this old stiff...

palomalou

Recycles dryer sheets
I can't help noticing that in the last 6 months or so, when I sit for 45 minutes or more and then stand up to walk, I am quite stiff for 30 seconds or so. I'm 57. Use treadmill many days 50 minutes, except when work precludes (that pesky work!). Is this just how it goes with aging? I don't hurt at all.:(

Arthritis, perhaps? Is this generalized aches or specific to one part of the body?

The same thing happens for me and I interpret it as muscle stiffness, not joint related. Would love to hear if there's a way to arrest this.

Any new medication? I found that Allopurinol (for gout) made me stiff/walk like I was 20 years older. Other meds also had a stiffening effect.

No new meds for quite some time. I do have arthritis in my spine, but what I'm describing is not painful, just that for a minute or so I walk like a little old lady. Then I'm back to normal. I take glucosamine/chondroitin. Rather sorry to hear that some others have this too, but it does make me think I'm not some weird anomaly.

At 55 I'm seeing more like this. I walk the dog about 30-45 min a day and do 2 mile run most days, but my lower back gets stiff. I try to stretch more, but not sure that is doing much help.

I'm sure if there are things we can do to help we would appreciate posts. I'm not ready to write off as one more thing to get used to as I age less than gracefully.

Stretches might help. I'm doing 10 'press ups' every 2-3 of hours throughout the day, and a few others once/twice a day (google MacKenzie Method for more). Hard to tell cause/effect.

-ERD50

I have this feeling if I'm not being good and doing my yoga stretching DVD.

I can't help noticing that in the last 6 months or so, when I sit for 45 minutes or more and then stand up to walk, I am quite stiff for 30 seconds or so. .:(
Same problem here.
To counter, I keep a dumbbell (comedians enter comment here)on the desk, and every 25 minutes or so, I stand up and do 10 curls. Even better, stand on one leg, then the other. No more stiffness and arms like Arnold.;)

Is this just how it goes with aging? I don't hurt at all.:(
Yes.

If I work out, then I go from being "stiff" to "stiff & sore".

If I regularly stretch then I go from being "stiff" to "slightly less stiff". But the phenomenon is still there.

Part of it is from fluid accumulating in the joints (perhaps from swelling & irritation) when you sit in one position for a long period, so fidgeting can help delay the onset.

I get stiff but not sore after sitting awhile also - from the lower back down. But not after being asleep for several hours.

Is this just how it goes with aging? I don't hurt at all.:(
Yes.

If I work out, then I go from being "stiff" to "stiff & sore".

If I regularly stretch then I go from being "stiff" to "slightly less stiff". But the phenomenon is still there.

Part of it is from fluid accumulating in the joints (perhaps from swelling & irritation) when you sit in one position for a long period, so fidgeting can help delay the onset.

+1 Nords' response very nicely articulates what I wanted to say, as well.

On the bright side - - I am 63, and by now I am so used to being a little stiff when I first stand up that I don't even notice it any more. I just don't jump up from my chair and bolt off immediately, but instead take my time.

I'm pretty certain it's inevitable result of aging. The highway exit to get to my house is at an angle to the intersecting street. After living here 25 years I now have to turn my whole body to check for oncoming traffic....the neck just won't turn enough.

Talk about getting stiff, after an 8 hr car ride, I need a deep tissue massage to loosen me up:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom