It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS -- no way will I ever have a 34" waist - I don't want to be a naysayer, but It has been 30 years since I was there, and if I go that far back I might have to go through adolescence again, too!

Retiredbop, must feel good to be able to finally fit into those pants. Congrats on the loss.

SimpleGirl, we are the same height but I am a lot heavier than you. The main thing is even though the scale said you gained you did not gain inches, and personally I think your measurements are more important than the number.

Sarah, congrats on that milestone. So what are you going to do to celebrate?

bob, don't you hate it when those same 4lbs keep revisiting your waistline? Hopefully you can break the 5lb barrier and it will all fall off after that.

OKL, where did you lose the inches from? Did you measure all over before you started?

I had no weight loss this week which was disappointing. However, on the positive side I did not gain. I am slightly disappointed but I'm determined to break through to a new weight next week. I have come to realise that I do enjoy working out, I just wish I had a fully equipped home gym.

Since retirement (31 Dec '04) I have lost 60 pounds.

My blood pressure has also decreased from 176/96 to 132/80.

retiredbop said:
TargaDave, that is great. Personally, I have refused to give up real beer for that watery stuff. So I guess I'll just go a little slower. Of course, I restrict myself to no more than two beers a week. Usually one on each of my days off.
One beer at a time is more will power than I could ever muster. I have faith you'll stay headed in the right direction

simple girl said:
I'm trying not to get too discouraged here. I have to remember that I'm not overweight (I'm 5'4" and my weight range is supposed to be between 116 and 140). My goal is to get in great shape, but it sure is hard to "lose those last 10 pounds" as they say (especially when that's where you are starting out from). Geeze, I sound like I am making excuses. LOL. Anyways, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and just try to be satisfied if I maintain between 130 and 132.
Great job everyone else!!!
S-girl. I always think that just being aware of your fitness and getting your heart rate up a few times a week is far more important than shedding pounds. I wouldn't get discouraged at all. Your way ahead of alot of people out there.

ESRBob said:
PS -- no way will I ever have a 34" waist - I don't want to be a naysayer, but It has been 30 years since I was there, and if I go that far back I might have to go through adolescence again, too!
I'll say the same about 32". No way, no how. 32" was my teen waist, 33" my college jock waist, 35-38" my gettin older waist. Finally back at 33" and that's fine with me.

This is the second time I've lost more than 25#. If I had one little secret other than all the standard stuff (I sort of do a crude South Beach, small portions, eat slow, lots of water and time at the Y, blah, blah) it's the mental part of getting used to being hungry, especially in the beginning when the cravings are highest (198 to 190 was torture while 180-172 was pretty easy). My "weakest" time of day is dinner and evening since I workout in the morning. I basically play mind games to make sure I go to sleep a bit hungry each night.

Last time I lost this much I crept back up after two years. This time I am determined to hit 50 and FIRE with the bod in appropriate condition to enjoy it.

No change this week but I consider that a victory, not gaining is a good thing.

Hey I broke under 210 yesterday, 209!

Remodling, getting a cold and not having time to eat, all in the same weekend is sure a great weight loss plan. Maybe not healthy, but I lost a few lbs. Now the real challenge... keep it off.

-CC

TargaDave said:
I'll say the same about 32". No way, no how. 32" was my teen waist, 33" my college jock waist, 35-38" my gettin older waist. Finally back at 33" and that's fine with me.

Oops, were we aiming at 32"? Now I'm really not sure how I'm going there -- that sounds like my waist when I was about 13 years old... Well, its something to aim for. Congrats on getting to 33"! How tall are you? Maybe I'm just complacent about too much padding around my middle and seat, but I think the hip-bones are defining an arc that is already going to be bigger than 32". (Does this sound like the late stages of denial?) :eek:

Just got out the MetLife table for ideal weight, and measured the elbow with calipers to see that I am 'Medium Frame" etc. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Really depressing. More denial. Especially when they tell you these weights are calculated with 5 pounds of 'indoor clothing and shoes" on, so they should really be 5 pounds less. Now I'm looking like I need to go down 20 pounds from my peak, 16 pounds from current. If I did that, I might just get the 32" waist after all!

ESRBob said:
Really depressing. More denial. Especially when they tell you these weights are calculated with 5 pounds of 'indoor clothing and shoes" on, so they should really be 5 pounds less.
That fills my head with cognitive dissonance.

I can appreciate that lower weights generally put less stress on a body and could lead to longer life, but it's also for people who are almost 20 years younger than me. I see no survival advantage in those body types during tae kwon do sparring...

I'm sticking with waist measurements!

If I had one little secret other than all the standard stuff ... it's the mental part of getting used to being hungry

I also think this is important. "Hunger is my friend."

