Back to the gym

I got pretty used to working out at home during the pandemic, but lately I’ve been feeling the need for some better equipment and to get out of the apartment more often.

I decided to rejoin a gym. It’s a ten minute drive each way (which I’m not crazy about) or a 45 minute, fairly unpleasant walk. Month to month, $30with first month free. Parking is $2, so add another $25-30/mo to that.

It’s definitely dirtier than my home, but not too crowded weekday mornings. The crowd is…interesting? Equipment is pretty good.

I feel a bit mixed on this decision. How are the rest of you faring these days on the workout plan?

love, love, love working out at home - will probably never join a gym again. I'm in better shape, don't have to deal with driving anywhere (I don't live in a pedestrian-friendly place) dealing with rude people who hog equipment while texting or don't wipe off machines after their use - and I'm in better shape now than when I went regularly (due to ease/proximity of working out). :dance:

It was one of the FEW good things to come out of the pandemic.

Last edited:
I'm making some serious progress with my workouts! The effort I'm putting in at the gym is really paying off. I'm pushing myself to new limits and seeing noticeable improvements in strength and energy levels. Staying consistent and committed is key.

evan, welcome to the Forum. Please consider introducing yourself at https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/

We'd love to get acquainted. Share only what you're comfortable with.

Aloha

I halted going to the gym in May 2020 and returned in May 2021. Definitely lost a lot of strength during that layoff as I was not doing much at home, other than walking. Took a few months to regain strength. Now old age is the only thing preventing me from more gains in the gym, as those days of 225 BP for reps are over.

Our gym was only closed for a couple months. I started back as soon as they reopened. I did not really have a good set-up for working out at home with weights …just a couple of dumbbells. The gym has lots of elliptical type equipment and and full sized pool which I use often.

I went to the gym pre-covid and enjoyed the commmeraderie. There was a bunch of older gentlemen that would get there around 5AM. We had the place to ourselves.

Although, continuing the conversation at a local diner for coffee and doughnuts wasn't our best idea.

We just moved to an area with lots of outside activities, so we probably won't be goinng back to the gym.

I went back to my gym as soon as it opened. I worked out at home during Covid, but really missed the variety of weights and machines, the elliptical trainer, and my gym buddies and the long-time staff members.

FYI. Guard your possessions closely, as I had my wallet stolen out of a locked locker at Esporta Fitness Center.
Apparently my lock was cut and my wallet stolen.
I was told by the policeman that this is a common problem in fitness centers.

Yes, it's a very common problem. A few years ago there was a theft ring in my area with 15 or more members hitting local gyms, stealing wallets, keys, and sometimes cars from the parking lot. It got busted when a young lady was caught trying to use a stolen credit card. The thieves seem to prefer lockers farther away from the locker room entrance, so I always choose a locker near the locker room entrance.

Soon as Covid hit I canceled my 24/7 gym membership and do exercises at home with a few weights,bands,steps,and mini trampoline.
Sometimes I just want to go somewhere that's 24/7 and use heavier weights and a nice elliptical.

Still hope to find a 24/7 gym I could just throw down cash or apple pay to get in without commitment and paperwork involved.
Don't need a swimming pool,shower/lockers,etc.. ...just machines and free weights.

Go when I want.

Back
Top Bottom