Euphemism of the Day

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Losing a home to foreclosure can be plenty painful. But speaking to reporters before President Barack Obama's... speech Wednesday in Arizona, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan seemed to coin a new, softer phrase for the unpleasant process:
Transition out of homeownership.
POLITICO 44 | The next president. Minute by Minute

It's like when DH and about 1000 other employees were "transitioned" from MegaCorp to another company last year. Since then at least 50% have been "released" from their duties.

A spoonful of sugar.....

Donovan said Obama's plan create incentives for steps just short of foreclosure, such as "deed-in-lieu" transactions where the homeowner voluntarily turns the property over the lender.

Yes, it is hard to understand how this is not foreclosure. My landlord did a deed-in-lieu in January and the main difference is that my rent check now goes to the bank while the "landlord" continues to manage the property. The tenant union lists the building as foreclosed.

That's a great all-purpose term, MichaelB--thanks for passing it on. Let's see, she didn't die, she transitioned out of life; they didn't get divorced, they transitioned out of marriage; he didn't gain weight, he transitioned out of skinnyness.

Now if only these newly elected/appointed masters of euphemism and doublespeak would just transition out of government post-haste. My retirement could get back to the carefree days of yore.
coolsmiley.gif

A few euphemistic jewels...

Mr. Prince: We'll see you when you get back from image enhancement camp.
Martin Prince: Spare me your euphemisms! It's fat camp, for Daddy's chubby little secret!
("Kamp Krusty," The Simpsons, 1992)

Dr. House: Why does a dog lick its workplace-acceptable euphemism for testicles?
Dr. Wilson: Because he can.
("Meaning," House, M.D.)

"Whereas [Senator John McCain] had once decried the use of torture under any circumstances, he now voted against the same techniques of 'enhanced interrogation' that had been practiced against him in Vietnam."
(David Grann, "The Fall," The New Yorker, November 17, 2008)

Why don't we all notify the IRS on April 15 that we are transitioning out of being taxpayers?

20% pay cut for executives -- 20% of base pay which is 5% of his total pay. In really, it is a 1% pay cut, but the peons are taking 5% pay cuts. Well, the first chance I get, I'll bail at the most inconvenient of times just to screw them.

Those of your who follow financial news closely will know exactly which company I'm talking about.

"Those of your who follow financial news closely will know exactly which company I'm talking about."

Not anymore. Every day now there are wage crankdowns being announced in all sectors. I can think of a dozen in the last week. They no longer mention the increase in healthcare shifting. The news just hits the RIFS, rollbacks and loss of 401K matches.

That's a great all-purpose term, MichaelB--thanks for passing it on. Let's see, she didn't die, she transitioned out of life; they didn't get divorced, they transitioned out of marriage; he didn't gain weight, he transitioned out of skinnyness.
You got it!:D

It's like my portfolio - it's transitioning toward a state of greater upside growth potential.

I have successfully transitioned the project to the new manager. Translation: I have dumped a train wreck on the new unfortunate. Good luck with that.

The stimulus package is not SPENDING but INVESTING. Government is no longer spending money. It is investing in, health care, infrastructure, SF mice, etc. It seems like R's spend, and D's invest.

It seems like R's spend, and D's invest.
The more traditional explanation would be that there are "tax and spend" Democrats and "borrow and spend" Republicans. With "spend" being the common denominator.

At some point, it'll be hard to continue to spend if the debt gets too large and the economy remains in slow growth/no growth mode.

No, there are tax and invest democrats. It will be interesting if you even hear the word spend in tonight's speech.

armor99 post

You got it!:D

It's like my portfolio - it's transitioning toward a state of greater upside growth potential.

[MODERATOR EDIT] [Politicians have] been doing this sort of thing for years. Take something that you do not want people to understand, or attempt to make it mean something else by calling it something it is not. Just like the terms "comprehensive immigration reform" or "predatory lender". No one really knows what these terms actually mean either...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom