5 year anniversary

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
Today, August 3, is the 5 year anniversary of my retirement. :dance:

In some respects it seems like it has been just a few months and in other respects it seems like 15 years. Time is an odd thing, where did 5 years go?

Hoping for another 5. :greetings10:

Happy anniversary. Feels so good...:D

Congradulations! I retired in March 08 so not too far behind. I saw we were entering a market downturn but didn't expect it would be as big/long as it was/is. Must have been even more scary for you. Any financial and personal highlights to report?

Congratulations!

I read a great line in a book recently - "The days are long, but the years are short"

Congratulations !

Do you have and wise and learned reflections on the transition ?

Congrats, hope to reach that same milestone in 5 years and 6 months:D

Brofist with explosion or whatever cheer you want to use :) Congratulations.

Very happy for you! Five years! I still have 3 years and one month to go......yes, time passes so fast.

Congrats! My 5th was March 31st and I agree, in some ways it seems like just yesterday I retired. But in other ways it seems like a long time ago. One thing I do miss about my old job was the annual golf/fishing to Destin, FL. A fun time for people in sales and in management. I still get invited, but decline because I do not want to feel obligated to go back for any fill in work in case my replacement ever left. Better to cut ties completely.

Congratulations!!! I wish you many more hears of retirement bliss!

Congradulations! I retired in March 08 so not too far behind. I saw we were entering a market downturn but didn't expect it would be as big/long as it was/is. Must have been even more scary for you. Any financial and personal highlights to report?

Congratulations !

Do you have and wise and learned reflections on the transition ?

This was a terrible time to retire, 3 or 4 months before the $hit hit the fan. We all know it's the order of returns that can make or break your retirement. I'm doing fine financially as I LBYM and always have. I took only $20k from investments to help pay off the mortgage but other than that I have not touched investments. I stupidly rode the whole debacle down to the March 9th low and then in July when the market was up 27% I decided to take the little I made back and go to fixed income, I figured it was a gift and the market was going lower. So due to that dumb move I'm still 13% below where I was in late 2007, unless the market really has a great bull run I'll never make it up. I used to be 60/40 but now I'm 35/65 and it takes a lot to move that 35% in equities.

Going to work provided human interaction and I wasn't sure of it's value. In retrospect, it is the only part of retiring that created any type of problem. I'm a hermit but I have the personality to deal with that. However, there have been times I wished I had more interaction with people. I made an attempt to strike up a friendship that I hoped would lead to more with an old friend/co worker but either she's not interested or I was too subtle. That hurt but I pulled up my big boy pants and carried on. But don't misread the lack of human interaction, getting a part time job for that is not even a remote possibility.

So here's to another 5 years! :clap:

Best wishes to you and here's hoping for many happy years to come!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom