Deadliest J**s in America

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Military is not listed, but it's probably below fisherman.

gr-pm-fatalities-616.gif

http://www.npr.org/news/graphics/2013/01/pm-jobdeaths/gr-pm-fatalities-616.gif

Ha, what do they consider a "work related death" for someone with a desk job? You just happen to have a heart attack at your desk and it's "work related"? :LOL:

Is death during retirement work related?

What about POTUS? IIRC, four of 44 (actually 43) have been fatally shot, for a mortality rate of 10%. Another 6 were the victims of assassination attempts.

I know, it's a small sample, but still.....

What about POTUS? IIRC, four of 44 (actually 43) have been fatally shot, for a mortality rate of 10%. Another 6 were the victims of assassination attempts.

I know, it's a small sample, but still.....

Also, William Henry Harrison died of pneumonia a month in. He gave too long of an inauguration speech in the cold weather. Fun stuff,

Ha, what do they consider a "work related death" for someone with a desk job? You just happen to have a heart attack at your desk and it's "work related"? :LOL:
Commonly it is due to some whacko witha couple guns who got fired. Or a 7-11 clerk. And don't forget teachers, bus drivers, messengers etc.

Ha

Last edited:
Anyone who watched Deadliest Catch can see that the fisherman statistic makes sense.

I went out once with a logger many years ago. He was missing fingers on both hands. I can imagine losing more than fingers in that job.

I am surprised there are not more clinicians being murdered by angry patients or family members.

No surprise that fishing and logging are the most deadly. In the small town where I grew up logging and fishing were the main occupations. Many lost family and friends to these jobs. I lost a cousin to a logging accident, he was in his early twenties. :(

Is there an article to go with that?

It looks a lot different from the ones I've seen recently. I think the grouping is different, and maybe they didn't show everything in-between? IIRC, police were not even in the top ten? But fishers were #1, with loggers and farmers were near the top.

Here's one, different categories, similar though.

Top 10 Most Dangerous Jobs In 2011

-ERD50

No surprise that fishing and logging are the most deadly. In the small town where I grew up logging and fishing were the main occupations. Many lost family and friends to these jobs. I lost a cousin to a logging accident, he was in his early twenties. :(

Gives me a greater appreciation for the fishing (Wicked Tuna)and lumbering (Axe men) reality shows on History Channel etc.

So is Office/Business/Finance the lowest:confused:

Seen 5 people died in last 2 years. 3 I would say not job related as it was due to cancer. But 2 were definitely job related(stress and one dude keep on working instead of going to the hospital).

I am surprised there are not more clinicians being murdered by angry patients or family members.

The families don't need to murder them. Suicide is much more common....

Medscape: Medscape Access

It's a big issue for residents in Ireland at present. The harsh conditions under which I trained have worsened, and now the junior ocs are not even getting paid.

Hospital offers counselling over doctor suicides - National News - Independent.ie

Going forward, looking back - The Medical Independent

I recall two physician colleagues lost to suicide during my training, and two others during my career as an attending.

Time to ER, obgyn!

geesh ... PILOTS at number 3 .... what about the poor souls who went down with him.

All you get is one pilot to make a smoke'n-hole with a load of Business and Finance Staff to skew these numbers.

I guess I should be glad I'm in that "Business and Finance Staff" group but I would probably have a lot more fun in those riskier jobs.

geesh ... PILOTS at number 3 .... what about the poor souls who went down with him.

All you get is one pilot to make a smoke'n-hole with a load of Business and Finance Staff to skew these numbers.

Actually, 2012 was the safest year ever for commercial aviation.

2012: Air Travel

Most of the pilot deaths (at least in North America) would have been small private or commercial flights. In fact, there were two such crashes within 10 Km of my home. Small planes, overloaded, trying to get over the highest mountain in the area in really hot weather and being unable to climb....oops!

Hot Weather Flying

The families don't need to murder them. Suicide is much more common....

Time to ER, obgyn!

Yep, first they become frequent posters on ER forums, next thing you know .... :dead:

As the saying goes, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like his passengers...

Back
Top Bottom