REIT Index funds or ETFs - any advice?

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello,

I want to add REITs to my portfolio and have been researching REIT Index funds. I found that there are multiple REIT indexes and funds/etfs that follow them. I disregarded any ETF with low trading volume and funds with loads.

The Vanguard fund/ETF follows the MSCI® US REIT Index.
The iShares Dow Jones US Real Estate Index fund follows the similarly named index.
The Dow Jones Wilshire REIT ETF mirrors the Dow Jones Wilshire REIT Index.
The iShares Cohen & Steers Realty Majors Index Fund tracks the similarly named index.
DFA's fund tracks its own index

Moreover, the fees and 3 & 5 year performance numbers are different enough for the funds to confuse me. (data from morningstar.com)

Any advice?

icf is my first choice with rwr my 2nd. i will probley start to buy icf on the next drop

If you plan on adding money to your REIT position regularly, go with a fund (no transaction fees but higher expense ratio). If you plan on investing a lump sum, go with an ETF (transaction fees but lower expense ratio). I personally use the VG REIT index fund because I DCA into it every month and after shopping around I found it to be the best REIT fund choice for me. I don't really use ETFs, so I can't help you there.

Btw its much better to own VG REIT in a tax deferred fund.

-h

I have had VG REIT fund in my Roth IRA for a number of years. It has preformed as I expected and is as volatile as I assumed it would be. I have been making monthly contributions for years and as long as I continue to receive earned income, I will continue to add to it in this manner. I'll know in about 30 years if this was a good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom