Class of 2013

martyb

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, who's retiring in '13 besides me? I'll be punching out 01/18/2013 (my 55th birthday). :D

I am too. I'll be 55 before that (tomorrow, in fact). I'm planning to retire four months after my birthday because I'll be eligible for SS full retirement benefits at age 66+4 months. I'm already working on reducing the amount of stuff I have so it will fit into my new place, which will be much smaller.

Go Thirteeners!

I plan on March 2013, I too am looking at all the stuff I have and wondering what I need to keep and what to get rid of. I would like to get rid of it all and just keep a few personal items. Move to smaller place and stop getting more stuff.

I haven't really established a budget, but I'm currently trying to track monthly expenditures. When I retire, my take-home income will be slightly more than when working. Wife will keep working for 3 more years after I retire, then call it quits at 55. That will allow access to her 401k account without tax penalty. We'll need to pull maybe $500 per month from that for about 2 yrs until I reach age 60, when my military pension kicks in. She'll have some SS which we'll tap at her age of 62. My SS will only be about $300 a month, so I'm not making big plans for that money. Maybe beer $$!

the plan is to retire on 5/31/2013 at age of fifty

The end of 2013 is a good possibility for me. I would like to have a clearer picture of the health insurance situation before I pull the plug. Although I will qualify for retiree benefits at Mega corp I have some doubts that the program will exist until Medicare kicks in.

DW plans on retiring from her full-time job around 3/31/2013. But she is not sold on full-time retirement yet.

She took a month off work during the holidays and by the end of week 3, she was bored our of her mind and itching to go back to work.

So she might continue working part time for a while to ease the transition to full-time retirement.

DW plans on retiring from her full-time job around 3/31/2013. But she is not sold on full-time retirement yet.

She took a month off work during the holidays and by the end of week 3, she was bored our of her mind and itching to go back to work.

So she might continue working part time for a while to ease the transition to full-time retirement.

I think it's probably going to be a similar situation for my wife...or at least if would if she were retiring anytime soon. She actually has about 5 yrs to go, so by the time she's eligible to check out, she might feel differently.

As for me, I'm ready right now, but have to wait till 1/18/13 in order to get my pension. Won't be any "itching" on my part...lol!

My plan was ESR in 2012, but if I take a sabbatical to do the Master's which I'm planning, that'll be pushed back a year.

If I cannot hook on with another tech company, at a minimum, I will be ESR 1/1/13...here's to hoping I can't find a slot in tech..... :)

If I cannot hook on with another tech company, at a minimum, I will be ESR 1/1/13...here's to hoping I can't find a slot in tech..... :)

In that case, I hope it works (or doesn't work) out for you! lol

Nice! I could conceivably go out a little early, but I don't want the hit on my penson, plus it would complicate my plans for my TSP/401k money. So...gotta stick it out another 23 months.:(

Not really worried about TSP/401k money; I retired from Active USAF in '96 wife will retire FERS/ANG in 2-3 years (she hasn't decided) and with SS and pensions for both of us we never touch TSP/401k moneies; we intend on just using post tax accounts to live on. Downsize house to someplace we could rent and not have to worry about the maintenance. Do a bunch of traveling and maybe stay awhile in Europe if we like it.

Nice! I could conceivably go out a little early, but I don't want the hit on my penson, plus it would complicate my plans for my TSP/401k money. So...gotta stick it out another 23 months.:(

I was in a similar situation, I needed to hang on until age 55 to qualify for retiree health insurance otherwise I'd have been out at 53.

In my case the 18 months after age 53 were such a drag, but once I got within 6 months things got easier and easier as the finish line was well in sight.

Not really worried about TSP/401k money; I retired from Active USAF in '96 wife will retire FERS/ANG in 2-3 years (she hasn't decided) and with SS and pensions for both of us we never touch TSP/401k moneies; we intend on just using post tax accounts to live on. Downsize house to someplace we could rent and not have to worry about the maintenance. Do a bunch of traveling and maybe stay awhile in Europe if we like it.

When I do retire, it will be under CSRS, and then at 60 I'll start getting my Air Force Reserve retirement pay, then at 62 a small SS check. Wife will keep working her private sector job until shortly before the military pay kicks in, so she can keep stuffing money into her 401k. My TSP is going to go for paying cash for our retirement home. If I didn't have the CSRS defined benefit pension, and later the military pension, I'd most likely feel more like I needed to hang on to the TSP money. But, since I'm CSRS and only started maxing it out a few years ago, there's going to be enough to buy our home but really not much more than that. Everybody's got thier own ideas about the importance of having a paid off mortgage, and to us, it's high on the list. The wife's 401k & our Roth IRA's will stay put, though. We'll continue to fund both until she retires. Wife will also qualify for SS at age 62.

I was in a similar situation, I needed to hang on until age 55 to qualify for retiree health insurance otherwise I'd have been out at 53.

In my case the 18 months after age 53 were such a drag, but once I got within 6 months things got easier and easier as the finish line was well in sight.

Fortunately, even if I did take an early retirement, I'd be able to keep my employer-subsidized health care benefits. Retiring early would only be possible if my employer, the US Govt. offeres it. They offered this past Sept. & I declined. I'm fairly confident the offer will come up again sometime this year, or next year. No insider info, just a hunch. :cool:

Fortunately, even if I did take an early retirement, I'd be able to keep my employer-subsidized health care benefits. Retiring early would only be possible if my employer, the US Govt. offeres it. They offered this past Sept. & I declined. I'm fairly confident the offer will come up again sometime this year, or next year. No insider info, just a hunch. :cool:

Keep us posted, we're all rooting for you back here on the bleaches.

Back
Top Bottom