rolled over IRA and 401K question

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have one roll-over IRA. (I rolled over the 401K I had with my former employer to the roll-over IRA). Someone told me I could roll that into the 401K I am enrolled in with my current employer.

Is that true?

Check your Summary Plan description and see if it is allowed by your plan. It is a permitted transaction under the IRC.

In general, most plans allow you to do that. However, I would roll it to a self-directed IRA. Why limit yourself to ONLY the plan choices in the new 401K??

In general, most plans allow you to do that. However, I would roll it to a self-directed IRA. Why limit yourself to ONLY the plan choices in the new 401K??

I've been gearing up for the Roth IRA conversion in 2011 and been putting in money in non-deductible IRAs for it the last couple of years. (I do not qualify for tax-deferred IRAs) I have one tax-deferred roll-over IRA and if there is a way to put this into my current 401K, all I have to do for the 2011 Roth IRA conversion is to pay practically no taxes (I have had only losses since 2008 in my non-ded IRAs, which may change by 2011 but probably not by much.), hence the question.

I will talk to the current, active 401K admin and see if I can move my roll-over tax-deferred IRA in there.

I've been gearing up for the Roth IRA conversion in 2011 and been putting in money in non-deductible IRAs for it the last couple of years. (I do not qualify for tax-deferred IRAs) I have one tax-deferred roll-over IRA and if there is a way to put this into my current 401K, all I have to do for the 2011 Roth IRA conversion is to pay practically no taxes (I have had only losses since 2008 in my non-ded IRAs, which may change by 2011 but probably not by much.), hence the question.

I will talk to the current, active 401K admin and see if I can move my roll-over tax-deferred IRA in there.

I'm in a sort of similar situation in that I retire early 2010 and would normally move my 401(k) into a rollover IRA but instead will leave it until 2011 so that I can convert my after tax IRA into a Roth IRA and minimize the tax hit that year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom