Vanguard Emerging Markets Government Bond Index Fund

pb4uski

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have been meaning to buy this fund when it became available. I was about to do so when I noticed that there is a .75% front end load (purchase fee) on the mutual fund versions.

It looks like if I wait and buy the ETF (available in early June; ticker:VWOB) that there would not be any purchase fee. While I recognize there may be difference between the ETF trading price and the NAV, I'm wondering if I would be better off waiting for the ETF and hopefully the premium would be less than .75%.

What do you think?

Vanguard loads are typically not sales charges because the fees are returned to the fund itself. Still, if an ETF version is soon to become available it might make sense to wait.

I understand what you are saying but where it goes is of lesser concern to methan the fact that it comes out of my pocket.

I'd be hesitant. I'm not a fan of load fees (front or back end). Instead, I'd go for an ETF. Ease of purchase and sale, and never any load fees. I think I'm done with mutual funds and moving to ETFs.

Lately, I like and am buying VYM (Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index) ETF, up about 11% YTD. SPY is also good. Plus they give a nice dividend that you can plow right back in buying more shares or just let collect as liquid funds.

Last edited:
IIRC this is a fund that Vanguard has been "almost ready" to roll out for many months. I will be a buyer, but I am in no rush. (Rotating out of MSD, a closed-end EM debt fund with a 1.18% expense ratio.)

Buying the new MF during the subscription period holds no attraction to me. I will be waiting for both the mutual fund and the ETF to have some trading days to look at, then make a decision on which to buy.

Anybody know what the duration/yield will be roughly? vanguard still doesn't have this info on their site.

Back
Top Bottom