500 reasons why I love WALMART

[CAUTION: not safe for workplace viewing]

That is an understatement! While there is humor, there is sadness, mental illness, and a lack of moral respect. I rarely go to Wally World for personal standards of consumerism and personal safety. I can afford to pay a few pennies more to avoid some of the exploitation of workers around the world.

I can almost smell the three day old popcorn and hotdogs right about now. :sick:

Good deals on laundry detergent,tp and cleaning supplies. I love my Walmart. However, made the mistake of going at the 1st of the month. :whistle:

Think about how many of our most vulnerable Americans would be out of a job if all the Wal Marts closed. The employees are being paid at least minimum wage and they are working in a safe environment. Wal Mart provided a lot of jobs to people in the small community I just left.

Think about how many of our most vulnerable Americans would be out of a job if all the Wal Marts closed. The employees are being paid at least minimum wage and they are working in a safe environment. Wal Mart provided a lot of jobs to people in the small community I just left.

Yup there sure would be. The thing is, that not so long ago before there was a Wally World every couple of miles there were businesses. Remember real Mom & Pop businesses staffed with teens they taught 1st job skills to and retirees who wanted a part time job for some extra money? I enjoyed going to a local butcher, or Sue's bakery, or the real hardware store where the owner or his brother asked if they could help when I looked lost in the hardware aisle. The quality and service was worth the extra price. For me it still is. I use the clerk assisted check-out at the grocery store and hope it helps save a job. I avoid big-box retailers who want to dominate the entire planet and control the mfg as well. I have been in the rural small towns when WW moved in. Inside of 12 months 10 to 20 small shops had to fold. Hardware, pharmacy, camera, dimestore, optician, general merchandise a couple of hair salons as well as couple of party stores and 2 or 3 smaller grocery stores. Remember the neighborhood pet store that sold pet food and birds and fish? The owner was usually a couple who liked people and knew that a 10 year old childs few dollars for a bird or a fish was a big thing. And when a 16 year old boy wanted to buy a necklace for his girl at the neighborhood jewelry store they accepted $10 a week for a couple of months.

Of course, Wally World does have cheap toilet paper. Soft goods from 3rd world countries with less than slave wages and don't forget all of the wonderful ingredients from our Chinese food supply chain.

I can not always buy American anymore because we have decimated our Mfg for the cheapness. But, most of the time I can do my damndest to support small businesses. They may not be the best all the time but I have never heard of them telling their employees how to qualify for public assistance!

Last edited:

Yeah Wal Mart gets a bad rap. They are the biggest employer in the United States.

That is an understatement! While there is humor, there is sadness, mental illness, and a lack of moral respect. I rarely go to Wally World for personal standards of consumerism and personal safety. I can afford to pay a few pennies more to avoid some of the exploitation of workers around the world.

If you buy a name brand at Walmart and the same name brand at another stores, its made in the same place. Walmart is causal in all of this, but all the other major retailers have come along for the ride. For a few pennies more, hardly anyone is going to have products not from the third world these days. The same product made in the USA verses elsewhere typically has double digit markups.

Never heard of crime issues at Walmarts around here. I don't like shopping there not because of ethical issues with workers in Bangladesh but because I don't like shopping around people who are rude, can't speak English, parking lots jammed with uncollected carts, etc.

I buy my hardware at the local Ace. We bought the paint for our house at the Sherwin Williams store. Groceries at Aldi and Ingles. Tires at a local chain, etc.

What I get at Walmart is synthetic motor oil, I can't find anyone who beats their price on it, its the same product and the difference in price is significant enough to deal with walking into the shopping ghetto.

Just had a thought... it would be curious to see what percentage of people who say they don't shop at Walmart because it exports jobs... don't buy GM, Ford and Chrysler products. I'll duck now! lol

I almost never shop anywhere other than Wal-mart. I avoid it on the weekend or 5pm-9pm during the week but otherwise never have any problems.

If only I had invested back around '75.........

Attachments

• Wal-Mart.png
    Wal-Mart.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 2
Yup there sure would be. The thing is, that not so long ago before there was a Wally World every couple of miles there were businesses.

