Post-election bitter medicine?

pedorrero

Recycles dryer sheets
Ever one to fan the flames of paranoia, I thought I'd toss this out for debate:

The events of the past several weeks have been "interesting" in the Chinese curse sense >:D and compounded with this being a major election year ... only 2/3 of the Senators exempt. In other words, about 500 major politicians have their asses in a sling and are in a tizzy about how to spin the various ecnomic ills. Of course, almost anything they do will be wrong, but, for argument, the question might be...

Regardless of who gets (re-) elected in just a month or so, what might the government to [-]screw things up worse than they already are,[/-] wait I mean:
remedy the increasingly worrisome situation? Or more pessimistically, what harsh measures might we see? Here's some ideas:

huge increase in short term interest rates (remember Volker?) Unlikely, sure, but what if the Fed is forced by outside events?

Housing prices continue to drop, already they are down like 30% from the peak, let's say they drop so they're 50% off the peak. We are talking major mortgage defaults, foreclosures, and compounding of the ills currently giving everybody the willies.

Oh, let's see, the stock and bond markets will drop another 40% or so....

Unhappy times!

There will be no election this year

Oh, and the Chinese are going to dump all of their dollars on the market and OPEC will switch exclusively to Euros.

Bush will declare Martial Law? When I saw him during his speech last weekend he didn't look like he wanted to be president anymore.

Or will there be a coup? Paulson will lead hordes of angry accountants armed with calculators and tax law volumes?

Bush will declare Martial Law? When I saw him during his speech last weekend he didn't look like he wanted to be president anymore.

Would you? the only person left who likes him is Laura......:p

this is payback from Bush, since everyone hates him he has decided to make it seem like he was never president

he's starting by dialing the stock market back to where it was January 2001

all you Bush haters are finally getting your wish

Back
Top Bottom