Thinking of getting a vacuum sealer - looking for advice

Haha...I bought an egg cooker too! Great invention!

Do you have an Insta-Pot? They make the best and easiest to peel hard boiled eggs I have ever done. Plus its a great kitchen tool... We have a 3 Qt one thats works for 2.

Years back I bought rice cooker for the same reason. No regrets on either, and they are used every week.

I make rice in the microwave. 2 or 3 minutes on high to heat it up, stir, then 20 minutes on 20% (or 30% if it's a large batch). It comes out perfect every time.

Do you have an Insta-Pot? They make the best and easiest to peel hard boiled eggs I have ever done. Plus its a great kitchen tool... We have a 3 Qt one thats works for 2.

+1 for Instant Pot

Edit: great for rice and yogurt as well

I bought the InstaPot when they were the rage. I have not been able to master it and I can trigger it to burn meat and get a warning code, etc. I just use our tried and true 8 quart crock pot for stew or chili.

Last edited:
Everybody: Thanks for all the tips so far. It looks like Food Saver is the brand to research today. And thanks for the tips on how to use the vac sealer for various foods. :cool:

I used to have a vacuum sealer about 35 years ago when I was single. They were pretty basic then and didn't have a suction to eliminate air. I mainly wanted it for things like soup, chili, spagetti sauce, etc. All liquid things that I would make in large quantities and freeze so I wouldn't be cooking all the time. It was difficult to get all the air out so I finally resorted to freezer bags. That way I could submerge the filled bags in a big bowl of water up to the top seal before I closed them. Worked fine.
Either way it was convenient to freeze them flat and then alternately arrange them like books on a shelf so I could just grab the one on the end for that nights dinner. I still do this with large pots of stew, chili, etc.

Cheers!

On the food saver, I'll be a contrarian.

I was a single parent for years with hungry kids. Bought a Food Saver-seldom used it. What I discovered is that I was not cooking in quantities to justify using it. Maybe I'd cook 2x what we ate on a given night, but then it would come out of the freezer within 1-2 weeks for a quick meal. For that short a time, I found Zip-Loc bags with all the air removed worked well enough. ...

That was my experience as well. We got one as a gift, and it does seem rather superfluous for things you are going to put in the freezer for a short time (weeks). And it's a bit more fuss, the bags aren't cheap, and ours broke down after a few years. Never bothered to replace it, never missed it. Zip-Locks are fine, and it's pretty easy to get most of the air out of most things you'd freeze (slowly dip the bag in a water-bath to push out the air if you really want to get the most air out).

I also found that if we didn't commit to using something in a few weeks, it got forgotten, and just took up space in the freezer.

They can certainly be a good investment for people who use them regularly for other uses where a zip-lock won't cut it. That's not us.

-ERD50

We are on our second one. Ours broke in the middle of 2020, only one I could find was the cheapest model, it doesn't work as well as the previous one we had (it had a "wet" and 'dry" setting, the moist one for juicier meats worked well) and it had a cutter on it.
I like it for bulk meats we buy at costco, but that is the only thing.
We find we don't use it as much as before, as I am not buying bulk as much.

Leftovers are usually eaten the next day. If not, then I freeze in storage containers with lids that stack well.

One of my best purchases last year is a chest freezer.

In that I have some preshaped hamburger patties which I bought (on sale for about $1 each), then vacuum sealed almost a year ago. I try to limit how much beef I eat to no more than once a month. I have enough burgers to last awhile, sealed, no freezer burn and looking like a genius now at $1 each.

A big use of a vacuum sealer along with leftovers is buying meats cheap then sealing and storing in bulk.

We buy chicken breasts in bulk and complete pork loins. We then package them separately and cut the loins into nice thick chops. Foodsaver is great for this.

We only have need for 8" rolls though and we also buy the non-branded ones.

