home made murphy beds

wallygator69

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi Kids,

I think someone who needs more space might be interested in these....

We have a small room (12x12) that was not very functional. With two twin beds and a desk in it. We use the beds two to 3 times a year. We looked at Murphy beds for $1000's... Came across Lori Wall Beds and bought the plans. Sold the twin bed frames for $250 and made the beds for about $300.

They aren't going to win a prize from Better Homes and Gardens but I like em....

beds.jpg

loriwall.jpg

See ya,

W

Maybe it's just the kid in me, but I think it's really cool the way the chair between the two beds turns into a HDTV when the beds are folded up. How the heck do you DO that? :LOL:

I was looking at some plans for Murphy beds. They're pretty easy to make, it looks like. But instead we just bought two Aerobeds and a couple of pieces of memory foam. Takes up about 2 cu ft of closet space, and they're really comfortable. I take one with me for camping trips. No more achy back from sleeping on rocky ground on a thin pad. Not much use for backpacking, though.

Hi Kids,

I think someone who needs more space might be interested in these....

We have a small room (12x12) that was not very functional. With two twin beds and a desk in it. We use the beds two to 3 times a year. We looked at Murphy beds for $1000's... Came across Lori Wall Beds and bought the plans. Sold the twin bed frames for $250 and made the beds for about $300.

They aren't going to win a prize from Better Homes and Gardens but I like em....

View attachment 12757

View attachment 12758

See ya,

W
Pretty cool, but I'd guess you would not want to display the good china on the shelves, unless of course you have a good supply of velcro.

Maybe 10 years ago, we had a local craftsman build us a Murphy bed from plans and we bought the hardware (gas-filled cylinders, hinges, etc.) and plans on-line and the mahogany veneer plywood locally. We saved a lot of money this way.

It worked great! Our son to this day sleeps in the Murph every night. When we moved, the new owners wanted to buy it.

It is heavy. It takes some skill to build and some muscle to take apart and put together.

Even so, we would do it again.

Right now I have an extra queen sized bed, but if I didn't have room for it then I'd probably get a couple of blow-up beds and a pump. The high ones are reasonably comfortable IMO, especially for just a few days.

However, grandchildren could change that strategy. The Murphy beds would probably work better for kids, who might jump on the bed or puncture a blow-up bed.

Those are awesome, Wallygator!

We slept on a very nice murphy bed in a friend's townhouse--the outside was like fine cabinetry, bed was quite comfortable. Murphy beds are just fun:

The Murphy Bed - YouTube

I have been trying to convince my wife that we don't need a guest bedroom made up all the time. This might just do the trick!

I would mount a chalkboard/whiteboard to the under carriage.

Good job!

Drew

Nice project! I have thought about a murphy bed for a guest bed, but thought the price to purchase was pretty high and didn't know there were plans out there to make them. Not sure I'd want to tackle the project myself though.

Right now I have an extra queen sized bed, but if I didn't have room for it then I'd probably get a couple of blow-up beds and a pump. The high ones are reasonably comfortable IMO, especially for just a few days.

However, grandchildren could change that strategy. The Murphy beds would probably work better for kids, who might jump on the bed or puncture a blow-up bed.

We went with a blow-up bed down south before we had any furniture - worked ok except our cat went bonkers when I made the mistake of adding a bit of air from the on-board pump in the middle of the night. She launched about five feet straight up leaving four sets of little pointy puncture holes two on me and two on the bed.

Nice project! I have thought about a murphy bed for a guest bed, but thought the price to purchase was pretty high and didn't know there were plans out there to make them. Not sure I'd want to tackle the project myself though.

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments.

Plans can be purchased here.

Horizontal Murphy Bed - DIY Murphy Bed - Murphy Bed Kits

It took me about 15 hours from start to finish. I am pretty handy though.

See ya,

Wally

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom