T-IRA to ROTH-IRA. When?

Gearhead Jim

Full time employment: Posting here.
Recently I heard that the best time to convert traditional iras to roth iras will come in 2010. I'm not sure if that had to do with tax rates, or simply the amount that can be converted in a single year. For 2006 it's not an issue for me, had some big income this year and am in a high bracket. But 2007 and 2008 I'll be living off this year's income and probably be in the lowest tax bracket that I'll ever see.

How can i find info to learn what i CAN do, and to decide what i SHOULD do?

Starting in 2010, the maximum AGI limit of $100K to be eligible to convert will be eliminated. Also, if you do a conversion in 2010, the amount of income tax you'll need to pay can be spread over 2 years.

I’ve been living on after tax withdrawals since retiring and have been in the 15% bracket. I have been converting regular IRA to Roth IRA every year up to the 15% limit. I think this will give me a lot of flexibility going forward.

So.... If I decide to convert $50k on January 2. 2010, I will have $25k taxable on my 2010 return and $25k taxable on my 2011 return, correct?

What someone told me at work is to contribute to an after tax IRA (high income so can't do pre tax)....

Then convert in 2010... only have to pay tax on the income from now to then!!!

Any holes in this:confused:

Texas Proud said:
What someone told me at work is to contribute to an after tax IRA (high income so can't do pre tax)....

Then convert in 2010... only have to pay tax on the income from now to then!!!

Any holes in this:confused:

No. I have thought about doing the same thing. They might change the law so we can't convert, but heck, how much money can we put in an IRA between now and then anyway?

gindie said:
Starting in 2010, the maximum AGI limit of $100K to be eligible to convert will be eliminated. Also, if you do a conversion in 2010, the amount of income tax you'll need to pay can be spread over 2 years.

Although electing to spread over the 2 years may not end up being the smartest move for some people.

retire@40 said:
Although electing to spread over the 2 years may not end up being the smartest move for some people.
Offhand, I can't think of very many situations where the 2 year spread would be unwise. Can you please post some of your examples?

Gearhead Jim said:
Offhand, I can't think of very many situations where the 2 year spread would be unwise. Can you please post some of your examples?

One major reason is that the income tax rates are set to revert back to the higher old rates after 2010.

My situation is admittedly off-beat...but the taxation of 2010 conversions is deferred into 2011 and 2012. 2012 is the year I start Social Security. The additional income I'd have to recognize in 2012 added to 1/2 my social security benefit and RMDs would push me over the $44,000 limit for 85% social security taxation.

Back
Top Bottom