help me, I think I'm falling...

winnie

Recycles dryer sheets
off the LBYM bandwagon....!

I haven't lusted after a new car since I traded in my much-loved Saab 900s for a minivan 4 years ago (those Saab rear seats were a b*tch to get a car seat in and out of!)...

But I've just seen the pics of the new Audi A5 coupe and ohmigosh do I want one...>:D http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/A5.html

Our other car is a perfectly fine subaru. Damn thing will go another 10 years at least I'm sure ....

Not sure if i'm going to be able to resist though.....

winnie

So, you think that it will be easy to get carseats in an d out of the backseat of a coupe? :LOL:

brewer12345 said:
So, you think that it will be easy to get carseats in an d out of the backseat of a coupe? :LOL:

Heck, you think I'm going to let my four year old in it...no, no, no....time in this vehicle will be my own personal vacation from my yogurt-spewing, crumb belching little bundle of joy....

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Resistance if futile. Go forth. Acquire the vehicle. You have no further control. ;)

I was hoping someone would say that!! I do love this site. Support for my parsimonious bone and support for my splurge-acious self too!

winnie

We share the thought disorders so prevalent in all of society. :)

Ha

I don't know how old you are winnie. For me, there were items that I lusted after when I was in my 30's but did not get because of LBYM. Today, at 49, I can afford those items easily, but have lost all interest in them.

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. But that how it is.

2008 S5?

Meh.

But the new R8?

Ah, now we are talkin':

8)

r8-2-750369.jpg

Sam said:
I don't know how old you are winnie. For me, there were items that I lusted after when I was in my 30's but did not get because of LBYM. Today, at 49, I can afford those items easily, but have lost all interest in them.

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. But that how it is.

I'm 43. For the last few years, I've felt just as you do. Actually, I've been a little worried about it! After I became "converted" to LBYM, all i saw in fancy cars were depreciating assets...until I saw the pics of this car and then all my old ways came flooding back!!! I'm still trying to resist though. I guess I need a 12 step program. Oh wait! I guess that's why I read this site.

DRiP Guy said:
2008 S5?

Meh.

But the new R8?

Ah, now we are talkin':

well, i'm just gently falling off the LBYM bandwagon -- not leaping off headfirst with abandon ;) the R8 is about double the projected price of the A5.

Plus, I still want to be able to post here. NOt sure I still could in good conscience if I went for that gloriously sybaritic vehicle :)

winnie

Here's is a picture of the car I need.

If I had this car I would never be late !

Attachments

• Beetle1.jpg
    Beetle1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Beetle1.jpg_thumb
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Beetle2.jpg
    Beetle2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 12
  • Beetle2.jpg_thumb
    26.5 KB · Views: 1
Masterblaster said:
The heck with when you arrive-- I want to see the results of the braking tests...

winnie said:
Not sure I still could in good conscience if I went for that gloriously sybaritic vehicle :)

winnie

He he he -- I don't get sent to the dictionary very often, but you did it!

Sybaritic, indeed!

"...displaying luxury and furnishing gratification to the senses;"

8)

winnie said:
off the LBYM bandwagon....!

I haven't lusted after a new car since I traded in my much-loved Saab 900s for a minivan 4 years ago (those Saab rear seats were a b*tch to get a car seat in and out of!)...

But I've just seen the pics of the new Audi A5 coupe and ohmigosh do I want one...>:D http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/A5.html

Our other car is a perfectly fine subaru. Damn thing will go another 10 years at least I'm sure ....

Not sure if i'm going to be able to resist though.....

winnie

Cars , Rust Buckets!! They sit in the rain and well get wet then they get rusty. No matter how nice it looks and smells they sit out in the rain and rot away!

How do you fall in love with a machine? It is just a car, it goes from point "A" to point "B".
Now if is safer then the mini van or Subaru different story. But looks... I look better with the extra 50K in my pocket. Cash is king!

newguy888 said:
Cars , Rust Buckets!! They sit in the rain and well get wet then they get rusty. No matter how nice it looks and smells they sit out in the rain and rot away!

