40 years of Sesame Street

Count me among the Sesame Street fans.

In the mid 1980's, a movie came out called Big Bird in China, based on the Sesame Street character Big Bird, and we taped it. My daughter loved it so much that I suppose we then saw it 30 times that year. I even learned some fractured Chinese from it that I still remember, from a song in the movie: (pardon my attempts at an anglicized spelling of the Chinese words, as I heard them and thought they were)

How are you, Ni hao, ni hao that means hello,
And goodbye, Sai jen, sai jen I've got to go.
And if you want to say I love you, say Wa hai ni,
Ni means you and hai means love and Wa is the word for me..

In the daily show, I loved Bert and Ernie, Oscar the Grouch (who hasn't felt like him sometimes?), Cookie Monster, and many more. Even our macaw loved listening and would get really excited when he heard Spanish words, which I also remember. "Abierto", "Cerrado" (again pardon the spelling but I can still hear the door creaking open and slamming shut in my mind's eye after a quarter century). I loved the people on the show too, though I don't remember their names. Especially the tall bald guy.

Last edited:
I watch it with DD, now 3.5 years old. I think they made Oscar less grouchy and Ernie more brown. Oh, and the Count isn't as scary and doesn't have thunder and lightning sound effects.

How are you, Ni hao, ni hao that means hello,
And goodbye, Sai jen, sai jen I've got to go.
And if you want to say I love you, say Wa hai ni,
Ni means you and hai means love and Wa is the word for me.."
my son watched that same movie a few weeks ago, still good

No thunder and lightning for the Count any more? What is this world coming to? :D

I watched Sesame street with my children and now I'm watching it with my grandson and it's still entertaining .

Love it! It makes me teary to think of my son sitting in front of the TV slurping his Cheerios and absolutely awestruck by the program. He would point at the screen and yell "Sessie, Mommy. Sessie!" He wanted me to watch, too. This is when I took my shower as he was sure to be occupied for awhile.

A most funky Stevie Wonder live on Sesame Street. Great stuff!

Superstition

Happy B-day Oscar!

I've posted this link, before, apologies.

A most funky Stevie Wonder live on Sesame Street. Great stuff!

Happy B-day Oscar!

I've posted this link, before, apologies.
AMAZING! Wow. If you posted it before, somehow I missed it, so thanks. :D

I used to watch it every day with the 2 young kids I babysat across the street from my childhood home. We three sang along and had a ball.
Kermit was my main man! :D

Well, second of course to Bugs Bunny. ;)

I always liked Sesame Street.....and I was really too old to be in the intended audience. In '69 i was in jr. high!

Also, Bob McGrath is from here in my hometown! I knew him before he hit the 'big time'. And to commemorate him, we have a HUGE "Sesame Street" mural painted on the the side of the grade school that I attended. It cover the entire outside wall of the gymnasium.....about 60 or 70 feet wide and about 30 feet high.....it's awesome!

My favorite characters were Mr. Snuffleupagus....and of course, Big Bird!

Attachments

• sesame_street_thanksgiving.jpg
    sesame_street_thanksgiving.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
My kids grew up watching Sesame Street and we went to see the Sesame Street plays. I watch a little bit of it with my granddaughter. She is 16 months old and her parents don't want her watching very much tv.

Gordon totally does it for me. Has ever since I was 5. Can't explain why. Hubba hubba!

This is one show I sit down to watch with my kids. Could do without Elmo, can't get enough of the rest of it.

Could do without Elmo......
I have to agree with ya there!!! That has to be one of the most annoying voices! I rate Elmo right up there with those super-annoying Tele-Tubbies.....aaack! Back when I used to babysit a friend's grandson, he wanted to watch the Tele-Tubbies, and I couldn't handle it, so I did the 'bait & switch'....I'd get him to sit down on the couch...then I'd turn on 'Gargoyles' instead! He got addicted to them, and never wanted to watch those annoying, various-hued, TT imps!

One day we were all sitting around at gramma's, and she told him Tele-Tubbies were coming on. He said he didn't want to watch them. So she asked why, and he told her "Because the Gargoyles could 'whoop' their butts'! And, boy, did I get a dirty look from gramma!!! "hey wait a minute...what ya lookin' at me for?":D

The little guy learned his alphabet and numbers from watching Sesame Street, and was able to read very well before he started school. His kindergarten teacher would even let him read books to his class at story time. The kid still loves to read and he absolutely loves school, and he's never gotten anything less than a 'B'.....he's in 7th grade! Go Sesame Street!!!

Back
Top Bottom