meat in fridge

tuixiu

Full time employment: Posting here.
The timeline...

Friday evening = took rack of baby back ribs out of freezer to defrost
Saturday evening = applied memphis style rub, wrapped in plastic, back in fridge
Sunday afternoon = slow cooked in oven 4 hours, finished on grill

Because of one thing or another I've still got one serving of ribs left and I won't be able to get to them until Thursday at lunch.

So I'm wondering if any of the wise people here have an opinion on whether bone-in pork that was fully defrosted on Saturday and cooked on Sunday will still be okay to eat on Thursday?

I'm thinking yes. Chicken maybe not, fish definitely not, but 4 days okay for large hoofed mammal flesh right? I will literally have tears streaming down my face as I drop them in the trash if I have to.

Thanks for kind advice.

Last edited:
No problem.

Almost as good as meat tenderized by putting it between the saddle and horse. Then ride for a few days.

Old Mongolian tradition.

If you're concerned, why not throw them in the freezer until then?

My opinion: if in doubt, throw it out. Next time, wrap and freeze the left over serving right away.

I'd eat it. Sunday's cooking killed whatever bacteria they had (assuming you cooked to the min 160 degrees F or whatever recommended for pork). 4 days sitting at near freezing temps in your fridge? Good to go.

Thanks comrades, that's how I was leaning.

I didn't freeze it immediately because had plans for consumption Sunday thru Tuesday, but things came up.

Will eat beloved pig flesh tomorrow for lunch, my greedy maw ripping greedily at the charred outer layer to sink into the tender white juicy morsels.

3 days is the standard, conservative estimate.
A fridge at or below 38 F, four days should be OK, too, especially if you reheat it until hot before eating.

Reheat, eat and enjoy.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Very true.

With all the stuff I've eaten, it should be of no surprise that I have Herculean strength.

Possible outcomes:
- Eat it and enjoy a nice meal and save $2 in meat. No problems.
- Eat it, have problems. Spend two days of your life sprinting from the bedroom to the bathroom, use free moments to pray for death to come.

I'm highly dependent on the dates printed on packaged food. My wife comes from a large family and "perfectly good" food was put back in the 'fridge for months at a time, so she and her siblings have a well-developed sense of smell for food that has gone "off"- it was a matter of survival.

I throw away anything about which I have the slightest doubt. Luckily, I also am perfectly happy eating the same food for days on end until it is gone, which helps minimize waste.

My wife comes from a large family and "perfectly good" food was put back in the 'fridge for months at a time, so she and her siblings have a well-developed sense of smell for food that has gone "off"- it was a matter of survival.
I thought the term was gone "over".

Absolutely eat it. Been there, done that.

Little bit interesting .... DW won't touch anything more than 3 days old. A week is nothing to me. Yet she's the one who is sick more often.

Something to be said for building a tolerance to bacteria IMHO.

Little bit interesting .... DW won't touch anything more than 3 days old.

I get really irritated while heating my lunch at work when someone says "Eeewww, didn't you eat that yesterday? How old is that food? I'd throw it away!" When the food is 2-3 days old. :rolleyes:

If it doesn't smell bad or look visibly bad, and it has been stored properly, it is probably safe. But when in doubt, throw it out.

I ignore expiration dates and storage guidelines. If it smells and looks OK, I can eat it. No problems since decades ago when my standards were lower - back then it just had to smell "not bad" instead of "good".

Little bit interesting .... DW won't touch anything more than 3 days old. A week is nothing to me. Yet she's the one who is sick more often.
It's hard to have a strict rule on a time because food are so different. 4 days okay I'll eat this swine but I probably wouldn't do that with something like shellfish.

The one thing I'm weird on is milk, for some reason since it has a date printed on it I have trouble drinking it after that date even if it passes the sniff test. In fact I suspect I'd drink milk at 11:30 pm that would expire the next day but would require great mental strength to do so a half hour later.

Let's take this thread to a different angle:

What's the most sick you've ever gotten from something you ate?

I don't think I have ever gotten sick from anything I ate at home.

I have had suspected food poisoning from restaurants a couple times.

It's hard to have a strict rule on a time because food are so different. 4 days okay I'll eat this swine but I probably wouldn't do that with something like shellfish.

The one thing I'm weird on is milk, for some reason since it has a date printed on it I have trouble drinking it after that date even if it passes the sniff test. In fact I suspect I'd drink milk at 11:30 pm that would expire the next day but would require great mental strength to do so a half hour later.

I don't remember ever getting sick from something I ate (other than the occasional indigestion after overindulging my fondness for fatty foods). I leave quite a few things in the fridge for 5-7 days after they have been properly cooked and as long as it smells fine and looks fine, I'll eat it. If a piece of bread has some mold on it, I just remove the moldy area and eat the rest. I also eat eggs when they are way past their expiration date too (cooked of course). If you have ever smelled rotten eggs, then you'll know immediately whether those eggs are still good or not. But, like you, I am extremely finicky about milk. I do not drink milk past the expiration date. The faintest sour smell or curd in old milk is enough to make me wanna puke.

Of all the weird places I've eaten, I only had one case of food poisoning ever. That would be a TacoBell outside of San Clemente CA. Was driving my motorhome when I stopped for a snack. About 2 Hrs later on the freeway to LA, had to pull over, hang out the side in the stairwell, donating one snack to the highway dept.. A highway patrol pulled up to check on the MH by the roadside, I had enough energy to say TacoBell, the cops laughed and said they'll be back to check in an hour.

Mercifully could wash up, clean up move out before the hour was up. Never been in a TacoBell since.:D

I think different people have different tolerances for food cooties. I am a little sick in the guts right now- I think from eating raw oysters downtown. When I used to have most of my oysters at home I usually broiled them, but since I have been eating them on the go a meal of cooked oysters costs 3-5 times as much as rawfers in an oyster bar. Also, I have become a little addicted to the raw ones- I love the smell, I love the way they feel when my tongue first touches the soft flesh.

But this tummy ache may stop that pleasure for me. At least until I forget it. I did get hep A shots.

I wish there were a shot to protect against the all the risks of every pleasure.

Ha

I've got two great episodes that stand out in my mind:

I once found some tuna sandwich mixture (tuna/mayo) in the fridge that I thought was the new batch I had made, but was in fact the batch from before that which had been pushed to the back to fester. I knew something was wrong about two hours later, was wishing for death later that day. That's sickest I've ever been in my life I was literally laying in bed doubled over with my toes curled in pain. I threw up until all that was coming out was a thin yellow liquid every time.

Second was some fish I had in Vietnam a couple years ago. I lived in Thailand for several years as a boy so am pretty hardy for SE Asian food bacteria but that knocked me down for about several days, too much detail alert = I was actually using the shower as a toilet with me in it because I was too weak to move back and forth from it. Terrible times that, and we flew on a plane from there (Danang) to Hanoi a couple days later what a miserable plane ride.

Argghhh. Now I just want some white bread.

Back in my mega corp days I was on a flight to CA ... dinner had a salad that looked a little "off"; but what else is there to eat? So I eat it. 20 minutes later I am in a cold sweat wondering if I can hold it down. I get up to hit the bathroom ... the LINE was half way down the plane! Sat in the seat - eyes closed - barf bag in hand for another 30 minutes. It passed.

That food sat in the sun on the tar-mat a little too long.

Back
Top Bottom