And fancy gourmet meals at high end restaurants are just a bunch of dirty roots and leaves with a slab of dead cow, gussied up on a plate.... and fine wine is just a bunch of moldy grapes that's sat around a bit too long....and art is just a few gobs of well aimed (and possibly toxic) pigment flung at a canvas....

yep. this site always brings me back down to earth ;)

winnie said:
And fancy gourmet meals at high end restaurants are just a bunch of dirty roots and leaves with a slab of dead cow, gussied up on a plate.... and fine wine is just a bunch of moldy grapes that's sat around a bit too long....and art is just a few gobs of well aimed (and possibly toxic) pigment flung at a canvas....

yep. this site always brings me back down to earth ;)

There are a lot of engineers on this board.
But I have to agree - a car it just a means to get from A to B. I think once you are in the driver's seat you could be in a Benz or a Jetta.

I swore off Audis in 1976. That was when in the second year of ownership I spent over $2,000 in repair bills on my 1975 Audi Fox. (Mind you the car only cost about $6,000 NEW). Having to spend roughly one-third the cost of a new vehicle in repair costs in only the second year of ownership CURED me permanently. Thirty one years later, I still don't even want to LOOK at another German car.

For the price of the car, I could have a state of the art road bicycle, kayak, backpack, tent and sleeping bag, and the FI to spend as little time as possible sitting in a car seat. There IS pleasure to be had in things. To each her own.

Masterblaster said:
Here's is a picture of the car I need.

I had two bugs back in the early '70s, but the stereos had more power than the engines...

dex said:
I think once you are in the driver's seat you could be in a Benz or a Jetta.
Or a Ferrari. I got nailed yesterday afternoon for 55 in a 45. Sammy Hagar, anyone?

My 14-year-old said I handled it very well.

From MMM
"How do you fall in love with a machine? It is just a car, it goes from point "A" to point "B"."

I feel sorry for anyone who has never fallen in love with a car. So far for me it's been:( in order of ownership) 1970 Pontiac LeMans, 1971 Pontiac LeMans, 1978 Trans Am, 197? Ford Pinto,1967 Firebird Convertable.

ronc

Funny...just posted on another thread that I recently gave up the dream of a new BMW 3-series. After seeing all the dings in my current car (98 Honda), I just know how much the first ding would p**s me off. So....instead I'll focus on sockin away the $ I would spend on the car and prep for ER in 8/08.

You have a perfectly fine Suburu that will go for another 10 years? I definitely think you should buy the new car and sell me the Suburu, if you live anywhere nearby me! >:D My DD is wanting a car for her high school graduation and yours sounds perfect!!!

My first car was a Fiero six cylinder. It was fun while it lasted and I'm glad I bought it when I was young. I now have a Honda CRV and love it.

Dreamer said:
You have a perfectly fine Suburu that will go for another 10 years? I definitely think you should buy the new car and sell me the Suburu, if you live anywhere nearby me! >:D My DD is wanting a car for her high school graduation and yours sounds perfect!!!

I've been researching the safety angle of the audi vs subaru (as a tool of persuasion with my partner whose attitude toward cars is close to that of most posters on this thread :)....the Subaru has neither side curtain airbags nor electronic stability control so not sure if it would be perfect for a teen....on the other hand, driving it feels like driving a tractor, the pick-up is so slow...so there's little temptation to engage in reckless/speedy maneuvers. So maybe it would be a good first teen car.

winnie

winnie said:
I've been researching the safety angle of the audi vs subaru

Safety is one thing, but reliability and cost of repairs is another. Audi while very sexy, is not nearly as reliable as the Suburu (or most any other Japanese car). In addition, the cost to repair an Audi is higher than repairing an Asian import.

-- Rita
Former Audi owner -- now back to the Japanese models

Back
Top Bottom