Healthy Costa Rica alternatives?

tmitchell

Recycles dryer sheets
I started going to CR several years ago because it was and it an amazingly beautiful spot for healthy recreation--surf/swim, yoga, great gyms, hiking & nature, etc. The food was never interesting, but it was possible to keep it pretty healthy.

But my favorite place there just keeps getting more expensive, now pushing $400+/night. Yes there are cheaper options there, but for the cost it's just not as interesting. Flights have also gone up substantially with its growing popularity.

What are your favorite places for healthy-focused places? I've never been to HI, which I imagine at this point is probably somewhat comparable price wise. Maybe given the prices in CR it's worth it?

I spent a week in Bogota a year ago and the hotel had one of the best gyms I've ever seen. Also very inexpensive. Food was excellent but Bogota is a massive city, so not exactly what I'm looking for since nature is a trek. Tourists are apparently getting killed in Medellin too, though that seems to be sex/drug related and my party days are behind me.

Thanks for any recommendations!

I am a tad confused. What makes Costa Rica healthy, compared to eating a salad in any area?

Air quality? Exercise you naturally get because the weather is so nice?

I love Costa Rica but I got more exercise hiking the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island.

Bali

Bali...several trips there when working oil & gas in Indonesia. Nice place, niece beaches, lots of fun, (get a driver), good eating places, etc. ;)

I am a tad confused. What makes Costa Rica healthy, compared to eating a salad in any area?

Air quality? Exercise you naturally get because the weather is so nice?

I love Costa Rica but I got more exercise hiking the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island.

Like any place it's only as healthy as you make it, but for the price you used to be able to have easy access to land & sea, a blue zone diet, excellent yoga programs, hotels with state of the art gyms, etc. Hiking, sunshine, daily yoga and surfing are a far cry from my concrete jungle. Also their tourism industry has been built to support the natural world and good conservation practices. I used to get all that for under $100/night.

It's a little hard to understand how you don't see that having been there, but if you live in Seattle I can see why you wouldn't need to venture far out for that kind of lifestyle. Vancouver Island is gorgeous but the weather is not as friendly.

Bali...several trips there when working oil & gas in Indonesia. Nice place, niece beaches, lots of fun, (get a driver), good eating places, etc. ;)

Thanks! Any specific places you liked?

Thanks! Any specific places you liked?

I have stayed at Kuta Beach, but there are a dozen good ones. Here's a peek:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g294226-Activities-c61-t52-Bali.html

Many Aussies vacation on Bali as it is less expensive (way back when for me) than in Australia.

We would hire a driver for a day and go exploring wood carving and silver jewelry craft shops in the mountain areas. Lots of fun. I have several hand carved items from Master Carvers that I bought for a few dollars. We picked up a few silver brooches for little cost.

Nice nightclubs for food and dancing too.

I suspect now it's a lot more crowded than the times I was in Bali years ago, like everyplace else these days.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the prices but a group of my friends spent last week in Roatán, Honduras and said it was wonderful. They're not really the type to look for healthy options, though; more the type to look for boat drinks and booze cruises.

We have spent numerous extended winter trips in Thailand, Australia, and the Pacific coast of Mexico-Puerto Escondio and Zihuatanejo in particular. They are among our favorites.

We have also spent a fair amount of winter time in Costa Rica and Panama but not for four years.

I don't know anything about the prices but a group of my friends spent last week in Roatán, Honduras and said it was wonderful. They're not really the type to look for healthy options, though; more the type to look for boat drinks and booze cruises.

I enjoyed an all-inclusive dive resort there but would not leave the resort on my own. Definitely didn't feel safe out in town.

We just returned form Aruba. Loved it. Airbnb at 100-200/night. People were super friendly to the tourists. We love St Croix and it's USA so we like that. Good luck.

I enjoyed an all-inclusive dive resort there but would not leave the resort on my own. Definitely didn't feel safe out in town.

Interesting, thanks I'll research. I'm looking into Nicaragua and Guatemala as well. People seem to have good things to say, though for different reasons.

Roatan is nice but I caught dengue fever there from a mosquito bite so I'll not return.

Back
Top Bottom