A portfolio in retirement, in consideration of mortality

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Oh how I want to buy cyclical income stocks.. however as the family money manager I think we need to hold assets that manage themselves (such as mutual funds/ETFs) and a easily executed deployment methodology. We aren't young any more, I don't think it is reasonable to expect him to pick up the ball if I can't to it any more. Has anyone else pondered this issue?

I guess the options are to keep your portfolio simple, explain the objectives in writing, or name a savvy trustee in your living trust. Or some combination.

I plan to train our kid to handle our investments in our dotage, but if something were to happen to me before the hand-off, I'm fairly confident in my wife's ability to seek wise counsel.

Well, I have one kid who is quite capable of doing that, but she would use mutual funds as she hasn't the time to watch stocks. Maybe I could just tell her to hire Brewer ;)

Target retirement fund. Let a portfolio manager do the work, you enjoy the vacationing.

Olav23 said:
Target retirement fund. Let a portfolio manager do the work, you enjoy the vacationing.

The last I looked the returns on Fidelitys was horrible. Im guessing you have a better spot for your money?

I am not impressed with Fido target retirement funds either. Vanguard's Wellesley or Wellington are much better in retirement funds, IMHO. Right now I have about 60% in Oakmark and Dodge & Cox balanced funds, + 5 yrs in mm/cd/I-bonds.

The part of my portfolio that needs managing is the 'alpha' section. Maybe I should just leave a note in our IRA file that says "If you need to manage these investments sell all but [ ? ] and buy [ ?]. Here is my plan for utilizing this resource..."

Back
Top Bottom