ESRBob said:
Just got out the MetLife table for ideal weight, and measured the elbow with calipers to see that I am 'Medium Frame" etc. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Really depressing. More denial. Especially when they tell you these weights are calculated with 5 pounds of 'indoor clothing and shoes" on, so they should really be 5 pounds less. Now I'm looking like I need to go down 20 pounds from my peak, 16 pounds from current. If I did that, I might just get the 32" waist after all!

Those are pretty light weights.

Ha

DangerMouse said:
It's 32" for females and for men it's 34".

OK, thx for the clarification. I can work with that.

PS: I do have one trick I stumbled on over the years. Take a multi-vitamin when you want to lose weight. Turns out at least for me that sometimes I'm light on some type of trace mineral and I spend lots of time picking up spare calories grazing away in the pantry. If I take a multivitamin I have noticed many times now that the grazing urge is gone. Hope this helps others! Now if I can just remember to take the darn thing myself every day... Gotta do it on a full stomach, which means there aren't too many times I can take it. Hunger is a pita friend, Al!

ESRBob said:

I think those charts are almost silly. I'm 6 ft and the only way I can get down in the lower 160's or even 150's is to loose a lot of muscle along with any remaining fat. No interest in doing that. Weighed 158 one summer during college when I was scuba diving 5 days a week in 55 deg water. That's it.

Someone was posting here about 32" being the ideal waist for all men regardless of height-build. I agree that 34" is a much more realisitic number.

Remember that when taking the "ideal" waist measurement, you get to suck in your gut!! ;)

HFWR said:
Remember that when taking the "ideal" waist measurement, you get to suck in your gut!! ;)
Hey, that makes a significant difference. :D

simple girl said:
Uggh. Not doing so well here. I missed last week due to being out of town again. I'm up another pound to 132. However, my tape measurements are all still the same. I've still been working out, and I've increased my arm weights.

I'm trying not to get too discouraged here. I have to remember that I'm not overweight (I'm 5'4" and my weight range is supposed to be between 116 and 140). My goal is to get in great shape, but it sure is hard to "lose those last 10 pounds" as they say (especially when that's where you are starting out from). Geeze, I sound like I am making excuses. LOL. Anyways, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and just try to be satisfied if I maintain between 130 and 132.

Great job everyone else!!!

Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone last week! I'm back down one pound to 131. :)

Nothng happening here this week. Two weeks without a loss. I will have to step it up next week to get over this plateau.

Down 1 lb to 324. OTOH, that is now 54 pounds in the 54 weeks since my shoulder surgery. At this rate I won't see my ideal for another year and a half.

I wonder what I'll do when all of you have hit your ideals and this thread folds?

Lost an inch off my waist :eek: --that cardio's really kicking in this week. Started on strength training yesterday so we'll see how that goes. no significant "weight loss" (I've been fluctuating in a one pound band all week) but it's blatantly obvious that I'm gaining muscle and losing volume, so I'm a happy camper. Gonna go hit the driving range for a bit at lunch, weather permitting (we're getting t-storms at some point this afternoon). My interim goal is to get through 9 holes without embarassing myself too terribly, which means I've got work to do on both stamina and swing.

retiredbop said:
I wonder what I'll do when all of you have hit your ideals and this thread folds?

You won't be completely alone--I gotta have somebody to keep me honest when I get into maintenance--and I expect I've got at least another 8-9 months to my goal weight.

Don't worry, RetiredBOP, if you'll stick around after you retire, I'll stick around after I reach my goal weight! Like OK, I need someone to keep me honest! And listen, 54 lbs in 54 weeks is good, really good! And consistent, over time, just like investing, it is slow and steady wins the race! Great job!

Down another pound to 157. I hurt my back on Sunday and I've just been doing stretches the past two days at the gym, hoping to be back to full speed on Thursday. Getting old sucks, I tell 'ya! :D

Sarah ...just got some size 10 jeans...long way from those size 18s.... :D

OK, I'll be here keeping folks honest for a LONG time.

Sarah, 18 to 10, GOOD ON YA! That's impressive.

I told myself that at 300 I will buy all new uniforms, and probably again at 250. The important thing is that I can still hit my 225 goal before I retire, even at just one lb per week.

Keep working ladies.

mclesters said:
Down another pound to 157.

One more lb down, to 156. Had some struggles this week, as I'm beginning to panic about my Estate Planning exam at the end of the month and would like to feed the anxiety with bad stuff! One interesting tidbit, I now weigh less than I did when we got married, 14 years ago! Hope everyone has a productive week! :D

BOP, I never was motivated by clothes, but when you get those new uniforms at 300, it will be amazing--one pound a week is all you need! Keep up the good eating and workouts--my new mantra is T-Al's "hunger is my friend"! I love it!
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom