Recommendation for Nikon DSL

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK... the wife wants a nice DSL camera... and since I have an old film Nikon I have a few nice lenses already in hand...

So, any recommendations on a nice one that does not break the bank:confused:

I have just started to look, and like the D60 or the D5000...

From what I read on one post... these models do not do the AF on the old lenses... you have to do manually... if this is true... not a good deal...

I bought a D90 about a year ago and I love it. The D5000 finished second in my selection process only because the D90 had a few better features that I was willing to pay for. Both can produce outstanding results.

But you have to decide what features you want and how much you want to spend. There are few if any bad choices among Nikon (or Canon for that matter) DSL's IMO.

I'd recommend B&H as one of the best places to buy at good prices online. You can find lower prices, but there are a startling number of camera scammer merchants on the internet so don't be fooled. If it looks too good to be true...

TP, Consumer Reports just did a review of digital cameras and of the 12 SLR "advanced" cameras they reviewed, the Nikon D5000 was rated a "Best Buy" (along with three others). They also reviewed the D3000, which finished last.

Here's another vote for the D90. I bought mine about 8 months ago, and I can't get over how much more user-friendly it is than previous Nikons I've owned (my original Nikon F (film) and 3 or 4 digitals).

The D90 is really right square in the middle. It's intuitive and easy to use for the casual user, yet it has most of the bells and whistles a pro would want.

One suggestion: if you're going to spend the money for a good camera, go for good lenses. I've been ecstatically happy with mine, and I strongly encourage the use of Nikon's VR (vibration reduction) lenses that compensate for hand tremors while shooting.

Well.... doing a bit more research and it appears the lower priced models do not work with the old AF lenses... they use AF-S lenses...

It looks like the D-90 is the lowest that will auto focus with the plain AF lenses... so, unless I want to buy more lenses... I spend the money on the D-90... still trying to decide... will take a few months :greetings10:

TP, Consumer Reports just did a review of digital cameras and of the 12 SLR "advanced" cameras they reviewed, the Nikon D5000 was rated a "Best Buy" (along with three others). They also reviewed the D3000, which finished last.

Thanks... I saw a 'cheap' D3000 and was going to do some reading... now saved me the trouble... I do like the D5000, but would have manual focus on my older lenses... not the worst thing in the world... but....

Martha....

Thanks... I am looking at a refurb... and I have bought from adorma a long time ago...

Midpack...

I have also bought from B&H... in fact, I went to their store when I lived in NY for a year... lots of interesting stuff...

I use a canon, so cannot comment on your choice of Nikon.

However, some these digital SLRs are bigger than the old film SLRs. Make sure DW goes to a store and holds the cameras before you decide to buy.

I second DPReview as a good site for reviews.

Well.... doing a bit more research and it appears the lower priced models do not work with the old AF lenses... they use AF-S lenses...:greetings10:
When you say "old AF lenes" are you saying the old F90 AF lenses don't work on the lower priced models but will work on the D90 model? I have the old F90 Nikon and it was/is an amazing camera. Don't know much about the D90.

When you say "old AF lenes" are you saying the old F90 AF lenses don't work on the lower priced models but will work on the D90 model? I have the old F90 Nikon and it was/is an amazing camera. Don't know much about the D90.

I have an old 6006 (I think that is the number).... the lenses are coded AF...

If you know about the lenses for auto focus... there is a motor in the body that turns a screw in the lens to focus....

In the cheaper digitals.... the lens is an AF-S... from what I read they now have the motor in the lens itself... so they only need contacts with the camera... so the cheap ones do not have a motor to focus... so, no motor in the lens, no motor in the body... no auto focus...

From what I assume... the D90 has both... so it can use the old AF lens and the new AF-S lens...

I suggest B&H for an online retailer. Adorama second and amazon third (amazon only). I would not veer from these people. B&H is my benchmark for price on new stuff (they carry used as well).

For used, I suggest KEH. They represent top dollar for used equipment (meaning, I would expect to pay slightly less than what KEH advertises for the condition) and when they say excellent, they mean it. I bought an entire medium format system from KEH and it was flawless (all rated excellent or below). I was very happy. That means, for a D90, I wouldn't pay more than about $650 for a minty body.

