My bucket is 9/10 full

jane2017

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, all,

Looooong time lurker...I still remember CFB and the bacon flowchart as it developed. Everyone feels like old friends, to the extent that anonymous strangers can feel so familiar.

Today, I had a very difficult and demoralizing conversation with my boss. Specifics are not important and I understand that bad days come with the territory. But today I finally felt unappreciated and essentially alone. As has been said on the forum...my s* bucket is very very very close to full.

I've been planning my retirement off and on for the past 10 years. Kept tacking on 5 more years, since I enjoyed the job. Until today. Now, 2017 can not get here soon enough.

Why do you have to wait to 2017? I hated every day I was at work for at least the last 12 years. Left as soon to the day as I could and get medical and pension.

I'm 45, spousal unit is 49. I need to work 5 more years for health insurance and move from a 4% to a 3% draw.

Also, the unit and I have been having the same argument about my desire for FIRE for the past few years. Short version, he gave up his dream job so I could have mine. He has not liked his jobs in at least 5 years but he will not retire (very much identifies with his job). My working until normal retirement is payback. Needless to say this adds to my current stress.

Welcome Jane :flowers:

I hit the s* wall 6 years out from 55 when I could ER with pension and medical insurance so I know how you feel. I was able to switch positions within Megacorp and my spousal unit semi-retired which made it easier to drag ourselves to the finish line.

All the very best of luck to you both.

Yup. All the political stuff that I had managed to avoid the last five years have really bubbled up. Coupled with a weakened superior/previous champion, it finally exceeded by threshold of bearable.

Unit may not be cuckoo but he is pigheaded about many things. He is redirectable, but I may not have enough time to get him to change his views on this. We have been talking about FIRE for a long time.

I feel for you. I also have about 3 more years to work in a job I used to love, but not so much anymore. About 5 years ago, several things happened to make it pretty miserable. I have worked here 29 years, and I don't like change, so I'll drag myself here for a few more years. It would be worse to change jobs and lose my 7 weeks vacation each year. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome. My Dw went through a similar experience last year. We reversed our plans and she retired. I kept my job which currently is not stressfull. Still planning on a 2014 or 2015 retirement.

I am in a similar boat. We are working to pay off a loan before retiring. DH loves his new job and will work several years after I am done. But I have never liked my job because of the politics and egos. I am quietly excited about an impending layoff and hope it comes sooner rather than later. Later would be better, though, as we will alter our plan if it happens before our loan is done. I have tried to be more positive about the days at work but I still am very happy when 5 pm comes around and just plain giddy about weekends. Any new month brings with it another mortgage payment that takes us closer to our goal and I happily log the extra principle in my amortization schedule. We buy a CD every 3 months and I am like a kid on Christmas day on CD buying day because it is another step towards independence. I know I should be looking for another job but health care is free for me and DH and I now have 4 weeks vacation.

Cass

Why do you have to wait to 2017? I hated every day I was at work for at least the last 12 years. Left as soon to the day as I could and get medical and pension.
Keep in mind that many of us don't get medical and a pension if we retire on some "magical date". It makes pulling the trigger a LOT scarier and a LOT less secure. (On the flip side, it doesn't keep "golden handcuffs" on us if we've reached the point where we're taking more BS than we can stand.)

Today, I had a very difficult and demoralizing conversation with my boss. Specifics are not important and I understand that bad days come with the territory. But today I finally felt unappreciated and essentially alone. As has been said on the forum...my s* bucket is very very very close to full.

I've been planning my retirement off and on for the past 10 years. Kept tacking on 5 more years, since I enjoyed the job. Until today. Now, 2017 can not get here soon enough.
First off, welcome. A couple of thoughts come to mind...

Hard to imagine how one conversation with your boss could kill off "I enjoyed the job" - but I know it can certainly seem that way, or indeed be that way. Is it a boss or mgmt regime you don't get along with? If so, you might be able to outlast him/her/them. I had a terrible boss for 3 years mid-career and thought about leaving, but I waited him out and had a great career after that. He was eventually fired and personally ruined (not that I hoped for the latter). Even though he made us all miserable, I am very thankful I didn't leave, I had a series of decent bosses after the horrible one.

Is another position or change in responsibility at current Corp a better option? Might give you some peace to work toward a better situation.

I don't presume to know your specific situation, just some thoughts. Give it some time though, and keep your options open, hopefully the situation can improve. Best of luck...

First off, welcome. A couple of thoughts come to mind...

<snip>. I had a terrible boss for 3 years mid-career and thought about leaving, but I waited him out and had a great career after that. He was eventually fired and personally ruined (not that I hoped for the latter). Even though he made us all miserable, I am very thankful I didn't leave, I had a series of decent bosses after the horrible one.

Ditto. My mantra is "bosses change". If its the boss that's bugging you, it will change. If its the management regime, it will change. I feel GOOD when I outlast the bad boss / ridiculous mgmt scheme's.

Hang tough and do whats best for YOU in the long run. Don't make short term decisions that you might regret long term.

Back
Top Bottom