I think I did it

JasmineJ

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm 59 years old and was planning to retire next spring. However, my work situation added an additional amount of stress to my life and I decided why wait? I can go now and enjoy the summer. So I gave notice. I didn't tell my boss that I'm retiring and he is baffled even after I said that I was burned out and quitting to sort things out. He can't imagine anyone leaving that doesn't have another job lined up or is 65 years old and retiring.

FireCalc has been telling me that I'm good to go and a couple of other retirement calculators have said the same thing. I have myself in a no debt situaion - mortgage paid on condo, car paid off, etc. and I completed all that this year. I have 401Ks, IRAs, taxable investments, cash, small pension ($600/month) coming in 2018, and small annuity ($650/month) starting in 2025. My investments and cash total $1.1 million. Right now, the plan is to wait until 66 to starting drawing SS. I've been living below my means for my whole working life.

I think I'll pay COBRA for a while. It's been recommended that I see a health insurance broker to see what my options are between now and ACA.

My last day of work is July 23rd. I'm a little stunned but excited.

Congratulations, it's great to leave the rat race and all the insanity behind. Folks that don't "get it" are generally so far from FI. they can't understand.

MRG

Congratulations!!

Now you need to change your retirement year in your profile. :)

Congratulations! You will never look back. I'm pulling the plug next month. To deal with the "you're too young to retire" comments, I plan on saying that it's a midlife sabbatical, so people will think that I'm just taking a break from work.

Way to go. You will never regret it.

Congratulations! You earned it!

....I think I'll pay COBRA for a while. It's been recommended that I see a health insurance broker to see what my options are between now and ACA. ....

Congratulations on your decision. Exciting.

FWIW, I found that buying an individual health insurance plan was less expensive than COBRA, os you might want to check it out, even if it is just for the rest of 2013.

CONGRATS!!!

FWIW, I found that buying an individual health insurance plan was less expensive than COBRA, os you might want to check it out, even if it is just for the rest of 2013.

Make sure you can even get a decent individual plan before turning down COBRA. Some people with pre-existing conditions, whether real or imagined by the HCP, will be denied coverage in the open market.

Woohoo! Love reading these stories of people pulling the plug. Hope you enjoy it. :)

One reason I switched to COBRA (I was still working at the time but had reduced my hours to the point at which I could not remain in my company's group health plan) was so I could keep my good dental coverage, something I could not do with an indiividual HI policy. And I knew I would be facing some costly dental work in the next 18 months. If you (JasmineJ, the OP) have dental coverage and wish to keep it for another 18 months, consider COBRA.

Back
Top Bottom