I've had some success with craigslist, but you need to know what you are doing. We buy the same camera body for our business, so I know what typically is wrong with them or can go wrong. I also frequent a photography forum, so I will keep my eye out for a D90 for a local transaction (Houston?), if you're interested in going that route.

i believe a d50 and d70 should AF your old lenses (double check that, I'm a canon guy). in case you are open to buying used and minimizing costs. I will only buy new camera equipment if in a time pinch. good luck.

OK... my normal time frame for me to decide to spend money was compressed since my wife insisted we get this before our upcoming trip...

We decided to go to Ritz to take a look at the cameras...

They had the 3000 on sale... and the new 3100.. the 5000 did not seem to be 'worth it' when compared to the D90...

Soo... the D90... it is a little bit smaller than my current one, but a few ounces heavier... the picts we took seemed to come out well.. it has a LOT of things to learn... but since my current lenses work with it the wife thought it was worth the extra money for the body...

So, we ordered a refurb from B&H at about $720... that is $130 less than new... thanks for all the info...

I suggest B&H for an online retailer. Adorama second and amazon third (amazon only). I would not veer from these people. B&H is my benchmark for price on new stuff (they carry used as well).

For used, I suggest KEH. They represent top dollar for used equipment (meaning, I would expect to pay slightly less than what KEH advertises for the condition) and when they say excellent, they mean it. I bought an entire medium format system from KEH and it was flawless (all rated excellent or below). I was very happy. That means, for a D90, I wouldn't pay more than about $650 for a minty body.

I've had some success with craigslist, but you need to know what you are doing. We buy the same camera body for our business, so I know what typically is wrong with them or can go wrong. I also frequent a photography forum, so I will keep my eye out for a D90 for a local transaction (Houston?), if you're interested in going that route.

i believe a d50 and d70 should AF your old lenses (double check that, I'm a canon guy). in case you are open to buying used and minimizing costs. I will only buy new camera equipment if in a time pinch. good luck.

Thanks for the link... I did not go with KEH because I could not see if we got all the stuff... maybe I will get something else there...

From what I read.... I would not buy from Amazon as one of the online dealers said they were not an 'official dealer' and Nikon would not honor the warranty.... don't know if this is true or not... but there price was not better anyhow....

Nikon's web site lists Amazon as an authorized dealer for the D90:
Where To Buy

Good update.... maybe they meant then non Amazon people on Amazon... rono said Amazon (Amazon only)... so that is probably what he meant...

the best without going full frame is the d7000 now with the d5000 following close 2nd. how much you need to spend depends on how much low light or action shots you take. even the d3100 is fine for general photography.

most of the photos we post here and sell on our website are done with the d80 by marilyn and the d300 by myself.

the older lenses wont autofocus as the lower end nikons no longer have the motor in the camera ,its built into the lenses now

i sent you a d/m with the link

OK... my normal time frame for me to decide to spend money was compressed since my wife insisted we get this before our upcoming trip...

We decided to go to Ritz to take a look at the cameras...

They had the 3000 on sale... and the new 3100.. the 5000 did not seem to be 'worth it' when compared to the D90...

Soo... the D90... it is a little bit smaller than my current one, but a few ounces heavier... the picts we took seemed to come out well.. it has a LOT of things to learn... but since my current lenses work with it the wife thought it was worth the extra money for the body...

So, we ordered a refurb from B&H at about $720... that is $130 less than new... thanks for all the info...

the d90 is very very good. there is nothing you cant accomplish with it. i have plans to go full frame with a d700 but marilyn loves her d80. i sold off all my pro zooms and went nikon prime lenses. the size ,weight and low light ability are worth taking those extra couple of steps from not having a zoom.

Ken Rockwell likes the D5000: Nikon D5000

But I understand not wanting the manual focus on the old lenses. How about a reconditioned camera? I got a refurbished Nikon through Adorama. Here is a reconditioned by Nikon d90 camera body: 25446B Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

wow martha i thought i was the only one who would admit to reading kens stuff. he is ridiculed and laughed at on most photography sites . but ill admit it, marilyn and i learned more from his photography articles then anywhere else over the years... i would have to say he has been the biggest influence over our photography.

if anyone would like to see our galleries ill be more then happy to send you a link .just d/m me. you can see alot of kens influence on us.

there is so much of kens influence on our work,heres a few samples of what we do

1102046764_Hgae6-L.jpg

1102039383_uJuy4-L.jpg

1102037252_NbWMS-L.jpg

1102033210_wxpFH-L.jpg

1102038942_3vQvX-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom