Where to put $15k in the market today

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I have a minor portion of my total portfolio in individual stocks. The amount I have in my brokerage account is fixed. I haven't added anything in two years and doubt if I ever will again. I mostly have the account to work off the excess testoterone in my system. In any event, I have about $15k in cash from the recent sale of a stock that I believe has peaked. Any ideas where I might put this money now?

I already own ACL, BNI, BRY, CHK, EGLE, ENDP, NAT, SID and WLK.

Thanks,

Gumby

Im a sucker for index funds. SP 500 maybe a total market. You dont really give any kind of time table for investing.

I follow about 30 well-run, solid companies (IMO) with long histories
of doing a good job of running their businesses. I invest for the long
term, and have virtually all my money in individual stocks.

The best-valued stock of those I follow (based on how I
evaluate stocks) is JNJ (at todays close).

The best valued REITs are WRE and PLD.

Disclaimer : I hold positions in all 3 stocks.

Assuming you aren't interested in another shipping company (in which case I think DSX is cheap), I beieve BPOP is dirt frickin' cheap at the moment. OCFC is cheap, too, but I am waiting for their 10K before I am willing to commit additional funds. ANH is also cheap, but I have chosen to own their covertible preferred stock (ANH+B is the ticker at Schwab).

brewer12345:
What's the main indicator you use to evaluate the bank stock? PB? Could you have a look TMFZ.OB, I hold for more than two years, looks very very cheap, but...

Thanks,

semtex said:
brewer12345:
What's the main indicator you use to evaluate the bank stock? PB? Could you have a look TMFZ.OB, I hold for more than two years, looks very very cheap, but...

Thanks,

I look at lots of things: earnings, net interest margin, operating efficiency, credit risk, capitalization, price/book, deposit premium, franchise value, etc.

TMFZ isn't a bank. Its an unregulated mortgage lender. Not my cup of tea.

I'd purchase a short term CD that would mature in June or July. In fact, I've done exactly that with my own money. That will give you a few months to get more suggestions and let the air out of the stock market like always seems happen between March and end of June.

LOL! said:
I'd purchase a short term CD that would mature in June or July. In fact, I've done exactly that with my own money. That will give you a few months to get more suggestions and let the air out of the stock market like always seems happen between March and end of June.

Since the end of 1982, the S&P 500 has only declined in 7 of 24 second quarters (end of March til end of June). The average second quarter increase in the index over this time period has been 3.5% (not including dividends).

brewer12345 said:
I beieve BPOP is dirt frickin' cheap at the moment. ..OCFC is cheap, too, but I am waiting for their 10K before I am willing to commit additional funds

Interesting I've been looking at BPOP for sometime, M* has its fair value at $30/share and with 4% yield not the worse place to put money while the financial industry shakeout continues. I was concerned that 2006 revenues were pretty much flat,and there shutdown of some of there mainland operations isn't a good thing. I very much like the demographics of the Puerto Rican market and the ability of BPOP to make money from the many Puerto Rican's moving to places like NYC. Any additional thoughts about BPOP.

Finally any thoughts about TRST, this is NY regional bank that is paying a very generous 6.5% dividend. It has drifted down from $11 to just under $10 since I bought. I am assuming that is just the general sell off in banking stocks.

FIRE'd@51 said:
Since the end of 1982, the S&P 500 has only declined in 7 of 24 second quarters (end of March til end of June). The average second quarter increase in the index over this time period has been 3.5% (not including dividends).
Excellent info, thanks! Now tell me about dips in the quarter. Can I buy 10% lower than now and still end up higher in June?

LOL! said:
Excellent info, thanks! Now tell me about dips in the quarter. Can I buy 10% lower than now and still end up higher in June?

Dirty market timer! :eek: :LOL:

-CC

Edit: I've been thinkin' about buyin' Vanguard Financials ETF (VFH) , but since Vanguard's TSM (which I already have) has a healthy portion of financials in it, and haven't filled the wife's RothIRA yet, I haven't pulled the trigger on buying any VFH yet.

Jones Soda has just announced that they are moving away from High Fructose Corn Syrop in all their products. They have also expanded distribution to four major chains. And they will begin national TV promotion along with their rollout to the major chains.

This enhanced visibility with a healthier product should provide some upward pressure on their share prices. They may move into the mainstream in 2007. I have held them since 2001.

clifp said:
Interesting I've been looking at BPOP for sometime, M* has its fair value at $30/share and with 4% yield not the worse place to put money while the financial industry shakeout continues. I was concerned that 2006 revenues were pretty much flat,and there shutdown of some of there mainland operations isn't a good thing. I very much like the demographics of the Puerto Rican market and the ability of BPOP to make money from the many Puerto Rican's moving to places like NYC. Any additional thoughts about BPOP.

Finally any thoughts about TRST, this is NY regional bank that is paying a very generous 6.5% dividend. It has drifted down from $11 to just under $10 since I bought. I am assuming that is just the general sell off in banking stocks.

Actually, BPOP isn't shutting down their very extensive mainland operations, just the wholesale subprime mortgage division (a very good thing, IMO). The real issue with BPOP and the other Ricans is that PR is in recession, so credit quality is less than it could be. Since BPOP is easily the strongest, best run PR bank with the most diversified profile, I don't imagine they will have trouble weathering the storm. I will continue adding if it keeps getting cheaper.

I looked at TRST soem time ago. It appears to be a profitable, well-run bank, but I cannot get past 3X book for it when so many other attractive banks (BPOP, WHI, OCFC, AF, etc.) are far, far cheaper.

Brew -

Any interest in CFC if the subprime markets continues to drift it lower - like $20s price range? CFC seems to be the best of the worst.

Back
Top Bottom