How far are you from medical care?

Happy Guy

Confused about dryer sheets
I was just wondering how far people live from medical care (hospital, doctors, rescue squad). How much consideration was given that issue when you decided where to live? A speaker at a retirement seminar thought it was the most important criteria in deciding where to live. What do you think?

It's an important factor for me...more so later on than right now. It's one of the reasons (but only one) that we are not considering a move away from Houston now that we are retired. We are minutes away from some of the best medical facilities in the country.

Presently I am not retired, but I live 2 miles from my preferred hospital. All of my doctors have offices clustered around it. The only problem here is that medical care has been reduced to nearly a third world level since Katrina, since so many health professionals moved away and so many hospitals were destroyed (not mine, but others were). Yet another reason why I am tentatively planning to leave when I retire.

When I retire, I will be looking for a location that is less than five miles from a good hospital and doctors. I also want to be within walking distance of a grocery store and businesses, and I want to have access to city conveniences such as city water and sewage systems. I want to be close to a good gym and walking trails and a good library.

Picky, picky!! :rolleyes:

About 30 miles to closest hospital. Not considered as a factor in choosing location.

It's about 1 1/4 miles straight east to the hospital, and about 1 mile straight south to the doctor's office/clinic....and if there's an after-hours problem, Doc lives less than 2 blocks away....and does make house calls! He can also be reached by phone 24/7!!! It's great to be in Small Town America!!!

There are also at least 3 major trauma centers within 20 to 25 minutes by life-flight helicopter, and all of the hospitals around here have heli-pads.

As for EMT's and ambulances.....it's just a couple minutes by 911, the central fire house is about 10 blocks away from home. All of our local fire department personnel are trained EMT's, they have 2 fully equipped ambulances, and they are on duty 24 hours a day. There are 3 EMT's per vehicle. And the hospital's ER is staffed by some of the greatest folks on earth....they've always been the best!

I'm fortunate in that I didn't have to look around for good medical facilities, or other amenities in my selected retirement location. I'm staying in the same home that I've been in for over 48 years! (It's the old family homestead.) I like the area, the people (esp. my neighbors!), the climate (more or less), the nice quiet neighborhood, and the whole town over all. The grass may sometimes seem greener on the other side of the fence....but it needs cutting sometimes too! So I'll stay put!!! :D

New hospital going up 1.2 miles away from home (opening scheduled for Jan 2008). Doctor (Gate Keeper) about 3 miles away. Current referral Doctors all located at same location area as GK.

When I retire, I will be looking for a location that is less than five miles from a good hospital and doctors. I also want to be within walking distance of a grocery store and businesses, and I want to have access to city conveniences such as city water and sewage systems. I want to be close to a good gym and walking trails and a good library.

Picky, picky!! :rolleyes:

That sounds like here! We have all of that. We've got a very nice library, city water and sewer service, 2 gyms, plus a very nice YMCA. One of the nicest state parks is only 15 minutes away, and has about 13 miles of well maintained walking trails. It just made the list of the Top 7 Wonders of Illinois!!! Starved Rock State Park!

Another little known option that a some people use around here, instead of paying for a gym, they get a note from their doctor and can go out the hospital and use all of the equipment in the physical therapy unit. It only costs about $35 per person per month...and there is a discount for couples! It's the same equipment and machines as you find in the gyms, plus their is someone there to show you how to use the stuff. And.....there's FREE coffee!!!

About 5 minute walk from firehouse with paramedics.
Urgent care center about 2 miles.
Nearest hospital about 10 miles.

Been at this address for 29 years.
Medical care not a factor in location.

Future moves? Don't know.

Fire station and police storefront within 2 miles. PCP about 5 miles. Numerous hospitals within 10 miles.

That sounds like here! We have all of that. We've got a very nice library, city water and sewer service, 2 gyms, plus a very nice YMCA. One of the nicest state parks is only 15 minutes away, and has about 13 miles of well maintained walking trails. It just made the list of the Top 7 Wonders of Illinois!!! Starved Rock State Park!

Another little known option that a some people use around here, instead of paying for a gym, they get a note from their doctor and can go out the hospital and use all of the equipment in the physical therapy unit. It only costs about $35 per person per month...and there is a discount for couples! It's the same equipment and machines as you find in the gyms, plus their is someone there to show you how to use the stuff. And.....there's FREE coffee!!!

That park is beautiful!! Goonie, you are in a terrific place for retirement, from my point of view. I think I went to Starved Rock when I was a little girl back around 1961, with my uncle (geology prof at the state university at Normal, now deceased) and his four kids. We had a ball rock-climbing in the area.

Frank and I have been thinking about Springfield, Missouri, which is just one state away. It has a lot of the same sort of amenities. Nothing in the Top 7 Wonders level, but it does have walking trails all around town which seems kind of nifty, to me. :)

Last edited:
That park is beautiful!! Goonie, you are in a terrific place for retirement, from my point of view. Frank and I have been thinking about Springfield, Missouri, which is just one state away. It has a lot of the same sort of amenities. Nothing in the Top 7 Wonders level, but it does have walking trails all around town which seems kind of nifty, to me. :)

That is a nice area down there. I had friends that used to live in Springfield (unfortunately I lost track of them after they moved). My great aunts and uncles lived about 100 mile east along the MO/AR state line, in Thayer. My Dad, as well as a lot of my relatives on his side of the family, came from south/southcentral MO. And, yes, they were (are) real live 'hillbillies'! ;) It is really nice country down there!

One of the guys I used to w*rk with, is moving down to that neck of the woods in a few weeks when he retires. Actually, just a bit south of there in AR.

Starved Rock looks similar to the area between Springfield and Branson, with the rock out-croppings and such.

I can't swing a dead cat without hitting two or three (actually there are at least 3 hospitals, a couple of urgent care centers, and probably even a few vets within a mile). It had nothing to do with our decision to move here.:)

I rely heavily on medical facilities. We were actively thinking of moving away but decided to stay due to proximity of hospitals and doctors.

Mike D.

currently i live in south florida urban area so of course medicine abounds.

since i'm considering first a vagabond life and after that a cruising life aboard, for the next 20plus years i'll be working more on getting & keeping my body as healthy as possible than i'll be worrying about keeping as close as possible to medical facilities.

for later in life, like maybe in my late 70s & 80s plus, i picture myself living in a rural college town with a good medical college & a teaching hospital.

We have a small hospital and medical offices about six blocks away from my house in our small town.

Though in reality, I'd probably want to go into Austin or San Antonio for treatment and surgeries related to significant medical conditions. That's 75-100 miles away.

About 10 minutes away from 3 hospitals and 5 minutes to my doc's clinic. Great health care for a small town of 50k.

The ambulance will take 5 minutes to get here. Loading will be another 5-10 minutes depending on any stabilizing actions taken. Then the hospital is 12 minutes away. So the total is 22-27 minutes from placing the 911 call.

We have a walk-in clinic that is 5 minutes walk from here.

I'm 10 min from the local hosptial, 20 min to two other hospitals in the area and with lights and siren going about 35 minutes from several major hospitals in Boston.

Back
Top Bottom