Walmart limit one Sodastream cartridge per day

Kids are doing "bammers" with these particular brand of cylinders. It's a variation of whippets driving some scarcity in a few areas. Sort of a new TikTok trend. Another reason to ban that app.

Had to look up both terms. Only found "whippets," which is recreational use of nitrous oxide.

What I don't understand is how CO2 can be used recreationally. I suppose you could make yourself groggy, or pass out. Doesn't sound like much fun. Maybe it makes for a good TikTok, watching someone get groggy or pass out.

Go in, buy one, leave.

Wait 5 minutes, go in, get one, go to a different register, buy it, leave.

This is not hard, folks.
It's what we did a few years ago when .22 caliber ammo was on allocation.
Although one time, a busybody clerk recognized us and said "You can't do that." So we went across the street to have lunch, and went back when she was on her lunch break.

i use sodasense.com. They send me two cylinders when I use them up I send them back and they replace them for me. Extremely easy great service and frankly seems to be very very cost-effective. I have a third cylinder that’s in my soda stream machine while the other two are in transit.

And they’re based in My Home state of Wisconsin :)

My experience breathing CO2 would suggest it's not something anyone would do on purpose.

CO2 is heavier than air, and so settles into an open top box, such as a keggerator. There was a CO2 leak one time and I leaned over to pull a hose from the bottom of the box, and it made me gasp very uncomfortably. Of course kids can be generally idiotic, eating a tablespoon of cinnamon or chewing ghost peppers and all that, so I wouldn't put some kind of CO2 challenge beyond that kind of thinking.

About 15 to 20 years ago at Megacorp, we sold our hydrogen plant CO2 vent to a carbonated bottler (not sure what the final carbonation product was). Of course, we took an environmental victory lap for our emission reduction in CO2. I have no idea if/how the downstream buyer removed the Sulfinol from the CO2 that was surely carrying over into their feed system.

About 25 years ago at the same plant, we made food grade wax from crude oil. I still hate it when it is obvious that my fruit and vegetables have wax on them and my wash solution does nothing to remove it.:(

Both processes were ultimately shut down for profitability reasons and not food safety.

Of course, we took an environmental victory lap for our emission reduction in CO2. I have no idea if/how the downstream buyer removed the Sulfinol from the CO2 that was surely carrying over into their feed system.
Love it. "Let's just move the CO2 to some one else and take credit for reducing emissions"

This was actually one of the last straws for me regarding Walmart. They wanted to charge me FULL price for an EXCHANGE. Customer service could not comprehend the concept of core charge and refunding that by turning in the bottle. The computer obviously had a glitch going on but neither the clerk nor the manager had the brain power to understand this core charge exchange concept. I no longer shop at walmart.

What you need are these, one per canister, in my case just one. This allows the sodastream canister to be refilled, because they are d**** and have a preventer built in on the factory canister to block refilling.

One of these to adapt the sodastream canister to a standard CO2 bottle.
*edit; that particular one is unavailable, but there are many others, that's merely the exact one I got.

After that you need to pick up a 20LB CO2 canister somewhere, ask around in restaurants or craigslist. You can buy them but you will very likely pick one up for free somewhere. Otherwise $150 generally.

Then you can exchange that 20LB CO2 canister for like $60 at airgas. That $60 purchase might last you a couple years.

Think of all the time you will no longer have to spend at the walmart customer service counter! That alone is worth it.

I finally did all the above on Oct 29, 2020, I haven't made it through my first 20LB bottle yet.

But you have to pay shipping if you go through SodaStream. You don't actually get refills. You turn in the cannister for SodaStream to refill, saving about $15 on the $30 new one. Wegman's has separated the process. You turn in the empties at customer service and they give you $15 cash each, then you go buy new ones. No limit that I know of.

Ok OP here. Walmart responded with a phone call the next day after my survey. Turns out the one bottle per day was instituted during covid as people were hoarding. They told me the one bottle limit was withdrawn two years ago but it was never communicated to the customer service people who manage the bottles.

I didn't know we had so many soda stream fans here. Thank you for the refilling information I will go that route. I also wanted to add I bought an aftermarket vacuum insulated metal bottle for my soda stream. The downside is you can't see the water level but it keeps my carbonated drink cold all day long.

Back
Top Bottom