Hi, my net worth

Gazingus

Recycles dryer sheets
is $900,000.

I mean $875,000.

Oops, I mean $855,000.

Oh shoot, $810,000.

This is when I quit looking and quit trading and just wait. I don't own any bonds because I don't see the point in trying to smooth the dips at the cost of not riding to the top of the wave that will eventually crest.

Of course, I'm still at work. I'm surprised there is not more chatter on the fourm about this little "welcome to the new year" downturn. Are there any stomach aches among the ERs? I'm curious because I have no idea what it will feel like when I'm in that position.

Not sure about the other ER faithful, but this veteran of market swings doesn't question the wisdom of asset allocation and doesn't fall for the temptation of market timing. What goes down has always come back up. Of course the question is always "when?"...and having cast iron gonads helps a lot (along with 3+ years expenses in cash). ;)

Plenty of cash here too along with enough dividends and interest coming in to make it through market corrections. Can't say I'm happy about it though. :(

If this keeps up, according to Firecalc I'll have to start looking at Monster.com.:D

Well not really, I'm with REW, just sit and wait.

I'm a buyer. Drops like this are good news for me!

I just close my eyes and pray to the 8lb 6 oz lil baby jesus in his cradle.

Last edited:
We've finally gotten to the point where we are satisfied with our AA. Since DH is still working, it's not too bad. But, he wants to retire in about 1 year and 4 months. By then we will have 5 years of cash and a non cola'd pension, so we should be in pretty good shape.

If the time comes that things get really bad down the road and we're both retired, well, we'll go back to w*rk.

There, I said it. :p

I have a feeling 8000 dow looks more likely than 15000 dow. This mess in the finacial markets is much bigger than anyone really sees.

8000 dow? I would bet my retirement that we'll never see 4 figure dow again. As for 15000 dow, it won't be this decade but we'll get there eventually.

Mine has gone up since the new year, what, 5% so far.

And was up 15% last year, which compares with the 3.5% of the S&P.

ER is a long-term game. Proper diversificton makes these gyrations an opportunity rather than a worry (for me anyway). :D

Not sure about the other ER faithful, but this veteran of market swings doesn't question the wisdom of asset allocation and doesn't fall for the temptation of market timing. What goes down has always come back up. Of course the question is always "when?"...and having cast iron gonads helps a lot (along with 3+ years expenses in cash). ;)

Give that man a cigar !

Although I'm one year into retirement, I'm still about 3 years away from making any withdrawals from my retirement portfolio. (We too have about 3+ years expenses in cash to supplement my non-COLA'd pension.) So for now, I'm not too concerned by the correction in the market. Sure hope we're not in this position in 2011, though!

I'm not diversified enough to take advantage of this one, but regardless of current factors like oil prices, mortgage lending, you-name-it, these things are still based on emotion; namely fear.

When it swings, the sellers will be trying to get back in and the race will be on.

All bond portfolio - around 10% return on the intermediate term, the 30 years returned 15%.

Previous to that I was 100% stock. But I studied inflation and deflation deeply and changed my asset allocation, along with selling physical assets (house, extra car, etc.)

these things are still based on emotion; namely fear.

Unfortunately not.

Last edited:
Gazingus,

You already have an introduction thread. Future threads such as this one would be better off in FIRE And Money or one of the other forums.

I'm a devout AA'er and still in accumulation phase. This downturn means I'm buying on the cheap...

I'm still accumulating as well and see it as a buying/DCA opportunity.
R

Back
Top Bottom