That's what I used to think. There was local hardware store where I bought most of my household hardware stuff. When I went there to buy a new mailbox they had almost what I wanted but not quite. A Home Depot had just opened nearby so I looked in there. They had the same mailbox for literally half the price.

So I had to ask myself "What am I getting for the extra money if I buy the mailbox from the local store?" Other than a warm fuzzy, I couldn't think of a thing. I bought the mailbox from Home Depot.

Man I love that website! I have spent an inordinate amount of time on there this past week. Awesome! I wish I had a camera phone. Did you see the one of the goat? Or the monkey? Freaks! I have to say I really like that they call them "walcreatures".
Yeah, I'm glad it is there and all--for the other people to shop there. I don't have any true philosophical differences with them, I just hate the GP (gen public) so much that I can't bear to go!
What a fabulous time waster! And don't forget AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com
The little boys one called Zipper is hilarious!

I can not always buy American anymore because we have decimated our Mfg for the cheapness. But, most of the time I can do my damndest to support small businesses. They may not be the best all the time but I have never heard of them telling their employees how to qualify for public assistance!

I also like to support the mom and pops but I can't blame Wal Mart for killing a bunch of them. We do it to ourselves with our choices as you mention above.

dh2b is the WM King. I avoid the place. :nonono:
As I have mentioned before, the behavior I have seen (opening and sniffing things and placing back on the shelf, sneezing and touching fruit, etc) from the clientele just grosses me out. :sick:
The employees do their best to keep the place looking good, but they are outnumbered.
I have the luxury of living in a small town with several small business within 5 miles. I do my darndest to support the local mom-n-pops and dollar type stores for small to medium purchases. I also get unbelievable customer service and a chance to shoot the breeze. Priceless. :D
I also buy a food unit once a month and bulk specials thru the community food bank I volunteer at. You can't beat 12 items for $15.50. I brought the list to WM one time and hit $15 way before I got to the 12 items.

That website is a modern American Gothic

I loathe the place but grudgingly give them what amounts to a dozen times a third world slave laborer's salary every week for all of our groceries, household items, toiletries, prescriptions, medicine, pet supplies, auto supplies, hardware, etc. It is so easy and convenient when lugging two young kids around to not have to shop at more than one store and still get 99% of what you need.

I feel good knowing that I am helping support a starving hard working citizen of some developing nation to feed their malnourished hungry kids. It allows them to avoid fates such as starving to death, farming a rice field for 14 hours a day, or starving to death. I'd rather they get paid to make cheap plastic crap in a factory versus pay some pompous self righteous full of themselves unionized laborer to manufacture the same plastic crap here in the US at 10 or 100x the price (and worse quality).

I see plenty of mom and pop's around our walmarts. Local family owned authentic ethnic restaurants, a family friends' vietnamese grocery store (they are really Laotian but don't tell anyone), local barbershop, etc. And for you folks that are too good to mix with the plebes at walmart, most of those folks are just scraping by and try to save every penny they can. Walmart has brought down prices to a level where more stuff is more affordable for everyone.

By the way, I think we should add "love/hate walmart" to the list consisting of "is 4% SWR accurate", "pay off mortgage early?", and "market time/passive portfolio or active/index funds". :D

Regarding the OP's pictures - I saw those the other day and it was good for a laugh. Luckily I only see a couple of those on our weekly walmart visits.

That DOES look like my Walmart! I never go after 6 pm as I don't feel like carrying the mace I feel I would need to protect myself. The place has nobody with a full set of teeth after 6 pm.......or else that's the time the trailer park beings it's people over to Walmart to shop. It's rough here..really rough.

And for you folks that are too good to mix with the plebes at walmart, most of those folks are just scraping by and try to save every penny they can.
By the way, I think we should add "love/hate walmart" to the list consisting of "is 4% SWR accurate", "pay off mortgage early?", and "market time/passive portfolio or active/index funds". :D

Yes, and yes.
I am definitely too good to mix with the GP at Walmart. :cool:
But now I have a reason to go--just in case I can see a good example of the none-too-rare femullet. :D

Back
Top Bottom