Free TaxCut 2006 Basic Edition

wabmester

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looks like H&R Block is making a basic edition of TaxCut available as a free download this year:

download

I've installed and run it -- it's the real deal. Fully functional. Perfect for those with no state income tax (like me!).

Tax Act has had a free version for years -- they also have a free worksheet for each state, that has an income tax. The Federal forms can be printed and filed (after the final version is released sometime this month).

I have used Tax Act for years, usually the free version, although the FULL state return is not free (which I need to use now since the move to OHIO). Although some states have the returns on line as a fill out PDF file.

Just another source for "free" stuff.

www.taxact.com is the site.

Thanks for the link.... I think I will use it....

I'm a turbotax devotee, and I got a coupon from Costco in the mail for turbotax deluxe (state and federal) for $21.99 after automatic rebate. The coupon is only valid for a week starting Jan 15 IIRC.

I'm going to try TaxAct this year. I was really frustrated with turbotax last year. It seems to take forever for them to 'finalize' things. They had KNOWN bugs and errors in their forms last year, but they don't bother to tell you. If you poke around their forum for a few hours, you might stumble across the acknowledgment of the bug (and the KNOWN work-around).

I just thought their Customer service was the pits. I hope TaxAct is better. So far I did have one question on their product pricing, and I actually did get an email response the next business day. So, I am hopeful.

-ERD50

free4now said:
I'm a turbotax devotee, and I got a coupon from Costco in the mail for turbotax deluxe (state and federal) for $21.99 after automatic rebate. The coupon is only valid for a week starting Jan 15 IIRC.

Just wondering..........Is that the CD or the online version?

free4now said:
Ah, thanks, I was wondering if I should download or let Intuit start sweating...

wab said:
Looks like H&R Block is making a basic edition of TaxCut available as a free download this year:

download

I've installed and run it -- it's the real deal. Fully functional. Perfect for those with no state income tax (like me!).

wab,

Thanks. You're a prince (or princess) amongst men (or women). Hell, you saved me $10.

jazz4cash said:
Just wondering..........Is that the CD or the online version?

Since this is in the Bricks and Mortar costco, I'm guessing CD.

I also downloaded and and have been entering info....as 2B said, 10 bucks in the bag....sweeeet! :-*

2B said:
wab,

Thanks.

Well, all the credit should go to amazon.com. I went to their site to check prices and reviews of this year's TaxCut (I swore off TurboTax after that spyware fiasco of a few years ago), and one of the reviewers mentioned the free version!

I've been using Tax Act Online as well. The first time I used the free version, but now since I pay state income tax I just pay the $9.95 or $14.95 cost and don't look back.

I particularly like the fact that it has *easily* imported each of my previous year's data, so I only have to enter new stuff. Also, I've used the online submit and I receive my refunds pretty quickly and efficiently, without any problems.

I highly recommend Tax Act Online.

Old Army Guy said:
Tax Act has had a free version for years -- they also have a free worksheet for each state, that has an income tax. The Federal forms can be printed and filed (after the final version is released sometime this month).

I have used Tax Act for years, usually the free version, although the FULL state return is not free (which I need to use now since the move to OHIO). Although some states have the returns on line as a fill out PDF file.

Just another source for "free" stuff.

www.taxact.com is the site.

Peaceful_Warrior said:
I particularly like the fact that it has *easily* imported each of my previous year's data, so I only have to enter new stuff. Also, I've used the online submit and I receive my refunds pretty quickly and efficiently, without any problems.

I highly recommend Tax Act Online.
Does it import Turbo Tax information? I used that last year.
Thanks

dex said:
Thanks

I downloaded TaxCut last night (thanks wab!) and it imported easily all of my TurboTax information from last year. Easy and free...

wab, thanks! I was getting ready to download Turbo Tax at $45. I'll do Tax Cut Basic and Colorado Netfile for $0 instead. I downloaded Tax Cut, got it updated online, and imported last year's Turbo Tax all without a hitch.

You can download a state return program for $25 from within Tax Cut if you want.

I'll make a donation to the forum and still come out way ahead.

Coach

I just checked their site, and unfortunately they don't do imports from any other products, yet.

For what it's worth, I used to use TurboTax and found that manually entering my stuff into TaxAct wasn't an issue.

dex said:
Thanks

Peaceful_Warrior said:
I just checked their site, and unfortunately they don't do imports from any other products, yet.