Any recommendations on which one to buy?
FoodSaver is clearly the market share leader and a good entry point. Often the first thing you buy just teaches you what you really want. In my case it was a FoodSaver with marginal sealing capability due to a very narrow seal area that pushed me into a Weston Pro 1100, which is superior in every way. The BBQ fanatics do a lot of vacuum sealing and are generally neutral to down on FoodSaver. Go here and run some searches on sealers: https://www.bbq-brethren.com

As mentioned, chamber sealers are the best choice. I would love to have one, but we just don't have the space. So you will probably end up with an external bag sealer.
Features I should get?
There are times, maybe all the time, when you will want to be using bulk rolls for bags. A model that stores and cuts the roll material is A Really Good Thing.

Most models have a hose and jars that allows you to pull a vacuum and seal the jars. I have never used this ability so can't testify. It is argued as a good thing for marinades.
What about bags?
For external sealers, the bags have one side embossed to create air channels. The air gets sucked out via those channels. There are various designs; I usually shop based on price. FoodSaver bags are typically expensive but their web site is addicted to discounting. With a little patience I have gotten bags BOGO with free freight.
Pluses or minuses?
Like most things, you get what you pay for. Weston and LEM are the premium brands, with external sealers costing several hundred $$ and worth every penny IMO. One of my life rules is "Never buy cheap tools." I violated that with my FoodSaver purchase and paid the price. That said, for very occasional use and with tolerance for occasional weak and bad seals, the cheapies are probably an OK starting point.
What to watch out for?
Spare parts availability.

Any good/bad experiences with use?
Unless you freeze liquids, trying to package them is very dicey. At best you will leave some air in the bag because you shut it off before the liquid started to get sucked out and ruin the seal. At worst you will get liquid into the now-deceased vacuum pump.

One other thing: Vacuum sealers will protect your food for many months, even two or three years. For periods of weeks, plain ZipLoc bags will work fine. Put the food in the bag, then immerse the bag in water almost up to the seal. The water pressure will force most of the air out, so then zip the seal and you will be a happy guy. This is popular with the sous vide crowd, though I prefer to use the vacuum sealer as it gets more air out and the bag doesn't tend to float in the bath.

Good luck.

FoodSaver is clearly the market share leader and a good entry point. Often the first thing you buy just teaches you what you really want. In my case it was a FoodSaver with marginal sealing capability due to a very narrow seal area that pushed me into a Weston Pro 1100, which is superior in every way. The BBQ fanatics do a lot of vacuum sealing and are generally neutral to down on FoodSaver. Go here and run some searches on sealers: https://www.bbq-brethren.com

As mentioned, chamber sealers are the best choice. I would love to have one, but we just don't have the space. So you will probably end up with an external bag sealer.
There are times, maybe all the time, when you will want to be using bulk rolls for bags. A model that stores and cuts the roll material is A Really Good Thing.

Most models have a hose and jars that allows you to pull a vacuum and seal the jars. I have never used this ability so can't testify. It is argued as a good thing for marinades.
For external sealers, the bags have one side embossed to create air channels. The air gets sucked out via those channels. There are various designs; I usually shop based on price. FoodSaver bags are typically expensive but their web site is addicted to discounting. With a little patience I have gotten bags BOGO with free freight.
Like most things, you get what you pay for. Weston and LEM are the premium brands, with external sealers costing several hundred $$ and worth every penny IMO. One of my life rules is "Never buy cheap tools." I violated that with my FoodSaver purchase and paid the price. That said, for very occasional use and with tolerance for occasional weak and bad seals, the cheapies are probably an OK starting point.

Unless you freeze liquids, trying to package them is very dicey. At best you will leave some air in the bag because you shut it off before the liquid started to get sucked out and ruin the seal. At worst you will get liquid into the now-deceased vacuum pump.

One other thing: Vacuum sealers will protect your food for many months, even two or three years. For periods of weeks, plain ZipLoc bags will work fine. Put the food in the bag, then immerse the bag in water almost up to the seal. The water pressure will force most of the air out, so then zip the seal and you will be a happy guy. This is popular with the sous vide crowd, though I prefer to use the vacuum sealer as it gets more air out and the bag doesn't tend to float in the bath.

Good luck.

A nice description. Thanks.

