New here...planning to retire oversea

Nanita8140

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi I'm 41 years old and my husband is 45. We have our home almost payed off and we are diversified in several investment vehicles. We are both Argentines and while we love the U.S. and have lived here for decades(I came here at the tender age of 5), we see that the possibility of a comfortable retirement here is getting more difficult. We are not planning on retiring until at least our kids are in college. I have already done much research on retiring in Argentina and have met Americans already living over there and are living a very nice life. Our main purpose to retire overseas would be to beat inflation and allow our funds to be stretched further.

Welcome to the ER forums.

If you do a search of the threads, you may find some others particularly addressing overseas retirement. Perhaps the "Travel" subforum especially, but maybe the "Other", or "Life After ER" as well.

A friend of mine has travelled quite a bit in South America. In fact at age 60, he met his to-be wife in Chile. He had been a lifelong bachelor, was feeling lonely, and tied the knot at age 60 after he had retired. They now live part of the year in the US and part of the year in Chile.

Welcome again, and try posting some questions on overseas retirement in some of the other subforums, and I am sure you will get some informative responses.

Hi, Nanita,

Some of us share your interest in retiring overseas. I do, for the same reasons you do, but my wife does not. Big sales job coming up here.

The guy who runs this board is living in BA at the moment. Search the board for 'Argentina' and read the posts.

From what I have read, Mendoza is very interesting. If I were on my own and poor, Mar Del Plata would be high on my list. BA might appeal to younger folks like you. Not for me.

Then there is Uruguay, just over the river. I have heard that the manners there are more familiar to us North Americans than any others in Latin America. You may find that more comfortable as you have basically grown up 'Murcun.

I have a loose connection to Chile which appears to be a very interesting place.

I have many friends from Venezuela and imagine that we could be very comfortable if we could avoid trouble.

Have you cruised some of the internet forums for such places? I do not know of one for Argentina, but there is a good one for Colombia, which is as iff-y as VZ these days. There are also very good forums for Chile and Uruguay, not to mention Mexico (and Costa Rica and Panama, but they ain't what they used to be).

Take your time. The research is fun.

Cheers,

El Gitano

Back
Top Bottom