Fifty and counting...backwards!

RunAway

Confused about dryer sheets
Wanting to reclaim my youth but without all the angst! Who wouldn't want to do that? So before I get back into diapers (counting backwards from 50, remember?) I'd really like to see the world and play all day. Maybe work some too.

Hubby and I are finally debt freeeeee, but for the house, which just got refinanced from an ARM and prices in the neighborhood are down, down, down from foreclosures. We are way behind as far as saving for retirement, but our jobs are good, so we are saving and investing like crazy, and hoping to move to a cheaper place and save even more, if prices ever come back so we can sell. We have a plan and it could work: eventually, sooner than later, sell everything and skip the country, see the wide, beautiful world while we're young enough to enjoy it. Spend a few months "here" or "there" and then move on to the next place. Roots? We don't need no stinking roots! Need to save enough to last till retirement and SS kick in. Anyway, that's the plan. Glad to be here with people approaching old age kicking and screaming and clawing in the opposite direction!

RunAway, welcome! You've got a plan, you know what needs to be done -- that's half the battle. Good luck!

Coach

Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of information here. All you need to do is ask.

Have you made a run through Firecalc with your estimated retirement expenses? That will tell you a lot about what you will need to do.

Welcome! If you do a search for "retiring overseas" you'll see a lot of threads related to the subject.

Wanting to reclaim my youth but without all the angst! Who wouldn't want to do that? So before I get back into diapers (counting backwards from 50, remember?) I'd really like to see the world and play all day. Maybe work some too.

Hubby and I are finally debt freeeeee, but for the house, which just got refinanced from an ARM and prices in the neighborhood are down, down, down from foreclosures. We are way behind as far as saving for retirement, but our jobs are good, so we are saving and investing like crazy, and hoping to move to a cheaper place and save even more, if prices ever come back so we can sell. We have a plan and it could work: eventually, sooner than later, sell everything and skip the country, see the wide, beautiful world while we're young enough to enjoy it. Spend a few months "here" or "there" and then move on to the next place. Roots? We don't need no stinking roots! Need to save enough to last till retirement and SS kick in. Anyway, that's the plan. Glad to be here with people approaching old age kicking and screaming and clawing in the opposite direction!

Sounds like given your age and the limited information you've provided you may not be as far along the road to FIRE as some others on this board, but don't let that discourage you.

But you are debt free (except mortgage - me too) and that's the first biggest step along the road to FIRE that most Americans have trouble with. Congratulatiions!!!

FIRE is a worthwhile goal even if it doesn't support the lifestyle some willhave who have been planning/saving/investing for it for 30 years.

To me FIRE is about freedom - not necessarily a luxurious lifestyle. Personally I won't have quite as much finanicially as some others on here, yet more than others too - but what I will have in abundance is freedom.

Back
Top Bottom