I have both an old Foodsaver that I use for mason jar sealing and resealing bags like for chips.

I also have a small chamber. The chamber isn't that bulky. Only weighs in about 18 lbs and even with lid up fits under a kitchen cabinet. II attached a couple of pictures).

I had a bigger chamber (was considered small a few years ago) that was commercial, louder than heck and weighed about 60lbs. I gave this away to my sister and she's happy.

I agree that if going for an external and not a chamber, get a good model that won't break or get frustrating with bad seals.

Attachments

• chamber lid down.JPG
    chamber lid down.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 19
  • chamber lid up.JPG
    chamber lid up.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 111

Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed analysis! :)

The Food Saver machine we have has an option for moist foods like raw meat. When the “moist” option is selected, it vacuum seals the bag but takes more time to seal to account for liquid reaching the sealing side.

The food saver bags can get expensive, is the downside. But every now and then, the website has a sale. Currently, they are advertising buy 2 boxes, get 2 free, which is a pretty fair deal.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The Food Saver machine we have has an option for moist foods like raw meat. When the “moist” option is selected, it vacuum seals the bag but takes more time to seal to account for liquid reaching the sealing side.

The food saver bags can get expensive, is the downside. But every now and then, the website has a sale. Currently, they are advertising buy 2 boxes, get 2 free, which is a pretty fair deal.

We have never purchased Overpriced FoodSaver OEM sealer bags in 10 years, way cheaper aftermarket ones available and just as good.

I also have a small chamber. The chamber isn't that bulky. Only weighs in about 18 lbs and even with lid up fits under a kitchen cabinet.

I have the same chamber you pictured and like it a lot. In fact, it's what I use most.

Also have a Foodsaver-lookalike that works well for what it is.

Most of what I put in them is meat of one kind or another, and I find that things last in the freezer without harm for months.

The Food Saver machine we have has an option for moist foods ...
LEM also sells absorbent pads that you can put in the bags. https://www.lemproducts.com/product/absorbent-pads-for-vacuum-bags/ Like changing the cycle time, these are just a workaround for the basic problem with the system design --- the machine vacuum sucking liquids through the seal area and potentially into the pump. I use the pads with home-ground hamburger mostly and they help. But it is not particularly pleasant to deal with bloody-looking soaked paper when opening the bags to use the hamburger.

We have never purchased Overpriced FoodSaver OEM sealer bags in 10 years, way cheaper aftermarket ones available and just as good.

What I have found is that in some aftermarket brands, the channels collapse so you can't get many extra uses out of them. They just won't work. The official brand's channels are pretty sturdy.

That said, we buy aftermarket now that we found a good one. I can't remember what the brand was.

EDIT: found it. It is "Food VacBags" just like someone else referenced earlier in the thread. We buy the bags, not the rolls. Work well, great price.

Last edited:
I have the same chamber you pictured and like it a lot. In fact, it's what I use most.

Also have a Foodsaver-lookalike that works well for what it is.

Most of what I put in them is meat of one kind or another, and I find that things last in the freezer without harm for months.

Size wise, I kinda like the bigger brother of our chamber. But I measured and the lid when open is too big to fit under my kitchen cabinet. So, this one is the one :). This one almost makes a good seal all the time.

Avid Armor came out with a newer chamber sized between our one and the big brother. I prefer the one we have more as I prefer the analog gauge. The newer one is supposed to be more automatic but I prefer a bit of manual interaction.

Costco carries some generic vacuum bags that seem to work well with the FoodSaver. We generally buy bags at Costco or Walmart.

the basic problem with the system design --- the machine vacuum sucking liquids through the seal area and potentially into the pump.

I don’t worry too much about liquid entering the machine’s motor and damaging it—it has a liquid catchment basin that is easily removable and cleanable. I check it, but never find any liquid in it.

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 13
I used to have one, getting the bags was a PITA. For the small quantities we store, I just use a Ziploc freezer bag and a small straw.
This obviously will not work for large quantities of food you are freezing. YMMV

The liquid isn't so much about the motor, it's more about not getting an effective seal.

Back
Top Bottom