Parable of the Carpenter

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There was once a very skillful carpenter. Due to his old age, he decided to retire and spend more time with his family. He told his boss about his decision. The boss was so sorry to see his long time employee leaving and decided to reward him. So, the boss went to the carpenter and told him that he would like him to build one more house for a very important person. However, the carpenter was no longer having his heart in the job. Even though the boss told him to choose the best material, he just simple used whatever that was easily available. Needless to say, the workmanship was poorer than the work of an apprentice.

After completing the house, the carpenter handed the keys to his boss. "Keep the keys", said the boss, "This house is for you. I don't know how to thank you for your service and your loyalty throughout all these years. Here is my gift for your retirement."

The carpenter was shocked to hear that. He was so ashamed that he didn't perform to his best in the very last project. He had to settled for something that was poorly built by himself. He would have built the house differently if he knew he was actually building his own house.

Sounds like most Americans NOT going to FIRE............... :p

read: don't slam the door behind you; it might hit you in the ass.

very important to maintain integrity throughout life. you should never slack off just because you are about to leave your company. this is why i started slacking off years before i left.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
very important to maintain integrity throughout life. you should never slack off just because you are about to leave your company. this is why i started slacking off years before i left.
Exactly. Am I the only one who thinks this carpenter was sorely abused by his boss?

Nords said:
Exactly. Am I the only one who thinks this carpenter was sorely abused by his boss?

No, you're not.....I think so too.....that's what I meant by making the crack about it being a DCP. I think OP meant for us to focus on the higher meaning of always giving your best, etc,etc, and here we are sayin Damg!....that guy got screwed.

But just like a DCP, if the employee mucks it up, he has to live with it.

I thought of the saying that the cobbler's children are always shoeless.

This parable might have had some significance 50-100 years ago when companies didn't consider their workers to be disposable. These days, corporate loyalty is often a fool's game.

I can relate to the story.

I keep asking myself, "now exactly why did you agree to do two full time (+) management jobs in the last few months of your career when you could have coasted out the door and cut back your hours instead of working more of them?"

The answer is "I thought it was a good idea at the time"

Actually, the choice was to prevent having to work for the village idiot in my remaining months. I work for me so I have some amount of control over what happens and when (except for business related problems and issues).

I've learned that being loyal to a company only gets you so far. You'll probably get screwed somewhere along the line.

ranch111 said:
I've learned that being loyal to a company only gets you so far. You'll probably get screwed somewhere along the line.
Judging by SteveR's avatar, he already has been.

bssc said:
Judging by SteveR's avatar, he already has been.

Somebody finally noticed!!

Note the direction of the screw....into the back..long but true story.

Jay_Gatsby said:
This parable might have had some significance 50-100 years ago when companies didn't consider their workers to be disposable. These days, corporate loyalty is often a fool's game.

What do you mean... I am very loyal to my company for the next two weeks... then I get another paycheck and am loyal for another two weeks....

never, never, never ever slack off on quality!!

Next plane trip - imagine that carpenter were the mechanics who built/installed the window you are sitting next to - even so I usually specify the aisle seat when possible.

Whine, bitch, complain about your lot all you want - but never let up on workmanship.

heh heh heh - old aerospace axiom: launch day or when the plane rolls down the runway, you(an en-ga-neer) need to start looking for another job.

SteveR said:
Somebody finally noticed!!

Note the direction of the screw....into the back..long but true story.
I think that they noticed, they are just more polite than me.

Back
Top Bottom