Holy cr@p, the sky is falling...

What is the thought process behind 30-45 days? Are you basing this solely on seasonal trends - e.g., is it just that the historically worst month of the year will be over and then the usual xmas rally starts to kick in?

Shhh...I said oil and gold were going down and they did. I said the dollar would go up and it did. Just go with it.

[{Moderator Edit}[/quote]

I'll be glad to [mod edit - classy reply :rolleyes:]! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
....consumers settle down and regain confidence
....new gov't in both Canada and USA restore optimism
That should bring order back to things.

Can't speak for Canada, but stock values started down when Obamafication started to be a likelihood. Doubt that making that strong possibility into an established reality is going to send them back up again. Jimme Carter didn't do much for stocks either.

Ha

Aw, C'mon, Rich. Even I thought it was funny. I bet his wife would have laughed at it, too.

Aww, does this mean I'm off your ignore list now?

Someone always complains about everything...

And yeah, my wife would have howled at the 30-45 days. Nowhere near that often... ;)

Hey, yesterday it went up, and today it went down - - it will all balance out in the long run.

Don't forget to smell the roses along the way (or watch the squirrels). 8)

W2R,

You seem to have become a lot more immune to market ups and downs in the last year or two!

MB

In the meanwhile, everyone have a cocktail and watch something fun on tv this evening, then have a round of massive, screaming sex, and forget about this BS for about 30-45 days.

Best advice I've seen all week! Can't wait til this TV show is over:D

Even with all that said it is kind of gut wrenching sometimes, ain't it?
Yep! It's definitely painful to witness these declines, but the markets will eventually recover in :confused: days/months/years/decades.

No worries here.

I was out of the stock market before I retired last year.

Out of debt too.

:angel:

No disrespect, but there's recently been a thread about the ability to handle market girations. This is no different. A diversified asset allocation would help reduce the portfolio declines we're all experiencing.

Your portfolio will shift up and down by expenses covering one year or more. This will happen. This will never end. You need to be able to handle this. There's no pill one can take to remove this issue. Portfolios can fall 50% and then rebound. One needs to be able to ride it down and back up, in order to live off a portfolio during FIRE. If you cannot handle that, you cannot FIRE or stay FIRE'd, you'll just be fodder for another foolish newspaper article about how the TSE or the S&P 500 fell 30% and my retirement is ruined... :cool:

Your withdrawals cannot be completely connected to (temporary) portfolio values, you'll never know which way is up. The multiple your portfolio covers in annual expenses will bounce around. That's all part of the fun, but it beats working for a living, no?

Petey

...my FIRE depends on the TSE and it fell another 500 points today.

I now need to die 3 years earlier :-(

Best to hunker down, enjoy my classes, and hobbies, until brighter skies. I can't add to the camera collection, but I can shot more of my stockpile of film.

How are you weathering this?

Vick

No disrespect, but there's recently been a thread about the ability to handle market girations. This is no different. A diversified asset allocation would help reduce the portfolio declines we're all experiencing.

Your portfolio will shift up and down by expenses covering one year or more. This will happen. This will never end. You need to be able to handle this. There's no pill one can take to remove this issue. Portfolios can fall 50% and then rebound. One needs to be able to ride it down and back up, in order to live off a portfolio during FIRE. If you cannot handle that, you cannot FIRE or stay FIRE'd, you'll just be fodder for another foolish newspaper article about how the TSE or the S&P 500 fell 30% and my retirement is ruined... :cool:

If someone's portfolio drops by 50% during retirement, they don't have a diversified one. :eek:

I'm nearing my first year of ER. I retired on the last friday in September at 50 years of age. I have to admit I'm not thrilled with the market but I knew that there would be down years. It has caused me to be alittle more carefull with my money and I will probably cut back alittle on the extras untill things turn around. If the market was up I would probably be more inclined to take nicer vacations ( do you still call them vacations if your not working?). We will still be taking some trips but they will be less expensive. I wish I could say that the market gyrations don't effect me but I still know I'm down over a years worth of expenses. I'm not going to be bailing out of stocks, and I may even be buying a small amount, but it does effect me.

We have no debt and enough comming in that all the basic's are covered even without our stock holdings, so I still sleep fine at night. But it does effect my spending on the extra's.

W2R,

You seem to have become a lot more immune to market ups and downs in the last year or two!

MB

Its the Wellesley...it does that...

Wellesley is a big help for me. Also, I have ironed out my asset allocation quite a bit in the past two years. Two years ago, I was in the accumulation phase with 80:20 (equities:fixed), and shortly before then I was 100% equities. I wasn't at all comfortable with that, but had to do it because of starting over with nothing but debt, a broken sofa, and an unreliable junk car in 1998 (divorce is ugly). It was a gamble that I had to try, and it paid off especially between 2003-2006.

Since then I have gradually moved to a 45:55 AA for retirement, which is an AA that I can live with. And yes, I love my Wellesley! :smitten:

Last edited:
Since then I have gradually moved to a 45:55 AA for retirement, which is an AA that I can live with.
Want2retire,
I am glad that you have survived the hurricane. Our AA is about 50/50 (equity/fixed income) but still quite volatile.

If someone's portfolio drops by 50% during retirement, they don't have a diversified one. :eek:

Triple :eek: !!!

Go do a FIRECALC run with your diversified portfolio choice.

Look at the squiggly lines that show the portfolio balance over time. Show me one that does not drop 50% over a 30 year retirement.

Please.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom