Seminar Report #2

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I attended another financial planning last night at the local Outback Steak House. What follows are my notes:

Retirement Planning Seminar 9/28/2006

Room for about 80 however only about 30 were in attendance. 1:30 was length of presentation. Ordered food prior to seminnar began. In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was asked to "sign in". I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Covered risk/reward; age appropriate investing; “I have only 3-4 mutual funds that I like”; shrinking income; A shares, B shares and  C shares with 1% fees ~”It’s the one that I like” he said; he slammed First Command 50% commission; “No such thing as a NL fund”; “#1 fund is American Funds, my favorite”; VAs have “a lot of fees”; ‘inservice distribution” means that one can RO  401k, 403b etc funds to an IRA while active; EIA are a good solution to many investment problems; he hit bonds very briefly w/vague info; Re: living trust~ not needed unless you have buildings as an investment; LTC very brief/vague”; financial media folks (Cramer, Orman, Quinn, Ramsey, Burns) are all  pretty good.

He seemed very rushed (ill prepared?) at the end of the presentation and mentioned it several times that he was not going to be able to get into a subject because the food was almost ready and “Outback doesn’t want you folks to wait."

We were asked to complete and submit a Response Sheet for a free consultation. I did not complete it.

Had an 8oz center cut sirloin steak w/baked potato and salad. Alternate entrees were salmon and chicken.

I rate the meal as an A. Presentation rated as a C-.

mickeyd said:
In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was ased to "sign in" I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Mr. Heywood Jahblowme
13 Outhouse Way
Anywhere, USA
800-555-1212

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for going, and the report!

I often get stuff in the mail from people inviting me to pick a restaurant and a date, with "tickets" included. Outback seems to be a common hit.  Some try to be more exclusive, with fancier paper and tickets, and only one showing.

After a brief read, they all go into the landfill fodder bin.

I figured they were just a method of trolling to try to snare new clients. But I sometimes wondered what one would be like.

Thanks to you, I know now!

I just got invited to a "women's investing" seminar w/special guest Sarah Ferguson (a $149 value in bold italics). I don't have an androgynous first name... so... ? My wife wondered if they were going to talk about Weight Watchers. I said she was welcome to go, find out and report back. I guess we'll never know.

mickeyd said:
I attended another financial planning last night at the local Outback Steak House. What follows are my notes:

Retirement Planning Seminar 9/28/2006

Room for about 80 however only about 30 were in attendance. 1:30 was length of presentation. Ordered food prior to seminnar began. In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was asked to "sign in". I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Covered risk/reward; age appropriate investing; “I have only 3-4 mutual funds that I like”; shrinking income; A shares, B shares and  C shares with 1% fees ~”It’s the one that I like” he said; he slammed First Command 50% commission; “No such thing as a NL fund”; “#1 fund is American Funds, my favorite”; VAs have “a lot of fees”; ‘inservice distribution” means that one can RO  401k, 403b etc funds to an IRA while active; EIA are a good solution to many investment problems; he hit bonds very briefly w/vague info; Re: living trust~ not needed unless you have buildings as an investment; LTC very brief/vague”; financial media folks (Cramer, Orman, Quinn, Ramsey, Burns) are all  pretty good.

He seemed very rushed (ill prepared?) at the end of the presentation and mentioned it several times that he was not going to be able to get into a subject because the food was almost ready and “Outback doesn’t want you folks to wait."

We were asked to complete and submit a Response Sheet for a free consultation. I did not complete it.

Had an 8oz center cut sirloin steak w/baked potato and salad. Alternate entrees were salmon and chicken.

I rate the meal as an A. Presentation rated as a C-.

Sounds like a Metlife of NML seminar............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

At least you got a good meal............ ;)

When I did seminars, I practiced the presentation a million times, and timed myself. It's pretty worthless if you can't get the info out in a limited time..........

I used to do "Smart Women Finish Rich" seminars until Van Kampen put "you have to use us as a majority of your investing in mutual funds" mantra on using the program............ :(

We get alot of these invitations also. I took a course at a CC on retirement planning and it was very good. lots of neutral information. It was 4 nites, 2 hours each nite. The instructor was from a FP firm and at the end he offered a free eval. We would have done the eval, but they only offered appt time between 10-3, because he likes to go home to his kids.

My hub is a contractor and we were not about to give up cash. I though this was short sighted of him.

I signed up for Lucia's gig this Saturday, then I learned that it is at the Seatac Hilton, not the downtown Hilton. To get there before the presentation starts I would need to take the 5:20 am ferry... don't know if it would be worth getting out of bed THAT early!

We attended one about a month ago - our very first. I thought the food (buffet style) was good but DH rated it a so-so. Then, again, I think any cooked food is good.

DH had the same question when asked to sign in at the door. They said it was for IRS for expense write-off or some deduction of the kind.

Happy Friday to everyone!

Tomorrow is our anniversary. Going to Baltimore to see the world. Can't wait!

Jenni

Dang...wish I could get Outback for free. So who was the presentor...someone local or what?

As my DW always reminds me.

Any meal that I don't have to cook is a good meal!

Back
Top Bottom