Question for the Docs: some random speculation

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Venezuelan [-]dictator[/-] [-]thug[/-] President Chavez has been in Cuba for 2 weeks receiving medical treatment. The attributed cause is "Pelvic Abscess". There is total silence in Cuba on this. His absence is very uncharacteristic and is raising all kinds of speculation.

Perhaps one of the medical professionals here could shed some light on what a pelvic abscess is and also speculate on the kind of complication he might be dealing with (assuming they are telling the truth).

His twitter account sent a message this morning so he is probably alive. Today is a national holiday celebrating an important battle (Batalla de Carabobo) and no words from him to the Military are like throwing jet fuel on the fire.

See here for limited background Where is Hugo Chavez? - CSMonitor.com

I saw this in the WSJ and wondered as well. Very interesting to me that he'd go to Cuba instead of being treated in Venezuela, I thought.

No medical training here, but I've seen published comments that indicate a "pelvic abscess" is more likely a symptom in reaction to another condition, rather than being an actual diagnosis per se.

Cuba has been providing medical personnel to other Latin American countries for decades, including Venezuela, so that part is understandable.

Odd term to use in a male, pelvic abscess, but one possibility is a diverticulum that perforated and created an abscess in the lower abdomen (pelvis). This is treated with surgery and antibiotics.

More likely, it's an evasive term and they are not being "forthright."

No medical training here, but I've seen published comments that indicate a "pelvic abscess" is more likely a symptom in reaction to another condition, rather than being an actual diagnosis per se.

Cuba has been providing medical personnel to other Latin American countries for decades, including Venezuela, so that part is understandable.

Yeah, I know Cuba's docs are good, but I guess if I was a powerful dictator, I'd have the docs come to me, rather than leave my somewhat unstable dictatorship to go there.

I mean, I can't see an American president leaving this country to get treatment in Europe or something.

Odd term to use in a male, pelvic abscess, but one possibility is a diverticulum that perforated and created an abscess in the lower abdomen (pelvis). This is treated with surgery and antibiotics.

Actually, some have wondered about his manliness.

Thanks for the clarification, Rich, and agree with you regarding their evasiveness. In effect, those in the know aren't talking.

As to Cuba, no doubt. Medical care in Venezuela is superior (Castro was there for heart surgery) but only in the private sector and decreasingly so. There has been a great deal of hostility by the Chavez gov't and supporters toward Doctors and clinics (part of the squalid oligarchy)

Medical attention is much better in Brazil. I guess this lays to rest to whole "Brazil and Venezuela are best buds" theory. Cuba is the only place Chavez can look to for help, because it's the only place that has a vested interest in keeping him alive and governing. Everyone else in the west wants him out of the way.

It is probably difficult to ever get any true medical info about these 3rd world leaders. How many times was Kim Jong and Castro himself rumored to already be dead from their illnesses and they are both still alive.

I agree. Or maybe the confusion comes from a bad translation of "hernia del piso pelvico" (= inguinal hernia ?).

I agree. Or maybe the confusion comes from a bad translation of "hernia del piso pelvico" (= inguinal hernia ?).
It's not the translation. Here's an example I took from El Pais (Spain)

la noticia de que el presidente venezolano fue operado en La Habana el viernes debido a "un absceso pélvico" -sin más especificaciones- fue una absoluta sorpresa.
I suspect you and Rich got it immediately - just your basic obfuscation.

I think "pelvic abscess" is a very advanced pole dancing move.

We will know in a couple of weeks. One big downside of autocratic gov't is the power vacuum creates lots of opportunities. Venezuela has no shortage of ambitious aspiring replacement candidates. If he does not return soon he will be pushed aside.

Lots of speculation he is being treated for prostate cancer.

I'm not a doctor, but I think I had something similar to a pelvic abscess. I had a ruptured appendix that became infected and developed a phlegmon. (according to the web, an abscess can be drained and a phlegmon cannot.) I took antibiotics for several weeks until the mass diminished and I began to feel better. Then I had a laproscopic appendectomy.

So maybe Hugo is going through something similar.

