what online software is the best for more than basic

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was wondering which online software that any of you might be using that can handle schedule c, schedule se, 1099, and depreciation? which ones do you use/recommend? I was looking for free efile that could handle these forms. are there any available?

I use TurboTax, which does support those forms. While I'm not sure, I suspect that for the schedules that you have you would probably need to buy it as I suspect the free version probably doesn't support those schedules.

I have been using Turbo Tax since mid 90's. I use the Deluxe edition. Never had any issues and the improvements over the years have been great. I have used sched c, se, 1099's, sched e and a variety of others and all are pretty much a breeze. Plus, it will roll info over to next year's edition which will really cut down on input time.

rockymtn: does it cover rental property deductions? just wanted to know if the deluxe edition covered rental property?

Back in the day the TT progam would uninstall itself (at your command) after you completed your taxes. However, for the past several years TT highly recommends that you keep the TT program for each year (in addition to copies of your return and worksheets) on your PC after filing taxes.

This feature came in very handy for me recently when I had to file amended returns for 3 prior years. TT retained my completed forms,which could be updated, and the rules in effect for those years. I had to mail in the amended returns. Could not E-file.

Last edited:
Back in the day the TT progam would uninstall itself (at your command) after you completed your taxes. However, for the past several years TT highly recommends that you keep the TT program for each year (in addition to copies of your return and worksheets) on your PC after filing taxes.

This feature came in very handy for me recently when I had to file amended returns for 3 prior years. TT retained my completed forms,which could be updated, and the rules in effect for those years. I had to mail in the amended returns. Could not E-file.

I wonder why they can't make it backwards compatible, in other words if I have the 2010 version of TT and my TT income tax return files from 2009, 2008, etc that I could then do an amended return for any of those years. That would sure beat taking up hard drive space with the TT program for numerous years.

I use TT online through Vanguard, in the cloud if I recall they have my returns from 1996 in pdf files. I have the original TT disc from 1995 that appears to open all my older than dirt .TAX files.

pb4uski said:
I wonder why they can't make it backwards compatible, in other words if I have the 2010 version of TT and my TT income tax return files from 2009, 2008, etc that I could then do an amended return for any of those years. That would sure beat taking up hard drive space with the TT program for numerous years.

Most of the space used by the tax programs are the year-specific forms and the form-specific scripts that drive them. The TurboTax program in particular is sort of like a spreadsheet app, loading the form scripts and running each of them to present the user interface and do he data collection and math to generate completed forms. There's a new version of the TurboTax engine every year to go along with the forms, which contains both bug fixes, and new capabilities to support enhancements in the scripts needed for new tax code changes.

If the tax code, IRS interpretations, and form sets would stay put for a few years the authors of the software could make the whole thing backwards compatible. Alas, the tax code is written in a language that doesn't support machine verification, and is not provably correct. That means the software is constantly chasing the latest changes in law, regulations, IRS rulings, and findings. (On several occasions the engineers working on TurboTax have uncovered circular dependencies in the forms. Tax calculation via iteration and prayer that the parameter set is always bounded to a convergent series!)

Even if you file the free federal form , they all charge for the state form and I noticed that tax act was a little less than turbo tax.

I often wonder about having all my personal information on cyberspace. Doesn't it bother you guys to have your info out there year after year? don't you worry about the companies being hacked and the info stolen?

I often wonder about having all my personal information on cyberspace. Doesn't it bother you guys to have your info out there year after year? don't you worry about the companies being hacked and the info stolen?
That's one reason why I do not do my taxes online. My tax data is stored on a drive that is disconnected when I'm online.

As for myself? No.

There are many ways to steal your personal info and easier than trying to get to an online encrypted file.

I would be more concerned about the person at the IRS that may review your form, filed on-line or hardcopy than some third party person. Here's an example of a government employee from another agency doing that exact thing:

Veriphyr: Social Security Employee Steals Personal Information for Identity Theft

And if you're a cheap old b*stard like me who dosen't want to pay for a stamp, using mail (which can be stolen from my curb mailbox and any checks can be washed - see: Check washing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and uses on-line facilities to pay bills and transfer funds (both investment and bank) for many years, you get over the fear of somebody stealing your information.

Heck, a lot of info gets obtained from your trash if you're not careful; the reason why I put anything with my name through a home shreader before I put it in the trash.

Just my POV...

That's one reason why I do not do my taxes online. My tax data is stored on a drive that is disconnected when I'm online.
Don't get me wrong, what you are doing is a good practice.

But the first thing the IRS does with your paper forms is enter the data into a computer. They are getting most 1099's and w2's electronically.

For some people, just googling their name can be a real eye-opener.

Back
Top Bottom