out of this job, is actually having physical illnesses due to the absolute 'dislike' of what this company has become.  The company is going through some major change and letting people go, but it really doesn't seem like they are going to let him go.  It seems they are hanging on to the two oldest emps, being my husband and another gentleman - and we can only speculate that maybe,  possibly they are afraid that my husband and his counterpart may come back with an age discrimination suit?  Our plan is to somehow get his company to let him go so he can reap the benefits of severance which we believe is 2 weeks for each year employed.  Does anyone have any suggestions how he can approach the company with this option without outright quiting and losing out on the severance.  Our plan during that severance period is to sell our house (in Florida) reap the benefits from this and move to an area where cost of living is cheaper and where he has connections for other jobs (lower paying) for another bit, until we are financially sound for him to retire.  Me...well I have a ways to go I'm 48 yrs and although ER for me would be lovely, I really enjoy my job - I work from home and can move or work anywhere - so not quite ready, but sure wish my DH could. 

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
notreadyyet

Hi Notquiteready,

Welcome to the board. Sure looks like it is time for your DH to get out of that job before it does more damage to his health. As for how to ask to be laid off? That is a complicated one and depends on many factors.

Sometimes the best way is to approach the subject from perspective of believing he may be laid off. If he can discuss this with the boss in an open and honest way it could very well lead to DH offering to take a "package." Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. It is all dependent on many factors that are unknows to outsiders. DH is the best judge of how this might play out.

Good luck with it.

As a side note. Even if he cannot get a package getting out with his health would be a priority.

Is a package essential to your move? Naturally it would be good. But it sounds like the proposed move would be helpful anyway.

One thing to keep in mind: once you get off the merry-go-round by moving to a less expensive area, it will cost even more to come back. Unless you forecast Tampa to be in for a correction...

Does anyone have any suggestions how he can approach the company with this option without outright quiting and losing out on the severance.

Perhaps there's no downside to saying, to his boss: "Given all the changes around here, I wouldn't mind being laid off with a reasonable severance package."

Boss might say "Do you mean you're quitting?"

And he says "No, but with the standard severance pay, if it would benefit the company, I'd be willing to go."

Back
Top Bottom