I'm not a doctor, but I think I had something similar to a pelvic abscess. I had a ruptured appendix that became infected and developed a phlegmon. (according to the web, an abscess can be drained and a phlegmon cannot.) I took antibiotics for several weeks until the mass diminished and I began to feel better. Then I had a laproscopic appendectomy.

So maybe Hugo is going through something similar.

I'm glad you made it through that awful experience. Sounds scary.

That or complications from a prostate procedure.

DD

Yeah, I know Cuba's docs are good, but I guess if I was a powerful dictator, I'd have the docs come to me, rather than leave my somewhat unstable dictatorship to go there.

I mean, I can't see an American president leaving this country to get treatment in Europe or something.

It's amazing to me how bias people can be relying solely on the depiction of Chavez in the American media. BTW, he was democratically elected and is a hero to the vast majority of Latin Americans. People feel so comfortable referring to Chavez as a dictator and thug and completely ignore the fact that the rest of the world considered George Bush exactly that.

It's amazing to me how bias people can be relying solely on the depiction of Chavez in the American media. BTW, he was democratically elected and is a hero to the vast majority of Latin Americans. People feel so comfortable referring to Chavez as a dictator and thug and completely ignore the fact that the rest of the world considered George Bush exactly that.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter - but a nutjob is a nutjob...

Just so we’re clear on my description of Chavez as a thug and dictator, I’m being polite. My wife and children are Venezuelan, I lived there for 25 years and living there was our “plan A” for retirement. We still have lots of family there. Most of my friends are Venezuelan. I had a privileged position with an important company and through it came to know many Venezuelan politicians and much of the business elite. Not Chavez, but some of his occasional inner circle. I speak from personal knowledge and experience.

Most of my working age extended family members are unable to get gainful employment because of their inability to keep their political views to themselves. That includes 2 medical doctors badly needed in Venezuela and people that are both intelligent and capable. Their lives and their families are badly affected, as is their ability to contribute to their country and fellow citizens. The same for friends, although many have left Venezuela and contribute to the prosperity of other countries.

I lived among and dealt with Venezuelan corruption my entire adult life. Most of the problems the country faces are self-inflicted. The difference that characterizes the current ruling elite is the extent of the disrespect they have for human life, the rule of law and basic morality.

By the way, I don’t get any info (about Venezuela) from US media but I do provide to them and correct them frequently when I read news that is “poorly informed”. Some of that feedback has been reflected in subsequent reporting. I can also absolutely assure you that “vast majority of Latin Americans” think he is a clown or an idiot, and they put up with him because he has lots of oil and gives it to people that flatter him. I am also happy to engage further on this subject, but on the politics section of this forum.

Finally, don't pick on Sarah for something I said.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter - but a nutjob is a nutjob...
I'm losing track here since you brought up the names of other politicians... are we still talking about Chavez?

Michael, thank you for your knowledgeable post. I recall a person who showed up at a party at our house spouting off about past Chilean politics in front of a good friend of mine who is from Chile and actually lived there during the time in question. It really frosted his cake to hear her "interpretation" of the experiences of his family and the loss of their livelihood to the people with whom she sympathized.

However, to Nords' point, we watched one of your movie recommendations last night, the Motorcycle Diaries. I'm going to say out front that we live under a rock, as far as movies are concerned, so we'd not even heard of it before now. And even worse, we didn't even realize that it was based on Che Guevera's book of the same name. However, our ignorance made the movie even better, because we didn't know until the end the name of the young man on the motorcycle.

Much of our morning coffee time today was spent musing on how we as Americans interpret people like Guevera. I never gave him much thought except that he was a comrade of Castro. Seeing the desperate poverty and disenfranchisement that he witnessed now gives me a more nuanced view of his war on capitalism in S.A. I want to thank you for the enlightenment, both on Venezuala and indirectly, on Guevera, Michael.

I'm very glad that we'll be traveling along some of the same roads, albeit in a slightly better ride than that old Norton, when we go to Peru at the end of the year. Thinking of your comments and that movie brought to mind the old Mark Twain quote:

..nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.

Thanks again--nice start to my Monday morning to read your informed postings and your kindness to "stick up for me".

Back
Top Bottom