Surfing Safari is a Blast

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi guys. Having a great time on my surfing safari -- what a perfect thing to do when early retired. My blog has more pictures.

01Mural.jpg

01AMarina.jpg

01EGirlSurfing.jpg

02Hammock.jpg

Hey bruddah, your pictures are no working for me! :confused:
x
x
x
x

I get a "Forbidden" message when clicking your links, Nords. If these are pictures from the blog, then I saw them. Thanks for trying.

so cal forecast

Al, here's the latest forecast for southern california:

Tuesday the 14th looks similar, small surf most everywhere with the best chance for something even longboardable around south facing breaks. Winds should remain light in the AM, but afternoon onshores could get a bit brisk in some areas. Tide will also be extremely low for early AM sessions. More on the winds here, tides here, and wave heights here.
Wednesday the 15th wind swell is expected to pick up along the coast. This 305-degree, 9-second period surf should help many west facing breaks with waist high surf, perhaps some chest high peaks at times, but anything above waist high will be rare. South facing breaks can expect a little wrap, perhaps knee to waist. Winds should remain light in the AM, but variable and not likely as calm as previous mornings. The tide will also be extremely low right before dawn. More on the winds here, tides here, and wave heights here.
Thursday the 16th it looks like the wind swell will pick up a bit. No southern hemi is due around this time, so the wind swell is the only thing we can count on then. Models today point to a 10-15% increase, but due to the proximity of the wind swell, we'll need to confirm this in our Tuesday report.
Friday the 17th, so far, looks like a wind swell day with waist to chest high peaks for west facing breaks, knee to waist for south facing spots picking up some wrap.
Saturday the 18th this wind swell will likely decline. As mentioned previously though, we'll need to see how this plays out over the next couple of days.
Sunday the 19th, so far, looks small.
Monday the 20th is our next chance at seeing something from the southern hemisphere, but so far, this isn't looking all that great. This is from a storm forming southwest of Chile that should traverse the coastline of South America. These kinds of storms, while pushing surf towards Central America, usually don't work well for us. This one though is sitting far enough off the Chilean coast right now to throw some energy our way. According to this morning's models, this would be angled steep from 160-170 degrees, which immediately eliminates many surf spots in SoCal. The energy would be sporadic with infrequent sets for breaks able to work this angle with max size calculating out to around waist to chest by the looks of things today. Some of this is still based on 48h+ models, so we'll need to see how this progresses over the next few days.

Looks like you might get some waves mid-week through Fri. But not much on tap beyond that for a while. Typical summer doldrums. :p

p.s. - looks like Hawaii stole our tropical hurricane Flossie. Go get 'em Nords!

p.s. - looks like Hawaii stole our tropical hurricane Flossie. Go get 'em Nords!
Dude, you can take it back anytime you want.

This storm's track is frighteningly reminiscent of Iniki. Big Island is already signed up for some impressive winds and NWS is trying to spin this almost as much as the storm itself. It's been consistently north of and nastier than what NWS thinks it should be doing. Bottom line is what was supposed to be a wimpy little tropical storm has bulked up into a cat 3 hurricane rampaging through warm ocean like a bull in a china shop with only the tradewinds keeping it from veering further north.

My spouse the meteorologist got a Reserves "stand by" call Sunday morning, took one look at the forecast discussion, and said "Let's go buy groceries, gas, & plywood. Now." She hasn't done that since... well... Iniki. We'll be finishing the rest of the checklist today & tomorrow and then maybe I can think about going surfing.

But hey, Big Island south shore is looking at 8-12 over the next 48 and I'm pretty sure White Plains will be doing the same by Wednesday.

Dude, you can take it back anytime you want.

This storm's track is frighteningly reminiscent of Iniki. Big Island is already signed up for some impressive winds and NWS is trying to spin this almost as much as the storm itself. It's been consistently north of and nastier than what NWS thinks it should be doing. Bottom line is what was supposed to be a wimpy little tropical storm has bulked up into a cat 3 hurricane rampaging through warm ocean like a bull in a china shop with only the tradewinds keeping it from veering further north.

My spouse the meteorologist got a Reserves "stand by" call Sunday morning, took one look at the forecast discussion, and said "Let's go buy groceries, gas, & plywood. Now." She hasn't done that since... well... Iniki. We'll be finishing the rest of the checklist today & tomorrow and then maybe I can think about going surfing.

But hey, Big Island south shore is looking at 8-12 over the next 48 and I'm pretty sure White Plains will be doing the same by Wednesday.

Category 4.

Tropical Storm: Tracking Map : Weather Underground

can't see pics and nord's links don't work. stop teasing me.

ps nords track doesn't look too bad www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tc_graphics/2007/graphics/EP092007W.201.gif

i'm always impressed with relative accuracy of noaa forecasts though of course you can never really tell till it gets there or not. i notice forecast for weakening due to colder waters around hawaii. offshore here water very shallow so stays warm and of course storms get to cross the gulfstream or come up the gulf to gather strength on the way. i hadn't realized before that hawaiian waters were so chilly.

