The antithesis of RE:

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Family hopes 21 hours in a combine will convince 82-year-old farmer to retire - The Globe and Mail

Fire crews needed an hour to free the octogenarian, using the jaws of life to pry apart his combine in the process. Mr. Como is recovering in hospital. The family hopes the widower will now agree, finally, to retire.

“All us farmers have been after him, you know, ‘Raymond, set it down,’ ” said cousin and neighbour Frank Comeau, 69. “But he said ‘if I don’t keeping farming, that’s all I’ve got left. Drinking my coffee, and farming.’”​

"The family hopes the widower will now agree, finally, to retire."
Ya think? :LOL:

Let's revisit the voting after they've had a few months with a hypercaffeinated, pissed-off octogenarian who's trying to figure out what to DO all day.

Heyyyy... mods, are you able to sort the new members by age?

DW's grandpa got dragged around by a cow for 5 hours before someone rescued him. He was in his early 80s! He had some hip and leg issues after that but continued working on his small farm till he was almost 90. Once when we were visiting, I offered to mow his front lawn which he let me do ... once he started the lawn mower! The main thing he wanted me to do was to cut down some high branches on a tree so that he could see his cattle from his house.

He's in his mid 90s now and has really slowed down, but what an amazing man. I hope to be that physically fit when I'm his age.

This brings back memories of going around to some of the old, old farmers in our area with my Dad, buying hay or old tools or equipment or (I suspect mostly) because my Dad just liked shooting the breeze with these colorful old codgers. So I recall one old guy spitting and saying, "Huh, why would anyone want to retire? Retire one day, you die the next from nothing to do.".

I guess that advice didn't 'stick' with me ;).

-ERD50

Here's another guy that didn't want to stop working.

Tokyo's 'oldest man' dead for 30 years - Telegraph
His granddaughter told investigators Kato holed up in his room about 30 years ago after declaring he wanted to be a living Buddha, police and Tokyo officials said. They believe Kato died soon after that.

My neighbor is a Swede from a farm near some small town in Minnesota. Lots of his relatives live to farm and work the farms until they die. His grandfather drove a backhoe over to a neighbors to help with some project when he was 95. Those are some great genes.

Back
Top Bottom