Just out of curiousity,,,

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
The SWR is supposed to be based upon the WORST 30 year period in the history of the market. Does anybody know when that was? I'm guessing it started sometime in the 60's. But I honestly don't have a clue, and wouldn't even be able to start to calculate it even if I did know where to find the rates of return for all those years.

The great depression and the period of ~1964-1975 are the two primary failure points.

A deep drop and not much after that, and a long sideways period.

Seems like my worst case failure in the majority of my FireCalc runs start in 1966.

1966. Fresh out of college - with a good en ga neering job - ego to match - full service Dean Witter broker - a legend in my own mind. 1968 - a few winners, penthouse apartment, new sports car, chasing dirty blonds, trying to learn golf and downhill sking. Will the last person leaving Seattle please turn out the lights and 73/74 Mr Market started the wake up calls.

This was even before - psst Wellesley.

heh heh heh - :cool: 4% came with webtv, Bernstein's Efficient Frontier and this(Dory36) forum via Firecalc. I had no idea how much fun I had - except in hindsight. Note - Wellesley started 1970.

Heh. I'm guessing your opinion of that era was formed as a middle school student. ;)

It was formed by 35,973 stories, most of them almost exactly alike, about how my dad bought stocks in the mid 60's for $xxx and finally gave up in the early 70's when they were down to $x and thats why he'd never own stocks again. And how they of course went right back up again the minute he sold and are worth 20x as much now. And how the bonds all paid lousy rates too. And...and...and...

So you depression babies werent the only ones who had so suffer from the investing diatribes ;)

I can't speak for other depression babies but I never had to listen to any diatribes about investing. The only stock my dad ever talked about was the live variety that he had to milk every morning...just before he walked to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways. ;)

Bet you have strong fingers from clinging to the windowsills while you slept, of course being too poor to afford floors.

It was formed by 35,973 stories, most of them almost exactly alike, about how my dad bought stocks in the mid 60's for $xxx and finally gave up in the early 70's when they were down to $x and thats why he'd never own stocks again. And how they of course went right back up again the minute he sold and are worth 20x as much now. And how the bonds all paid lousy rates too. And...and...and...
So you depression babies werent the only ones who had so suffer from the investing diatribes ;)
I can't speak for other depression babies but I never had to listen to any diatribes about investing. The only stock my dad ever talked about was the live variety that he had to milk every morning...just before he walked to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways. ;)
You two have just described my father-in-law and my father.

No nightmares for me tonight. Sure...

Old monty python bit.

There is no original creation. If monty python didnt do it, simpsons did it.

Thats the one

"You were lucky to have a lake! There were 150 of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the street!

Sheeeer luxury!!"

It was OK as long as the bong was full and you could score some decent "windowpane" once in awhile :cool:.

That [-]caused a flashback[/-] brought back some memories...
Eye_anim.gif

Appropriately enough, I took a hit of "pyramid" before I saw Pink Floyd the first time... (Medical experiments: obligatory MP reference...)

My dad, born 1930, has never owned a stock. Raw land, he says...

Hah. Six posts before the start of thread entropy, seventeen for nearly complete decomposition!

Heh heh heh - da nail in the coffin:

Google up 'The Retire Early Home Page' and read Mr Greany's 4% withdrawal in hard times article.

DO NOT! I repeat do not use the search function on this forum to explore retirement in the 1999 - 2002 period or engage in forward prognostication.

Hopefully most of the sinful stuff has been purged!

A little change up to plug Greany - psssst - TIPs.

:D

heh heh heh - :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom