vanguard

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did any of you guys have a problem trading on the Vanguard site.
At 9:30 the site shut down and, also I couldn't get through to a broker. 1 hour wait.

Not happy!

I guess the funds are good but the brokerage, well.

Did any of you guys have a problem trading on the Vanguard site.
At 9:30 the site shut down and, also I couldn't get through to a broker. 1 hour wait.

Not happy!

I guess the funds are good but the brokerage, well.

maybe their trading desk is overloaded.........:eek:

Doesn't matter. Their costs are low.:D

Apparently their brokerage services are overloaded right now according to the message I got when I signed in to my account.

A message from Vanguard Brokerage Services®
Due to recent market volatility, we’re experiencing heavy call volumes. For account inquiries, you may contact us via e-mail. Important: Do not forward requests to place a transaction via e-mail. Note that previous day holdings displayed for brokerage accounts are as of September 17, 2009. Additionally, completed orders from September 18 are still being reflected on Order Status. To reach an associate via e-mail, click on Contact Us at the top of any vanguard.com page. We apologize for any inconvenience.

No problem trading Vanguard funds.

Fidelity wouldn't let me see my accounts for an hour or two this AM. They must have been swamped. I wasn't even trying to trade - just get a listing of my investments (the "portfolio" page).

It doesn't instill a lot of faith in me that they would always be available for trading, particularly during high volume periods.

Its a shame. He was trying to buy some of those spiffy American funds that lose money faster than an index fund.

Hey! At least the broker will answer the phone to tell you how far down you are.

So Art, what you're saying is that its good to have a non-vanguard broker who'll answer the phone to tell you how much your American funds have dropped?

I'm getting a little confused with the complexity of your arguments.

Having Art on IGNORE is a great thing, you guys should try it.

This is a great lesson on how to deal with panics ... do it ahead of time ^-^. More seriously, the 1987 drop should have taught me to have all my ducks in order to withstand any sort of violent downdrafts. Because they are going to happen from time to time, it's human nature. This is not to say that the OP and others did not have good reasons to do trading in recent days. To my embarassment I made a trade this week myself. It happened to work out after the one that did not the week before. Definitely just lucky for me.

You might want to check out Larry Swedroe's post at the Bogleheads site:
Bogleheads :: View topic - Investor wanted to sell yesterday

So Art, what you're saying is that its good to have a non-vanguard broker who'll answer the phone to tell you how much your American funds have dropped?

I'm getting a little confused with the complexity of your arguments.

I'd say having someone on the phone is better than getting no answer. You don't agree? Tell that to the guy who started the thread.

Having Art on IGNORE is a great thing, you guys should try it.

Yes, listen to this guy. I'd prefer not to be bothered by closed minded people. By all means, put me on ignore if you like.

every time i do only 10 trades or so a quarter with E-Trade it takes me like 5 minutes to talk to someone. the IVR systems are pretty smart these days

I guess the good question is if he has himself on ignore.

Otherwise, since he doesnt pay attention to who writes what, he might read one of his own posts and vigorously disagree with it.

Awwww, I've got a fan club! Thanks for following me around.

Back
Top Bottom