For what it's worth, I used to use TurboTax and found that manually entering my stuff into TaxAct wasn't an issue.

Like I said earlier, I downloaded Tax Cut last night and it took the data stored in my TurboTax files from last year and automatically filled in the information in TaxCut. It does work!

For those wanting to go the more conventional route (maybe becase you need the delux verson of Taxcut, the state editions, etc) look for the sales at Staples and Office Depot over the next few months. I've bought this way for the past few years--usually end up with a few bundles of paper, some extra software, and a good price on Taxcut Deluxe+state.

Next year, Taxcut will send you a notice or even a complete version of the software for 2007, requiring only that you pay a fee to get going. Don't fall for it--you can usually get a better deal by buying from Staples/OD/etc. instead.

I've used Taxcut for many years. I like it, but I haven't used other programs. The Turbotax spyware episode cooled my desire to try that program.

For those of you who still haven't filed their returns, you can now get a free copy of TaxCut Premium and Deduction Pro.

link

(found on fatwallet)

wab,
Thanks, that's a great deal (esp for those who don't need to file a state return).
I filled out my taxes already (still need to mail them in) and used Taxcut. I like the program and will probably use it again, but I have two gripes:
-- It seems like every year they make it harder to see the actual tax form that is associated with the interview questions.
-- Related to the above: the "Where does this come from?" function is incomplete/clunkier than it should be.

I could do with less wiz-bang video/animation and a little more concentration on the nuts/bolts of completing a tax return. I'll probably look at Tax Act and a demo version of Turbotax before automatically heading back to TaxCut next year.

samclem said:
wab,
Thanks, that's a great deal (esp for those who don't need to file a state return).
I filled out my taxes already (still need to mail them in) and used Taxcut. I like the program and will probably use it again, but I have two gripes:
-- It seems like every year they make it harder to see the actual tax form that is associated with the interview questions.
-- Related to the above: the "Where does this come from?" function is incomplete/clunkier than it should be.

I could do with less wiz-bang video/animation and a little more concentration on the nuts/bolts of completing a tax return. I'll probably look at Tax Act and a demo version of Turbotax before automatically heading back to TaxCut next year.

You could do the TaxAct online version for free, even efile the fed for free. What you do not get for the free version, is the ability to import that next year, and some of the tax 'help'. But, for just $8, you get that, just $15 to include state and fed.

I thought it was OK - but I agree with you, these programs 'hide' the info I want to see so I understand my tax situation. I'm sure 99% of their clients just want to enter numbers and get a refund and don't care about tax planning or understanding it. I'm half tempted to go through the paper forms in parallel, just to get a grip on it.

I was told TurboTax actually got better about this in 2006, but I probably will never use TT again, after the errors they had in their 2005 product.

-ERD50

ERD50 said:
I'm half tempted to go through the paper forms in parallel, just to get a grip on it.

This is what I do. As an author of several software packages, I do not trust any software program. King of like the people who work at fast-food restaurants do not east at fast food restaurants.

I used to do my taxes by hand, but overall I'm very pleased with TaxAct because it does explain what a lot of the taxes are and the questions it asks help me understand what kinds of things are affecting my taxes.

I also do separate research into what deductions are available and what the tax brackets are... so if I need to donate a few more things to Goodwill or I can wait until after the year to donate them.

ERD50 said:
You could do the TaxAct online version for free, even efile the fed for free. What you do not get for the free version, is the ability to import that next year, and some of the tax 'help'. But, for just $8, you get that, just $15 to include state and fed.

I thought it was OK - but I agree with you, these programs 'hide' the info I want to see so I understand my tax situation. I'm sure 99% of their clients just want to enter numbers and get a refund and don't care about tax planning or understanding it. I'm half tempted to go through the paper forms in parallel, just to get a grip on it.

I was told TurboTax actually got better about this in 2006, but I probably will never use TT again, after the errors they had in their 2005 product.

-ERD50

ERD50 said:
I'm half tempted to go through the paper forms in parallel, just to get a grip on it.

I did things on the paper forms first, then I used TurboTax online and eFiled. Why do I do the paper forms? I dunno! I quess I just trust me, more than I trust technology. Anyway, TT came up with identical figures as I did on paper....same as last year...the year before...etc.

Does anyone import investment information for mutual funds or stocks info from Taxcut or TurboTax? Is it safe? The software asks for ID and passwords!

Back
Top Bottom