-40%!

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
I made it!

I'm now more than 40% off of my all-time high on October 31 of last year.

The problem with a 40% loss is that it takes a 66.67% gain to get back to flatline.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

It is painful.
Do you have the loss versus your basis calculated - it might help with the pain.

hey, it's better than being down 50%, where you investments have to go up 100% to "flatline"..........

I made it!

The problem with a 40% loss is that it takes a 66.67% gain to get back to flatline.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

welcome to the club...

Get ready for more. Talking heads are predicting a free-fall this morning potentially kicking in circuit breakers to close the market. If you don't have a cash bucket now is a time to do some serious cutbacks to hold back losses.

I am cringing!

The Dow futures (-550) are just plain ugly to wake up to and see before coffee this morning. It's my day off, too. :rant: It's about time that investors declare this the market bottom and insist on feeding a steady bull market for a few years. :bat:

for the moment

Plain and simple, this stinks. I am glad I am more conservative than most and have about a 10 year cash bucket.

It's not really different this time.......... is it?

And the best part is this is the 'Anniversary' of "Black Friday" 1929.:eek:

Never mind, it was a Thursday. My bad.

Three phrases - Black Thursday, Black Monday, and Black Tuesday - are used to describe this collapse of stock values. All three are appropriate, for the crash was not a one-day affair. The initial crash occurred on Black Thursday (October 24, 1929), but it was the catastrophic downturn of Black Monday and Tuesday (October 28 and 29, 1929) that precipitated widespread panic and the onset of unprecedented and long-lasting consequences for the United States. The collapse continued for a month.

Plain and simple, this stinks. I am glad I am more conservative than most and have about a 10 year cash bucket.

It's not really different this time.......... is it?
10 year cash bucket? Go back to sleep.

Nap time

Nap time is not until after lunch :D

Yes I have a very good cushion.....BUT in spite of that I am having what were once considered really stupid thoughts. Like 2008 having the potential to close with a greater loss on the DOW than 1929.

Food for thought, 1929 was just the start of some really bad times with the Dow closing 32% down from it's peak in the same year.

I am really hoping 2009 - 2011 is not 1930 - 1932 revisited. Sequels always stink.

I made it!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

how much time might it take to produce that 66.67% gain? because now yer gonna hafta compound inflation over those years to go from flatline to recovery.

this must be how if feels like when i lost all that money to real estate. (someone didn't think we were taking you down with us?)

Are you 40 percent off what you put into the market ? And Lazy, are you 40 percent off what you invested in real estate? Time to worry is here, but isn't it worse to lose what we've invested (by the way Ziggy OPEC called and wants all of your energy holdings :) )?

i'm probably down about 30%. no idea really. it's tough to judge a market when no one buys.

My trading account, which I riskily traded to equal my 401k in size, is down 80%. :eek:

My 401k is down 32%.

I'm buying today.

My trading account, which I riskily traded to equal my 401k in size, is down 80%. :eek:

My 401k is down 32%.

I'm buying today.

I have a few dollars remaining - I'm doing the same.

I stopped updating my portfolio in Sept; so I don't know how bad I am. I'm guessing my net (from 12/31) is down 20%.

Back
Top Bottom