Last edited:
I am having a great time on your vacation! Since I am taking care of a sick parent and can't even think about a trip, vicarious enjoyment is about all I have! Like others here, I can't see any pictures that are posted on the forum but am really enjoying the blog!

Tex

Sorry about the pics. Here are some as attachments:

Attachments

• 01AMarina.jpg
    01AMarina.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 01WantWoman.jpg
    01WantWoman.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 01Mural.jpg
    01Mural.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 02DSurfLineup.jpg
    02DSurfLineup.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 02EGirlSurfing.jpg
    02EGirlSurfing.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 4
I'm in a coffee shop in Aptos, and I just got off Skype talking with DW and DD in Sweden! Wild, huh?

Thanks for the swell summary Ronin! Tide was super low this morning, and I was getting snagged by the kelp regularly. But I had some fun rides in the smallest waves I've ever been in.

Just updated the blog and I'm on my way to Pismo Beach now. Just got the low battery notification. CU!

hey t-al sure looks like fun! why the motel 6 in san diego? i just stayed at a double tree in berkeley for $65 bucks! don't forget priceline! i've done reservations on there the day of the trip...

enjoy...

Great blog, Al. Keep the stories and the pictures coming. I probably missed the "swedish connection" story somewhere, but that's my home country (born, not currently living) :D

In Santa Barbara now, in the library. Man, I've got to slow down! I'm getting worn out. I posted yesterday's stuff, and I'll have to trek back to the car and get the laptop charger before I post more stuff from today.

One disadvantage of a trip is that you can't always take a nap when you want to. Life is tough, huh?

Another disadvantage is every time you need something, you have to dig for it in the car.

04100LookingInTrunk.jpg

looks like lots of fun. good, ah hem, views there AL.

Al -

Your trip sounds like a blast. I did a mini-safari last spring from San Diego up to San Clemente. Lots of good longboard spots in between there. I'll be glad to give you some suggestions of surf spots, taco stands, surf shops, etc., that you might want to visit in that stretch. I'd love to head over to San-O to surf with you for a day but my w*rk schedule won't allow it. Catch one for me.

Camping is not my thing, but your trip looks great...and I am jealous.
I, particularly, got a kick out of the raccoon photo. Cool!
Great blog and really interesting to read. Thanks for sharing.

While in SB, check out the SB Brewing Co. Nice beer selection, and the food was impressive :) Enjoying your trip vicariously!

Al, here's the report for early next week. It looks promising... they get the west swell down south pretty well.

Monday the 20th is when our next southern hemi swell is due, and we could also see some hurricane swell around this time. The southern hemi is from a storm that formed recently southwest of Chile that's been traveling northward along the coastline of South America. These kinds of storms, while pushing surf towards Central America, usually don't work well for us. This one though has remained far enough off the Chilean coast to throw some swell our way—but don't get too excited just yet. This swell will be angled steep from 160-170 degrees, which immediately eliminates many surf spots in SoCal, especially north of LA. The energy will likely be sporadic with infrequent sets. South facing breaks able to work this angle can expect waist to chest high waves. Periods will also be rather long (16-18 seconds), so there will no doubt be disparity in size between breaks of varying bathymetry. Breaks with steeper bathymetry that shoal well and refract the southerly energy ideally will see bigger sets than the slower sloped, longboard-type breaks.
This though may not be the only swell in the water. As mentioned earlier, Monday the 20th could also see some tropical activity. This is still based on long-range models, but we've broken down the specifics in the Tropical Outlook section below.
Tuesday the 21st could prove to be an interesting surf day along the California coast. The 72h+ models place a hefty storm in the Gulf of Alaska on a beeline for the Oregon coast. Simulations say this would slam the Oregon and Washington coasts with at least 20-foot surf, which is hard to believe given that this is August and not January. Still, models seem convinced on this unseasonable scenario this morning. This could mean SoCal could see some 290- 300-degree energy with 11-13 second periods making for highly consistent, chest to head high waves around west facing breaks. This whole scenario seems surreal though given the time of year and all, and basing this on 72h+ models, we'll definitely need a few more days to see how this all plays out.

I just keep updating your blog to see what trouble you've gotten yourself into...
Great read

...and you should apply for Andy Rooney's job on 60min. He can't live forever (ouch!)

You RANT with the best 'o'em

Poor Al,

Just read your blog. Very dismal campground. No privacy - and all the problems you described. I am a car camper too - try to only go to the wooded state parks - a ways away from the "facilities" - no electric stuff. No more than two coolers (one for drinks, one for food) Some of us still believe in chat-n-chew campfires with no music, camping where there is no cell phone service/wifii, and maybe mountain bikes and kayaks for "recreational" vehicles. There is still some hope :)

I haven't camped at San Onofre in a long time, but it's not one of the great state parks for peace and quiet or natural beauty, being hard by the 5 FWY. But it does possess numerous trails which lead down the bluffs to very nice secluded beaches. Whether it's camping or just going out in the front yard and experiencing my rapidly devolving 3rd world neighborhood, I am convinced people have turned into self-centered a$$holes in general, myself excluded naturally. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom